Most graphically advanced title (2017 edition)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Most graphically advanced game of 2017

1. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Frostbite 3.5)

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (Id tech 6.5)

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Assasssin's Creed Origins (AnvilNext)

28 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (RE engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Forza Motorsport 7 (Forzatech engine)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Call of Duty WW2 (IW engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (UE4)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Total War Warhammer 2 (Warscape engine)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Destiny 2 (Inhouse engine)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other (Please specify)

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Does this comparison fairly show Witcher 3 with it's new PS4 Pro update that boosted IQ?

Never said PC doesn't look better. PC is extremely more powerful. That's the sad part. It's like owning a V8 engine and driving it 2 blocks to work everyday, what a waste. What I and many here have stated is, those few extra shadows and higher res textures aren't THAT big of a difference and certainly do not justify the prices of PC components vs. console. $400 bucks, a PS4 Pro does it all and you enjoy from your couch. That's cheaper than a 1080. Not even counting mobo, ram, psu, case, hd, etc. For extra shadows?

Nah.

I get it - if you're young and have different priorities (Lord knows in my early 20's I was there) or if you have more money than sense and can afford to do it, cool! For me, now at 36. Nah...rather use that extra cash toward a furnace or something. The differences have become negligible - especially with these mid-gen refreshers Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Exactly.

3. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    PS4 pro update only enables higher resolution.

PC has extra shadows, shaders, better textures, better lod, Hairworks... Just these distance shadows make big difference. Also on PC you can increase graphics quality through configuration files and mods.
    My Witcher 3 looks better and i have higher fps then PS4 on my PC which is cheap. You don't need such a powerful machine. And PC is a tool also.
    Btw, i'm 42 years young :cool:

4. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah that list badly needs Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It runs on CryEngine which on its own is tech-wise more advanced than any of those titles on the list. KC might not look as realistic as some but overall the engine does have the most impressive tech behind it. But of those games on the list, BF2 easily takes the cake with Frostbite 3.5.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It was a toss up between Horizon Zero Dawn and Assasin’s Creed Origins for me but in the end I voted for Ubisoft’s game because I just prefer the setting and theme more, plus it can look positively jaw-dropping at times due to the sheer scale, something the PS4 game doesn’t have to the same extent. It was close though.

Serotonin likes this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    To each his own.

7. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Umm.. no they don't. But my point was that PC garphics aren't garbage.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I do hope Kingdom Come will update to the Cry Engine V builds rather than the 3.x builds the beta ran on but they've long since stopped updating the beta so the focus can be on finalizing the game itself and getting it ready for release which seems to finally be happening sometime during the first quarter next year. :)

It takes time and a lot of work to migrate over though but tech wise even if it doesn't use the newest Cry Engine V build it would still enable a lot of additional features and several improvements and fixes to existing stuff in the engine.

The current 5.4 version for example has support for Vulkan in addition to DX12 added in earlier and also updates anti-aliasing including a new method which uses temporal super-sampling.
    http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC1/CRYENGINE+5.4.0
    (Aliasing a real eyesore for image quality. http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Anti-Aliasing )

And well there's too much for listing every update or just the graphical or render related ones but Crytek does provide really good documentation for the engine and changelogs plus console cvar explanations and more so it's interesting to see what they're adding.

https://www.cryengine.com/roadmap

And a roadmap. :)

9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Compared to the bars the used to raise, I disagree. But again, to each his/her own. Every jungle shot you uploaded reminded me of Crysis to be honest. And Ryse? I mean...come on. That's dated on everything.

I'll check the video out when I get home. I do remember water vividly being the only noticeable difference for me between each, and it wasn't HUGE, but it was fairly noticeable.

11. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I thought Call of duty WWII was the most taxing video game since you can't max out all the options even with a 1070 GTX card. If you go from highest or high to extra on some of the options the game runs worse, so i figured it would probably be the only taxing game of this year.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    game looks identical on both platforms, u barely see any difference except 60 fps gameplay on pc, the consoles are a big time hamper for our beloved AAA exclusives....we can't do anything , it s how gaming companies are focused on, because simply it sells more......

Serotonin likes this.
  13. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    From the list given I'd go with Battlefront 2. But I haven't played all the listed games. Still, BF2 does look very good especially on maps that show more details outside of the generally-bland Imperial interior maps since Imperial infrastructure in general is very simple, consist of basic geometric and industrial forms and are very much only colored with tones of greys whites and blacks. But that's not the engine's fault, that's just how that universe looks like under those conditions. But on some maps like Kashyyyk, Endor, Kamino and Tatooine where texture details, lightning and shadow effects on more detailed surfaces become more prominent it does looks very impressive (and accurate to the universe and the movies).

With this said, however, the one thing that impressed me even more visually-speaking this year isn't a released game, but it was the (obviously-scripted) Anthem demonstration. I do have the feeling that the actual game will 1) Not look like that to start with and 2) Will not be actually fun. But that's beyond the objective point of this thread. The "demo" in and of itself, for me, is what impressed me the most this year in terms of 'technical capabilities' and visuals and depth. But I'm not including art-style at all here, otherwise my vote would automatically go for Cuphead and I'm definitely not joking. The art and care for it that oozes from that game plain and simple destroys everything else from this year in terms of 'generic' (yet, advanced) visuals. The whole 'realistic' or 'semi-realistic' or 'photo-realistic' style has been done to death and IS very generic by now regardless of the amount of polygons on models or shadow effect accuracy and post-processing shenanigans you'd throw at it.

14. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Main character in Ryse has 85 000 triangles which makes him to be probably the most detailed character ever. And they downgraded it from 150 000 triangles because of shitty consoles.
    The game use physical based rendering and all Cryengine 3 features. This game is not dated.
    For comparison Uncharted 4 main character has 81 000 triangles.
    The most detailed Skyrim character dragon Alduin has 15 000 triangles, but this is open world game and it is last gen. Open world games are more demanding by it's nature, so high character polycount is not possible, aka Witcher 3. So people keep this in mind when compare games graphics. Of course if these games were PC exclusives, that would be a different story.

Serotonin likes this.
  15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    What makes you think it's coded to use 16 logical processors?

16. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    For me, the biggest difference from the consoles and PC it is not the graphics (for me) but many other stuff.
    I think where we stand now, the graphics on consoles and PC are pretty good already.
    I'm not sure how old are you all, I'm also not that older, but I was born in 1989 and I've started playing games with 5 years old where most games were just pixels.

I've been through the age where a simple change from medium to high or high to ultra on the settings menu of the games, would give us a great boost in image quality, like water reflections that weren't available, or simply enable dynamic shadows that would entirelly change the graphics of the game. Remember GTA SA that lacked any envoriment shadow on the consoles for example?

Nowadays I think most graphic settings on the games (depends a lot on the games) barely changes, I'm with @SerotoNiN on this one, when we talk about graphics fidelity.
    There will be always extra details on the PC, but the price you pay to get them, it's just insane for slighty small extra details, something that before were big changes.

Altough, there is one thing that keeps me away from consoles.
    The first, my huge steam library and lack of montly fees.
    The Second, the personalization.. I'm able to choose whatever I want regarding settings and framerate, I'm able to tweak stuff the way I want, and I'm able to play with the inputs I want.
    This second point it is probably the most important thing to me.

Dispite many developers give support to PS4 PRO and Xbox one X and let the users choose between graphics or performance, many games don't allow you to run with 60FPS in a consistent way because of the CPU.
    GTA V for example, it is locked to 30FPS whatever if you play with a PS4 or PS4 PRO, I can deal with 30FPS in any third person shooter, but between playing at 30FPS and playing at 50/60FPS with a system with 8 years old and a GPU that is 1 year and half older than the PS4 with a mix between high and very high Settings, I pick my PC.

There will be always opinions, benefits and disadvantages of the PC and consoles.
    My brother built a PC for working and doing some multimedia stuff, but he also wanted to play a little bit on it (just because, he plays on a PS4), so I've choose something low tier like a 1050TI and before he started playing recent games, he wanted to revive some old games he played on the PC, tried Trackmania Nations Forever, which refuses to enter with a white screen, I had to solve it for him by going to the config file of the game, also Flatout Ultimate Carnage had a problem with GFWL that prevented the game to normally enter without going doing some side jobs.
    Dispite the workarounds are well documented on steam forums, it's always a little bit off to come home, tired of working, and go help your wife with some stuff, and then you have like 1 hour or 2 free for you, and you spend like 30 minutes researching on stupid problems that sometimes happens.
    Not even to talk about the AAA titles on DAY ONE recently on the PC, consoles also have some troubles, but comparing to PC on DAY One, most games come with some stupid problems sometimes.
    My brother even said:
    "Thank god I have a PS4 and now I remember why I got tired of the PC"

So I can clearly understand both sides of the fences here, I will probably remain on the PC as my main Gaming platform, but IMO PC it is not for everyone.
    People like us that really understand what we are changing on the graphics settings, and that understand what is under the hood and what it is capable of, it is just a very minority.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Carfax and Serotonin like this.
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Great post. Best one in this thread, I feel. Your points are quite valid. That's why I have said, to each his/her own. I'm not trolling, I'm saying different strokes for different folks.

