Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by VMax Tuner, Aug 10, 2010.

1. chirop

chirop Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 X
    I used the Cloth trick.

Move \Mafia II\edit\APEX\Cloth Rename the map or move it to another map , you can still pretty much run physx but without as much lag the cloth calculation causes.

2. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    yup i just finished singleplayer always around 50/60 fps with gtx280 and physxhigh.. dropped on about 30fps into the 1st chapter and "im not gonna spoil" in a restaurant i dropped about to 17 fps without cloth :D very intensive and huge Physx in there

3. toasty

toasty Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
    Hey,
    I'm having some trouble with Mafia II and Physx myself.
    I'm using Forceware 257.15 with the included 9.10.022 for no hassle's hybrid Physx, Mafia want's to update my Physx software to 9.10.513 which breaks GPU Physx for me.
    The benchmark runs like crap (around 15 fps with apex on high) and fluidmark shows CPU Physx only resulting in it also running like crap.
    Is there anyway I can play the game without it updating Physx? as if I revert back to 9.10.022 Fluidmark once again flies at 60fps.

Edit: Tried replacing PSS & PhysxLoader.dll with 022's but no joy, game still pops up warning no Physx SDK installed then just exits.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Weird, because a GT 250 should be enough for playing the game, and its not that you have some old hardware that just isnĀ“t supported. I dunno, maybe I find something about that.

5. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Hey Guys,
    I just played thru the Mafia 2 Story and it was not that I was getting big numbers FPS-wise but it ran fluid for most of the time. The only real thing that made me go nuts after 3 hours is the crashing of the apex...blah.dll mostly every 45 minutes. I checked the web for that and it seems to be a common bug so I hope they fix it soon. With that fixed and a decent set of drivers the game will be ready to be played thru again (still have to find some of the Playboys hidden there....;-) ).
    Is anyone of you expiriencing the same problem with that dll?! It never happened it the Demo, that`s why I was wondering!

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Well if i use 2xgtx 295's the game crashes occasionaly,but when i use 1x295 gtx im playing at 1920 everything on full and everything is fine,except for when im indoors having a major shootout,the warehouse was one chapter i think it was chapter 5 where it goes on fire,when i go up stairs chasing the fat guy,all the bullets chipping the walls(physx) slows my pc down to about 20fps unless i turn physx off or turn it on low....this is the first game i have come across where a dedicated physx card may actually help.

7. toasty

toasty Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
    Fixed my problem of no GPU Physx by installing the latest WHQL Nvidia driver followed by GenL's mod.
    The game flows well with everything On or High @ 1920x1080, running mainly at 60fps while driving and 40fps during intense gun battles, but it will sometimes dip down to late 20's early 30's for seemingly no reason.
    I can even stand in the same spot and watch as it steadily climbs back up to 60, really wierd.
    One thing I noticed was at 30fps it was only around 35% GPU usage, while when it's smooth it's in the 90's.

8. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    So you`re probably better off if you disable SLI and use one card as GPU and the other as a PPU. I still think its SLI related thou because I have a dedicated PhysX card and still gettin` the around the same FPS as you are having.

9. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Yeah same here, weird FPS drops for no reason and low GPU-usage levels I guess we just have to wait for a new set of drivers, since 2K already stabilized the low end performance of the game with patches (at least with the demo).
    But as said even with those drops the game runs fluid.

10. bakalu

bakalu Active Member

I accidentally discovered that Mafia II used all the resources of Quad Core CPU.

My system:
    CPU Core i5 750 @ 3.6GHz
    Mainboard ASUS Maximus III Extreme
    RAM 2x4GB DDR3
    ASUS GTX 460 TOP
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Driver NVIDIA 259.47beta 64bit
    PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware

I play game Mafia II (chapter 1), used fraps.

Settings in Mafia II
    [​IMG]

I begin benchmark here
    [​IMG]

And stop benchmark here
    [​IMG]

And Result with Core i5 @ 3.6GHz (Quad Core)
    [​IMG]

And Result with Core i5 @ 3.6GHz (Dual Core)
    [​IMG]

11. toasty

toasty Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
    Ok something is really not right with the game, It has gotten much worse after the snow has gone.
    FPS blackholes all over the place, especially outside clothes shops and restaraunts.
    I took a screeny lastnight showing 18.8fps with only 22% ATi usage and 0% PPU.
    Thought it might be choking on my CPU so I opened performance monitor and it showed max 85% usage on core 3, 0, 1 & 2 were all less than 60% so it's not that.
    Inside Vito's house I can look out the window and it's 60fps, if I step outside into the same scene it's around 20 :(

After reading this article it would seem all cloth is being calculated on the CPU even when particle physx is being done by the GPU.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  12. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Still weird though since you and I and many others are using a dedicated card for PhysX, so according to this article and Nvidia we should get a huge boost since we are using a dedicated card which as said by Nvidia is then calculating the Cloth as well. My logged GPU usage record of my PPU is 68% and one of my GPU had 71% max. usage so there is still some room left. The thing in Vito`s house is weird anyway since I have a slowdown for about a second because my PC is loading a lot of stuff as soon as I open the door in Vito`s house and then also my FPS drops a lot.

13. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    i have it slow downs too go play chapter 7 8 9 10... to the end and you have those slowdownsto 15-20 fps

14. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    I think in your case it might be hardware related because if you run PhysX and the graphics on a single 260 GTX it might just be to much for the card! You should consider a second card if you wanna use APEX on high, or switching from your 260 GTX to a card like the 470 GTX if you wanna use just one card.

15. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    NEVER MIND I HAVE FINISH this game (mafia2) and bbc2

16. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
  17. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
  18. stanley1

stanley1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 + GTX 260 PHYSX
    i get about 32fps with evereything on max, thats with a gtx 260 dedicated for physix. bit dissapointing really

19. EN[joi]DK

EN[joi]DK Active Member

GPU:
    msi 1060 6GB
    you must be disapointed considering the amount of $$$ used on gfx!!! I have 4870x2+8800gts512 and get about the same fps as you! thats all on max

20. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Yeah... I mean the most important thing is that the game runs fluid but that still doesn`t explain why they used the CPU for cloth. As said I hope they fix it and that Nvidia is bringing a set if new drivers with a proper SLI profile and some fixes.

Cheers!
    :cheers: