keyboard issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DgtlOutcst, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    I recently had a problem with my keyboard. it is connected to my PC with a ps/2 to usb adapter. (male usb, female ps/2)

Now, I booted up my PC yesterday and my keyboard was no longer functioning. My first guess was that it was the adapter. I read that these things have a tendency to not work, but I haven't had a problem with mine for about half a year. I bought a new adapter, which didn't work.

both of these adapters are passive ones, we all know them, the little purple/green adapters. An active one might be able to do the trick and it is as far as I'm aware the only option I have left. But I'm hoping someone knows how to fix this without buying another adapter.

I have tried the following:

- Trying different ports, even tried another keyboard with the same adapter, which didn't work. All other USB devices work fine in every port.

- Tried a new adapter, obviously

- Followed steps here

- Tried shutting down and unplugging the PC for a few minutes, apparently this helped for a lot of people. Not for me though.

Sadly, my motherboard doesn't have a ps/2 port. I hope someone could offer some perspective on this issue, I'm a bit frustrated trying to fix it for so long.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ...Get a usb keyboard?

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well if you tried a different adapter and a different USB port then its probably not the computers fault.

I'd look at getting a new keyboard. You can get a cheap one for only $20 or less.

4. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    I know I can get a new keyboard for a small amount of money, were it not that it's a more expensive mechanical keyboard which I love to use.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does it work at POST for the BIOS ?

Wondering if "Enable USB Legacy Devices" is enabled in the BIOS

Although if the mo/bo doesn't have a PS/2 port then that setting should be permanently enabled or you wouldn't get into the BIOS

6. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Oh, I guess I forgot to add hat in the OP. That option is on, and the keyboard does not work at post.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Defo sounds like a dead keyboard, never heard of that before, even seen 20+ year old keyboards still grafting ! With the big 5 pin din plug !

8. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Are you sure? the other keyboard I have with a ps/2 connection also did not work with the adapter, but it did when I used the ps/2 directly in a different PC.

I guess I'll have to hook up my keyboard to another PC to make sure it's dead or not. I was reluctant to do this because I just cleaned up all the wires.

Oh well..

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I didn't know you had tested the keyboards in another PC

Well if you have ruled out the adapter by using a different one and ruled out the keyboard by testing it in another PC there is only the PC left to blame right ?

You unplugged everything else USB from the board ?

10. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    nah, I JUST tested the keyboard on another PC. it doesn't work and I'm not even using an adapter.

I guess I didn't see this coming considering i only had this keyboard for half a year and have been very careful with it. never seen a keyboard just die abruptly.

I also figured that the adapter was to blame because I tested another keyboard with the same adapter and had the same result.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Time to upgrade to a real USB keyboard ;)

You can get them for less than £10 these days

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    razer black widow mechanical keyboard for ~$70