Just WOW STAR CITIZEN OFFERS THE LEGATUS PACK FOR $27,000 USD, REQUIRES HAVING SPENT $1,000+ JUST TO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by mtrai, May 28, 2018.

1. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    :eek: , it feels like a scam to me. The more i look into how this developer handles the money and always wants more and more money ( always asking for more money ) it starting to look really bad from my point of view. Will this game ever be finished or it will be a money sucking machine ? Time will tell :confused:

alanm, airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This game is a fkn joke.

4. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Was excited initially about this game, but as it drags on, ima glad i didnt put any $$ towards it...

chispy likes this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The game looks almost like a giant pyramid scheme.

The game was originally planned for a 2014 release, but significant delays in production and the expansion of gameplay features have led to postponement. Squadron 42, a single-player story driven game set in the same universe as Star Citizen, is also being developed. Neither game has a set release date...

Funding milestones:

- On November 17, 2012, two days before campaign closure, the game achieved the record for highest crowdfunded game project with over US$4.2 million.
    - In mid-2013, with US$15 million raised in less than a year, Star Citizen became the "most-funded crowdfunding project anywhere".
    - In 2014, Guinness World Records listed the sum of US$39,680,576 pledged on Star Citizen's website as the "largest single amount ever raised via crowdsourcing".
    - On May 19, 2017, crowdfunding surpassed $150 million.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

- As of today, the amount is $186,749,564.

I'm sure its all legit. No way that sort of money is not subject to oversight and auditing.

airbud7 and chispy like this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol you have to have spent a $1,000 just to view the content? Sorry what world do these guys live on, that's the sort of thing that the elites of there respective fields can ask, Ferrari saying you can only buy an FXX if you have been a loyal customer and bought cars direct from them in the past, the sort of stuff an established respected manufacturer with a long and illustrious history of bespoke manufacturing excellence can demand... not some two bit games company that hasn't released a single finished product in it's life.

I can only assume that the guys behind Star Citizen are using the money to fuel some fantastic drug habit because reading that article certainly makes me want to partake of whatever sh*it these guys are smoking.

7. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I remember when I got a free ship with a graphics card several generations ago. I have tried to retrieve this $60 value ship to no avail. They seem to have no way to retrieve anything on my email address and have sucked up my $60 value.

chispy likes this.
  8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The Darth Vader of premium content.

chispy likes this.
  9. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I´ll take three.

chispy likes this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's funny - I personally don't really care that they are charging people this much but I can't believe they don't consider the optics of this type of thing before they do it. They had to have known this would stir up a ton of backlash and I doubt the number of people spending $27000 on the package makes it worth it compared to those people just individually buying the ships.

That being said for some people $27,000 is like $60 to me.. if those people want to spend that much on a alpha go for it I guess.

I think it's going to come down to what they accomplish over the next year or so honestly. They managed to hit their 3.1 roadmap and it looks like they are going to hit 3.2 as well. They significantly ramped developers over the last 8-10 months and it's starting to show in the content patches. If they can remain on track for 3.4 I think people will start to see the content in the game flourish. They've spent the last several years rebuilding huge swaths of the engine/core systems in order to support what they are supposedly "planning" on doing. And now more recently they started integrating actual gameplay elements on those systems - so the world does feel like it's being more flushed out in the last two patches. You can kind of see how they can scale it now as opposed to before it felt like there is no way they were going to reach their lofty design goals.

If they pull another extended release like 3.0 though, I think even their core group will drop support. They have to ship SQ42 by the end of next year and it has to be a good game.

Last edited: May 28, 2018

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I feel like a retard for just registering an account there. Years ago.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The sad part is, they can close today and claim bankruptcy and there's not much anyone can do about it.

sammarbella likes this.
  13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    So true.

Gaming crowdfunding+bad management could lead to Ponzi results without any legal responsibility.

IMHO if this "game" is not released before 2020/1 at least in the usual half baked beta state we get games lately then the interest, funds and the whole project (scheme?) will simply evaporate.

If that occurs the "game" will earn another Guinness world record:

The most expensive public alpha game of all time.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You are literally reading nothing but assumption and speculation, and then regurgitating it.

Congratulations, you're a Derek Smart clone.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm entitled to my own personal opinions ;).

Congratulations, you're a Troll :p.

airbud7 likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow that's enough money to have any studio produce an AAA title. Yet there has not been such a title around, has there? I kind of have the feeling they want to do too much, and they are somewhat risking to go down the No Man's Sky route, with too much promised and too little done with bloody 186 million dollars. That's so much money and yet after 4 years there is no finished game... something has to not run like planned there to take so much time and money and yet not really getting it done.

IF this game ever launches, I'd be interested in buying it, but especially after so much money in there already, I am a little uneasy with thinking they are going for even more money now. All the trust has to have an end at some point...

chispy likes this.
  17. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Four years past the release date? Sorry, that's vaporware.
    All they managed to pull out are some alpha tech demos that aren't even connected.

No. Just no.

chispy likes this.
  18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'd not even bothered to register for two reasons:
    1. MMO's and I don't get along.:(
    2. A 'crowd funded game'? It sounded like an opportunity to waste time and money, while developers can milk the project for all its worth.....no thank you, I'd rather spend good money and time on something else.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ton of backlash you say?
    I was barely able to find the thread :D

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/the-legatus-pack/1199988

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    There should never be any content in any game that costs $27,000. Reason being that only few will be able to enjoy it, making the others miss out on the full game experience.