Lose connection? 6800

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nagasaki, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    My 6800 has an odd issue..

I started getting loads of lines and colours on the screen. I thought the card was dead but after fiddling about i found that if i lift the corner of the card up it works fine.. so i now have a brush handle holding that corner of the card so it works.

Thoughts comments??

(If anyone says "get a new card" they are getting a virtual slap! as getting a new one is not an option)

2. Fershlugg

Fershlugg Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 670
    sounds to me like the card isn't making a good connection in the socket. I'd leave the brush handle where it is until it dies...

If your info is correct, it's about time for a whole new rig anyways. (avoiding the slap)

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    make sure it has no wear in the golden fingers on the card and clean the socket on the mb.

4. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    I think this may be a windows/driver/directx issue..

Im not 100% but i think all this started when i downloaded the latest DX and installed it (AUG 09)

When in safe mode all is well.. I uninstalled all nv drivers etc and used driver sweeper. Then rebooted into windows and installed fresh drivers 182.50.

All seems ok at the moment but i bet if i open a 3D app like google earth or CS:S and give it a min or 2 it will just go all crazy on me, lines and green stuff all over the shop.

I dont want to have to reinstall windows if i can help it as this could still be a card issue.

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I have never ever heard of a software issue that can be fixed by physically pushing a component. Maybe the agp socket is coming loose.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nagasaki, did you read cowie's reply and cleaned the fingers and socket?
    Isopropyl alcohol and some good Q Tips where the cotton doesn't go off to easy, works for the fingers.
    For the socket a new and clean toothbrush will do the job.

7. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    It's possible since the 6800 is a heavy card (Leadtek especially) and since It's been there for a while, that it loosened the socket, especially if the card wasn't screwed to the case. It's possible that one of the agp slot's pins got unattached from the board and by propping it up, Nagasaki re-established the contact. Of course this is only a theory. It's entirely possible that the contacts are dirty and require cleaning.

8. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Well i think it was a driver issue... after cleaning it all out, (driver wise) and installing the 182.50 its been fine, no problems at all.. odd indeed

And i did clean it all out but at the time it made no difference

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey does your whole screen get a green tint to it along with horizontal lines?

If so then it's prob a bad VGA cable or Din connection.

10. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Nope, this is what i got:

[​IMG]

but as said its all ok.. for now

11. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    You do realise that drivers only become active when windows is loaded, don't you? Such lines before windows is loaded cannot be attributed to drivers since the drivers are simply not running yet, nor can you fix driver issues by physically propping up a card.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There is no way that could be driver related.

Looks like you have bad vram or else a bad AGP bus/slot. I'm guessing vram judging by the jumbled up characters on your screen.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  13. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Ok so why would cleaning out the drivers and installed fresh ones fix the problem?

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It didn't.

15. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Err yes it did...

After doing that the lines have gone and the display is working fine.

16. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Dude, with almost 900 posts on a hardware forum you should know that drivers become an issue only with Windows loaded. The reason why your problem went away was that you probably nudged the card in place and re-established contact at roughly the same time or before replacing the drivers. The screenshot you provided shows the system before Windows is booted, therefore NO NVidia drivers were present at the time to cause problems, trust me on this one.

The other possibility is that you know all this but you're trollin'.

You might want to check this out:
    http://www.skepdic.com/posthoc.html

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Total WIN.

Thanks - I was hoping somebody would post this because I couldn't really be bothered. You said exactly what I was thinking though.

Great to see we still have members here that have a clue . :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  18. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    I understand that drivers only effect things once windows is loaded and those drivers are actually loaded.. but i can tell you with 100% certainty that the card was not knocked or nudged etc as i was installing drivers.

Maybe there is somthing on the card thats being effected by the drivers and is casuing problems even when windows is not loaded?

Im just saying, its one BIG coincidence that the card started working when i removed all NV drivers and installed fresh ones

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a coincidence nothing more, unless you knocked your card without realizing...

Not only were your drivers not being used, but that particular type of corruption is hardware related - not software. Bad drivers don't make your screen look like that.

Checkerboard lines during post is fried vram, and jumbled characters during post can be from either vram or pci bus.

If you're sure you never touched your card, then your 6800 may be starting to die....or the motherboard. More likely ur card though.

Bluntly: Nearly every single person in this thread told you the same thing.
    If you don't want to take advice, then don't ask for it.

Comprende??

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  20. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    ooo someone got out the wrong side the bed this morning eh

chill...