Midrange and high-end graphics card will get more expensive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Graphics card prices are never returning to normal unless AMD start actually supplying some, and Ethereum crashes. Neither of those are happening in the predictable future.

The situation for Canada is one of the worst, we have few options, and one of them recently went bankrupt taking its sister company down with it. That leaves Amazon who only has stock of nVidia cards, no Vegas, and NewEgg who again don't have Vega. Both of their prices on 1070/1080 are just gradually going up. Both of which I want to point out charge severely more on their Candian sites. Example: $99 cooler with no taxes and free shipping? That'll be $141 + tax + shipping for you dirty Canadians (both Amazon and NewEgg).

Remember when I said we're never getting the full-blown high end nVidia chips ever again for "normal" prices after the first Titan was released?

Honestly it feels as if they don't give a single frack about the gaming demographic anymore and are just pumping out anything they can at any price hoping miners buy it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    chispy, AsiJu and Solfaur like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hey buddy, let me give you an invitation to a wonderful country of Latvia which imports EVERYTHING. Card that costs 600$ in US? That will be 950 Euro please in this Hole. Add on top of it wages that are 10 times lower and you get a "great" value.

And with your Wages, let me tell you, you have it Easy.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Honestly with supply on demand as it is it makes sense why gpus are so expensive. It sucks but from a business sense it's smart.

As for this increase this makes perfect sense if anything it might be kinda small. With inflation going up around 1-5% depending where you are in the world this looks like it's just increasing with that

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It would help, for a while, if the memory manufacturing cartel was broken. But who knows how that could happen. I don't have much faith in the South Korean or the current US government doing anything about cartels.

schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Actually Ethereum mining is coming to end for GPU's, expected to happen sometime early 2018 once Casper upgrade to protocol is released. It's currently in testing an is going well, the switch from PoW (proof of work) to PoS (proof of stake) will eliminate all GPU mining for Ethereum.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wasn't Monero the current high-yield crypto currency though? Vega performing amazingly well with it although their current driver isn't quite as optimized with it's auto profile so people are using the blockchain driver to get the most out of the cards mining speed.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And how long do you need to run to make 1 enherium, e.g. current gpus or even my 980ti?

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Believe your card can do around 24MH/s so will be making about 0.08 ETH per month.

My 1070 can do 33MH/s @ 110 watts makes 0.12 ETH a month roughly at current levels of difficulty.

With NV cards their more optimised for Zcash, with both 980 ti and 1070 doing similar hash rates.

airbud7 and -Tj- like this.
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah so little, meh pointless.

It better die soon and let gpu prices go back to normal.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah was far more profitable to mine around may/june of last year, then whole scene kind exploded in popularity making difficulty go sky high. Got total of 250MH/s myself with 4 RX570's churning out 29.5MH/s each. Three 290x churn out 96MH/s.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. thesaiyan

thesaiyan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If mining were still a thing then you wouldn't have any stock in any store as it happened in Q2-Q3 2017. Hardcore miners have always been there and always will, they didn't start with AMDs 500 series or NVIDIA 10 series, yet youtubers and pretty much everyone is still saying that a higher price and scarce stock is due to mining?. You need to know that mining is not exclusive to AMD (vega or polaris). There are very profitable algorithms that run waaay better on GTX 1070s and 1080 than on AMDs. There is actually a huge lot of people who mine with these cards and guess what, I can currently find them in stock in newegg.ca with no problem. Actually 1070s and 1080s are ideal cause they are cheaper than vega, consume less power, run cooler and are still very profitable with many more algorithms while AMDs are good only with ethereum, yet I dont see 1080s in Canada sold out.

High prices? The situation in Canada is definitely not one of the worst, but we canadians like to whine and think that everything over here is shitty without knowing how it is in other parts of the world. As the person from latvia said, (and myself living in canada but coming from a third world country) we canadians have it easy. I just went to newegg.com and the prices in .ca are just adjusted for the currency change. Most of the countries have to pay import fees + revenues (up to 30-40% extra) for the importer + international shipping. We pay taxes because of the economic system we have (and we pay taxes for everything!) and we pay local shipping only so I consider myself lucky to buy on the canadian market. We are a way smaller market than USA so retailers can not afford free shipping for everything, yet sometimes newegg ships for free.

I'm not saying everything is perfect here, not at all, but definitely not worth complaining.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. omni_gamer

omni_gamer Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Strix
    I know this is going to sound like Blasphemy around these parts, but this is exactly why my friends and I (which are (and always have been) huge PC gamers) have picked up PS4 Pros. The current state of the hardware market is ******. Seriously who wants to drop $2,000 a year in upgrades to play a PC game that requires about 9 patches before it works properly anyway. So now for me FPS and competitive multiplayer games will always be played on the PC (most of these games can be run on a Potato anyway). Everything else - Console.

14. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Nobody, cause it's completely unnecessary. Stay on PS4, lol.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Brofist from Romania, I know the feeling. Having at 1080Ti here feels like having a Titan V in the US... :oops:

Despite this, I think my 1080Ti which I bought at launch was actually a decent deal. Immediately afterwards the prices went up (and still are) even further and thanks to the meh Vega performance I'm pretty sure Volta will be even more overpriced and overmilked before a "1180Ti" eventually comes out. What pissed me off though is that if I would have hold on on selling my 1070 I would have gotten a lot more for it this fall when the shortages were insane.

I agree though, GPUs won't get any cheaper, might as well get used to it or hold on what we have for as long as possible.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Finally some good news.

17. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    I started saving for a new PC, it would take 8 months, now it takes around a year, with more price increases I'll work to death before I can buy my rig

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'll believe it when I see it - if I recall, it was supposed to switch to PoS last year but it never happened. Also, when ETH mining comes to an end the miners will move on to other minable coins, so GPU shortages may still be a thing.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't know squat about that, please explain how that will stop people from using standard GPUs to mine?
    I'm sure the majority of the planet have it far worse than Canada. It's all relative. The difference is I live an hour's drive away from the US in a first world country that has no reason not to be much like the US in almost every way if properly governed. Importing things here doesn't actually cost squat or require much of anything to accomplish, it's just all fees the government charges to prevent said importing otherwise no one would buy anything here. And with our wages? The wages just went up this month, and I only know of it for Ontario. Some places had (have?) an $8 minimum wage in areas which that can't even buy a sandwich. It doesn't matter how big the wages sound like to other countries when it's not enough for their specific areas to have a roof, heating, and food beyond cup noodles and dirty tap water.

I know everyone thinks Canada is all roses and rainbows, but it's not as great as the government likes the world to think. Like the myth that we have some super health insurance. Not even getting an eye exam is free unless you're too young to get one, or if you're already dead. Anyone who actually needs it has to pay. I have private health insurance on top of the "free" insurance and I still don't have crap covered.

Let me put it this way, it's often much cheaper to take a drive to the US, buy the stuff there, drive back, and pay the border fees. That includes time spent, having to eat out which is half the price or less than it is here, spending money on gas which ends up not being much because you can fill up on the US side which is practically free. And when I mention these things, I mean for the identical stuff, same items purchased as the point of the trip, same tier gas, exact same restaurant food except the portions there are often much bigger.

And I'll complain about weather while I'm at it, it's been averaging worse than -20C all week (-23C right now). I'm sure you're cold too, but that doesn't make me any less cold. Sad, bigly. Someone send me something warm, a building sized stack of $100 US bills will do.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Graphics Cards are already 100 dollars more expensive.