Just told my boss to shove it...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ManicOne, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Well that was cathartic. Started off this job as a full time salaried lab analyst, but quit after a year due to illness. They called me back 5 months later to get me to work, full time but casually employed at first. 3 new techs started, 2 of whom were friends with management, and lo and behold, they both got promoted to salary over me, the excuse being that I took some time off when my marriage collapsed. I trained these fukkas, and was far and away the best analyst they had.

What makes it worse is that I didn't find out from management, but from one of my coworkers, after it had already been put in place. I went down to my boss, and told her that I found it offensive that their most experienced and best tech had been looked over due to something that happened 9 months ago. After being fed more corporate bullcrap, I basically told them to get fukked, and quit on the spot.

So yeah, I feel kinda good, but fukk now I have no job...

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well ya know

its always the good people who get sh1t on.

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Doesn't anyone else listen to the proverbs of Homer Simpson?

"If you don't like your job, you don't quit. You go in there everyday and do a really half-assed job."

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    sorry to hear dude, hopefully ya find something else soon

5. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    ManicOne your my hero! Life is too short, I would have done the same thing.

6. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    And now begins the fun job of looking for work. Luckily I've got references from all the managers except mine. Sad really coz I liked the fellas I worked with. Fukk I hate management.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    agree with this. i would have just tried to get away with absolute minimal possible. play stupid..etc. lesser worker for lesser pay. If the higher paid workers needed your help, i'd tell them thats why they make the big bucks, go figure it out.

8. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Firefly you're probably right, except part of the change involved moving me to part time hours. Not really enough to live on, decently anyway.

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    My dad told me a while back before I started my first job at 14, "If they pay you 7, then give them 8. If they pay you 8, ... etc) It's worked out pretty well. I did however hold that ethic for 5 years in the Army...somewhat but not all the way. Right now, it still pays off with my current employer.

But OP, sorry you got the "hose and screw", dude. Whatever happens, I hope you are led in the right and a better path so that your outcome will be awesome.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    believe it or not, i wouldn't've quit, sure you should've been promoted but a job is a job.

you should've been a little more patient, i'm sure you would've been promoted eventually, better late than never, now you have no job and what felt good at first might be reason for regret later.

11. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    You should've waited until you found another job before telling them you quit IMO.

12. Usl

Usl Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5870
    It´s complicated ....
    Better unemployed than go crazy, there is always another job, and another go! Most of all, don't help/work for people that don't deserve your work force or wisdom.
    I did that, got out, lived a nasty life for some very long time.
    But now i' m on it again and they are GAME OVER.

So grab the next opportunity! Enjoy a short "Holiday"
    Go get them all ;-)

Be positive!

13. Usl

Usl Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5870
    That's true to!

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    yeah crap happens, its the ones who kiss the bosses ass are the ones who go forward. something similar happened to me and i left as well. At least i walked out before i became a carpet for everyone else to walk on.

Dont worry about finding a job, you will get one eventually. If they cant see the awesomeness of an employee, they dont deserve said employee.

Rock on.

PS: I hope you stole a whole load of stationary!

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'm doing this right now... once I find a new one I'll do the same as what he did maybe in a slight different manner.

The good thing is at least in the US a past employer isn't allowed to give a bad reference. Most companies even have rules about their employee's giving any reference at all.

16. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I wouldnt really ever just rage quit, I would be calm enough to think it over. Hell I almost got fired 2x for working too much...

But I am prepared to leave anytime because I always have backup emergency cash to last over 2 months of bills/food/gas just in case. You shouldnt try to go more than a month without a job. At least take a week off for yourself to recuperate before looking around again.

17. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Sometimes finding the right job with the right employer is the key as well. I had my choice of several in this town a while back. But having had known my employer as a customer from a former job, I knew they were alright. So when it came time to re-gain employment, things worked out. With my adage and work ethic, it works out for them as well as for myself. OP, if you can, a little research into perspective employers will eliminate problems in the future. Talk to their customers and current employees and get familiar with them before you turn in a resume/application. This little bit of footwork will result in a win for them and a win for you and the right match-up will ensure a positive experience for you both. After all, your boss can't take care of you unless you can take care of them as well. This isn't a brown nose approach. But it's more of a positive outlook based upon the relationship between employer-employee. I hope things work out well for and with you in the future though.

18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    +1 Homer knows his $hit

Kissing ass only gets you so far. Being competent will get you farther trust me. Kissing ass only gets you into assistant territory.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  19. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    no way dude, well, i guess it would depend on th esituation, but where i worked, kissing ass took you VERY far, again, depends on whose ass your kissing

20. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Yeah, but...

Whatever happens, happens...