Everything you listed makes sense. And there is no bias. That's all I wish out of this section. I hate seeing so many people brainwashed into this notion that PC gaming is the end all, be all. Having a huge steam list can deter the best of us from leaving the platform. All that money. I can't blame you. I focused on graphics because the thread was more focused on that, but with that being said, you've helped me understand why some would be ...indignant toward leaving PC gaming.

There are more than graphics, I just always hung my hat on bragging that my PC had the best of the best. And that's not the case anymore. I guess I'm realizing the other stuff wasn't a big interest for me as much as the bleeding edge graphics were.

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I haven't played this game. I thought it still ran on a modified 2007 engine?

19. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @SerotoNiN The fact that the graphics nowadays are enough, it's the reason why I still have my HD 7850, I have money that can upgrade my Phenom II X4 and my HD 7850, probably AC Origins would be the best reason to upgrade, since I can't play it due to the lack of support of SSE 4.1 (Fully understandable), I will upgrade probably in 2019 when the 7nm CPUs comes.

The only reason why I could really go to the consoles, would be the comodity of it (but since I have no problems dealing with PC and it's related problems, it's not really a big thing), and some of the exclusives.

But like I said, my brother (which don't live with me) owns a PS4, and since he has my Steam Family Share now, I also have access to it's PS4 sometimes in the summer or when he is more occupied and he knows he can't play for weeks, so he just lends me his PS4 and I dwelve into the sony exclusive games
    Thankfully for me, most games from Sony's list aren't really a big loss, aside from the Naughty dog titles and probably now, Horizon, but aside from this, Gran Turismo is something that I think Project Cars 2 is better this time, Infamous is meh, same with Killzone (For me), Bloodborne is a loss for me, as well as the Last Guardian is.
    But aside from that, it's just those games that I'm missing, and I will play them sooner or later thanks to him.

Microsoft exclusives are now on PC too, so like Phil Spencer said:
    "If you have a PC capable of High-Profile Games, you don't need to buy a Xbox now"
    (Something like that).

--------------------------------
    As for COD WWII, I think that dispite the engine is quite old, and could have been more optimized, the graphics and textures are quite good, the atmosphere it is great on this one and there is tesslation all over the terrain when you prone, impressive for such old engine that seems keep receiving technological small upgrades every year.
    Frostbite has it's beautiful and optimization, tried SW BF2 on my system and I was able to squeeze almost 60FPS on high settings 1080P on those forest, stunning optimization and beautiful foliage and textures.
    I think it's more due to the new tecnological advancements of capturing textures and stuff like that and smart decisions regarding the visuals.

Cheers (another damn long post, sorry)

Serotonin likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I own a PS4.
    I also owned a 360 and a PS3. And I've got a few titles for each, but titles that are exclusive to those systems.
    I also got my PS3 for 50 bucks, and my PS4 for 50 bucks, hell... I only own Uncharted 4 for my PS4. Nothing else on the system interests me.

It's the same reason I don't own a gamepad for my PC. Those controllers are uncomfortable.
    I play games on PC, not because I feel it's the "BEST PLATFORM EVAR!" or any of that garbage. But, because it's what I'm most comfortable with. Control wise, setup, use... user-ability... all that. I personally feel the PC is the best platform FOR ME.
    Yes there are PS4 games that are amazing, both in terms of visuals and gameplay.
    There are Xbone titles that are amazing. But, given the choice I will always play games on my PC simply because it's the one I can sit back and play games on and feel relaxed.

And, is PC gaming dying? No. And, personally it's a bit ignorant to say it is. It's not dying these days anymore then it was ten years ago.
    Just because most titles are multiplatform does not make them lesser titles on PC. All systems have their benefits, their exclusives... their exclusive uses. It just comes down to each person and what they prefer.