Lexar introduces NM800 SSDs, feature read/write speeds of up to 7.4GB/s and a graphene heat spreader.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Graphene heatspreader.... how important!

3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    throwing it out there because why not, I'm running 1x pcie 4.0 nvme 1x pcie 3.0 nvme 6x sata ssds
    other than the use of copying large and only large files between the two nvmes everything else works better with regular sata ssds
    5-7gb/s where with what ? small files copy is still very slow my ssd often do better
    I managed to get 1Gb/s copying a 27gbs file from my 10gbit server to a nvme but that's the odd case, for everything else, gaming downloading etc...a regular ssd works better, not the same..better
    nvme drives are borderline a scam those speeds you will never see outside of maybe very specific professionnal use and that's all they talk about

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

not going to pick nits as we all have different crap of variable file sizes on our storage.

but there is a definite use case that justifies most usage and that's physical size.

i do regularly copy massive files (esp. back-ups - the cloud is useless in a service interruption) and a folder is often 15 Gb. and relevant to gaming i do not want to schedule my internet. the advent of on-pcb nvme means my back-up is on my mobo. and that's the fastest you will ever be able to transfer files - between on-board drives, which you just cannot do with a 2.5"/3.5" RAID array (where often the price of the array is greater. but i concede the array is larger volume sizes).

so that's i guess is picking nits after all:rolleyes:. but if you have the time and space to fit your gear, you are right for the daily life of the majority of people.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @kakiharaFRS i can not talk about slower than sata and what not , but moving from an intel 330 ancient ssd 120 gb to a 250gb evo literally noticed no difference nothing i could tell other than that my os drive have a lot more space . Either way it is benched over and over again that any ssd will do just fine for daily tasks . Putting timers up to be able to measure 0 to 2 sec gain in the majority of the time does not even matter . Waiting to see what the direct storage will do until there is an actual reason for me to update i am in no rush to get nvme drives .... Hell by the time we finally see direct storage actually getting used i might be able to buy 2x the capacity for the same money compared to today :p

Ps. Obviously there are use cases that nvme ssds will benefit your workflow me and the majority of everyday users are not among em :p

6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Backing up my drive from one nvme to another is insanely fast.

That said, until we see DirectStorage in use with games and other programs, I'm holding off upgrading my drives any time soon.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

yes the backups from nvme to nvme is awesome.
    it's exactly why my SATA drives live on in a NAS, and why that NAS isn't good enough for my backups.

but the only reason i use (PCiE 3 & 4) nvme was building new systems and wanting them S.O.T.A. plus, being a nerd.
    other than physical size requirements the average person would be fine with a SATA ssd, imho