Netflix halts supporting Samsung and other televisions from 2010 and 2011

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Take that, customers.

HonoredShadow, ManuKey and SamuelL421 like this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Throw away this 1 way propaganda already.

Be a man, use PC.

ManuKey likes this.
  4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    But, but, I thought DRM was there to protect and enable the defenseless little consumer??? :p

I mean, there are generally close to a dozen ways to watch Netflix in any given living place but this still stucks.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    There isn't any PC solution in the world that can replace an app on the TV :)

For me it's one click on the TV remote to start Netflix, that's unbeatable. The only downside of the app is that it's slower and sometimes bugs.

If I'm to use the PC, I have to start it, wait for it to boot into windows, change display to TV, start Netflix and navigate everything through a wireless keyboard.

6. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    LOL, still watching SD TV?? Just watch stuff off the PC all the time, saves things like pesky adverts and weather problems with aerials...

Hell if designed properly the PC just goes to sleep and starts with one touch of the wireless keyboard (or controller if you want to use one).

I never liked the argument in favour of lazy...

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Damn, that's ultimate laziness right there.

ManuKey, Loophole35 and RzrTrek like this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Meh...no great loss.

Paltry numbers - who even owns a teevee from that era, deep in the past of history? They didn't even have colour back in those days...

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    IMO - the best way to watch any content is a TV connected to a PC.

Right now, I have 4k Samsung 55 inch connected to my PC via HDMI.
    Watch any content you want, when you want and not a single advert.

Slap on top of it SVP and you have 4k content running at butter smooth (in my case) 144fps.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Some people are not into buying the latest devices every time it gets released and tend to use devices carefully not breaking them after a year of usage.

But hey, here is the real question, did you have colour on yourself back in 2010, or were you just black and white?

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    And, you mean to tell me that the television having Netflix in 2010 was a defacto-decision-making-crux argument? Not buying it.

A teevee from that era would have (possibly) had Plasma and 1080P (I think Samsung were one of the last to have Plasma) and the notion of applications would have been furthest from buyers' mind.

I am wondering why Netflix are doing this, though....fast-forward feature?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Rarely, and it's HD TV if you please and always channels that don't have adverts. Still, I use the 65 inch TV mainly for Netflix, Youtube, BluRay movies and of course gaming with a controller.

So it's wrong to have a sofa and a TV nowadays?

I didn't know watching Netflix was supposed to be a chore. It's not laziness, it's called convenience.

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I didn't expect Netflix to remove support completely, I had thought it would still work with older apps, like on old Android versions

I never fell for the Smart TV stuff though, I'm also one of those who connect a PC to the TV

14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Dont think ive ever used a "smart tv" that was worth using, without me replacing it for an external "smart" option, 9 years isnt a bad run for software support for an old tv, its only a matter of $20 that can get you an amazon stick or similar.
    Nothing you buy remains latest and greatest forever, its a matter of advancement.

15. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Didn't Samsung themselves already drop support for those TV's years ago? They didn't stop snooping, of course...

16. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Guess all those users of these older TVs will now have to resort to piracy. Good job DRM. You always make such compelling arguments!

ManuKey and Silva like this.
  17. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Or just buy chromecast. Works better anyways than crappy builtin software on old tvs.

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol limewire

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

I have to say, this time I side with @Netherwind for the following reasons, in my situation which is as follows:

So I have an HTPC, 1080p capable (ryzen 2400G), hooked to my old (1080p) and new TV via HDMI. This year I bought a new LG 4K TV, technically a 100Hz panel.
    My old mainboard is not capable of HDMI above 1.4, meaning I can't display full 4K with colors and framerates, as far as I understand. Also, the 2400G's IGPU is not performant enough since I tried to use 4K but was limited by my options there, or I did something else wrong, which is a possibility.

With the HTPC I have to turn on the HTPC, then the TV, use more power that way, have to have the right standards for the connection to make use of high res content.
    Whereas an integrated TV app on the smart TV just... starts at the push of a button. And shuts down just as fast. A single sleep timer if you're even somebody fancying using this.
    Also, technically you can't get more out of the Netflix content than with the latest TV anyway, no matter how good your PC is. Best Netflix does is 60fps HDR / Dolby Vision. No matter how high you set your PC, the source content's not better than a good TVthese days.

If I'm wrong on anything of this, please let me know. Until then, I share Netherwind's opinion. Although I have to admit, I am already wondering when I'll make use of my TV's alleged Freesync compatability, or that they now are said to be supporting "Gsync ready" equivalent usage. Only that my mainboard only has one PCIe slot which is taken by my DVB-C card, which originally did the recording.... but lately, "analogue TV" (as in digital TV but with normal channels like we grew up with) is really, really not worth the hassle... 50% of it is commericals except one TV station I'd like to watch, which does not offer me the APP in my country of origin.

(ARTE tv for those from France or Germany, which does have an app for my TV, which is just not supported in Austria... bummer, so far for no borders in Europe and no geoblocking. :mad:)

Netherwind likes this.
  20. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    While my Samsung smart TV is not that old, it's getting on a bit (2013). But I still have zero reason to upgrade. Over in UK, terrestrial TV still tops out at 1080i unless you have some super expensive sky package. Hell most of our channels are still broadcasting in SD!

The lack of progress in terrestrial tv specifications is surely holding a lot of people back.