Mafia II Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    during the gameplay at 1280x1024 with everything highest possible (included AF/AA) and without physx, 30-35fps minimum. With cpu physx it goes to hell, like 15fps inside the destilery

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wtf, is that it, flappy coats!!!, is my opinion on the PhysX, as tested the benchmark with PhysX off, then medium, then high, and the only difference i can see is, when you have the PhysX on medium or high, they have flappy coats, and no way should your frame-rate cripple for that, what a steaming pile, another overhyper, i immediately thought, its just GTA 4, and all they've done is change the cars etc.... to olden day times with downloadable addons, and made it run better :D

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    They've also added the fact that cops have to see you to accuse you of the crime, they also allow you to bribe the cops, they also plan to take all of this and make it follow a storyline that will change it to other years. The combat is better than GTA 4, as well as the graphics.

I'm recording parts of the game and comparing them to tell the difference physx wise. If you don't like the physx.... you can just turn it off. It takes about a minute at the most. I do agree that it takes up way too much resources because nVidia made it as such, unless you have one of their cards.

5. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Anyone else getting really dark brightness on your desktop after exiting the game?

6. adonay

adonay Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    The game suck resources with that physx on. 10fps here no change when choosing a graphic card to handle the physx in nvidia control panel. Over-hyped piece of crap if you ask me . Sli does not seem to work with my two GTX460 cards either .

EDIT!!!

Well after doing a driver sweep and installing the newest nvidia drivers the game runs fine everything on max about 35fps in benchmark. I still think the game does require a little to much though.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    ye,same for me,lets hope its "beta bug"

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The dark desktop issue is a known issue and need only a quick ctrl-alt-delete to rectify.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ah i was wondering how i got that. thought it was my nvidia card lol

10. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Game is down right hideous from the lack of AA and compensation by blur.

I don't see why you guys are thinking it's a GTA clone however, as it's entirely about story and tight linear mission's. The driving sections between aren't what the game is about, and it's not meant to be the focus of entertainment. Of course most fans of the first already knew people were just going to play it like GTA and therefore miss the entire point. Oh well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

11. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Same trouble with the desktop after exiting the game. Just run some app that reinitializes the fullscreen mode (change refresh rate\resolution, ctrl+alt+del, etc) and you'll be fine.

What's for the game itself... Love the demo! It looks way better and runs twice as fast as GTA 4 for me.

Unfortunately, many things were literally copied (if not stolen that is, I wonder) from GTA 4. Such as:

animations: surprisingly similar reaction of citizens being hit by a car (although this game uses PhysX instead of Euphoria); similar animation of your character being arrested by cops;

objects: exactly the same shape, coloring and palette of parasols which are literally everywhere (in 40s Americans used exactly the same parasols as in 2008, right?); "hotdogs, hotdogs!!" (no comments here); gunshops and clothes shops; character's flat with radio\tv;

AI: overall very look-alike citizens and cops behavior;

HUD: same radar and lifebar

Although it's not that bad since all the aforementioned is heavy tweaked and ripe with additions and details, So the overall feeling is as good as (or even better than) GTA.

Graphics are great except that the textures are blurred by themselves + tons of DoF applied everywhere, in close and far distance. But somehow it feels much better than edgy and rough Liberty City. Lighting system is very cool, dynamic shadows\lens effects\godrays included; lighting is what really making teh picture juicy and detailed.

Sound is perfect! One of a few modern games that really sound great on 5.1. However, chars' voices in dialogues are a bit quiet.

Driving is ok, but somehow weird. One high-speed clash with whatever - and you're dead.

Shooting feels much better than it looks. It's fun! But there's also this weird health regeneration system with no medkits...

NVIDIA APEX: F*cking awesome. That's what really makes this game shine. Tons of debris, juicy explosions, covers slowly turning into coleslaw under fire... Even if you disliked teh Batman PhysX, this game will change your mind for sure.

Overall impression: very, very good PC game ripe with details which brings back an oldschool joy of having such a mighty hardware along with Z-5500 Digital)

12. sano614

sano614 Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek 5870
    Is there any way to turn off the mouse acceleration?

13. Trustpt

Trustpt Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS (G92) OC'ed
    Amen.

14. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    +1 for the clone thing, -1 for the hideous thing lol. Personally I think the game looks fantastic.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well they cut down texture size for demo its always so, it will be ok in final.

but it runs strange, @ medium physx i get lower fps than on high:stewpid:

medium physx (rest enabled/maxed including ao and aa, except medium shadows)
    [​IMG]

high physx (same settings)
    [​IMG]

physx off (same settings)
    [​IMG]

and i saw the difference on medium; less debris, glass shatters, less smoke,..

Overall i didnt like it, same pos as 1st one.

16. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Is it blurry as hell for you though? I am running it at 1600X1200 with AA on, and yet it looks more like 1280X960 scaled to 1600X1200 with no AA. They somehow managed to make it the blurriest and most jagged game I've seen in ages, and I don't even know how that's possible at the same time. :3eyes:

:edit: I guess I don't really care, I won't be buying the game. The health regen makes it too easy and I generally dislike games that rely so much on the generic cover system. Of course I expected nothing less, so I can't say I am too disappointed. I'm sure the story will be fantastic, but I need solid game play too.

17. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    All settings highest (including sound)... MSAA, physx high (vsync off).

Min FPS: 3.1
    Max FPS: 149.2
    Avg FPS: 35.2

Physx off

Min FPS: 3.9
    Max FPS: 200
    Avg FPS: 56.2

I think with physx on high its playable but still could be optimized more. I hardly think my 480 should have issues computing physx for the game and rendering considering the performance of other titles I get with arguably higher graphical fidelity (UT3, Physx levels).

Likely they will release a patch to improve performance of Mafia 2 yet...

I think the game looks great, graphics are quite good for a dx9 title. I think the engineers really spent their time trying to add lots of fun into the game with the physx and the real simulation of the cars (as opposed to the arcade option)... which to me I would rather have for how good the game looks.

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    If anyone cares, eventually i'll be putting up a video that compares no physx, medium and high one after the other. Just to give you an idea.

19. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    The Tommygun can take you out fast in about a second. Same with the shotgun. Although you regain health, this isn't like GTA where you get less damage.

It doesn't look blurry for me at all. I have 1920x1080 and TwLs drivers if that makes any difference. All options maxed, except physx medium.

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

The difference between PhysX high / PhysX OFF. Yea PhysX is SO optimized. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]