Jon Peddie Research Predicts that 20 million PC gamer will move towards console gaming by 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, im going to console, once Win 7s support is up, as no way am i having broken Win 10 on my rig, so i'll not be re-installing it every 5 minutes it updates, and hoses my rig. :D

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you're going to state something like this you may want to state the actual differences.

For instance, fortnite on iphone is set to 1460 x 675, a resolution almost no one would ever touch on PC, that's around 720p resolution

Plus, fortnite on iphone has worse visual settings then even the lowest settings on PC.

0blivious and airbud7 like this.
  3. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I see, sorry for the confusion.

Still, I think PC's and consoles were never that apart from each other. Aside from the OS layer, they pretty much had similar functionality in terms of entertainment/games. Remember how PS1/Dreamcast played CD's and PS2 played DVD's? That's kinda of what's happening today, only this time the scale is a bit bigger. While there's value in consoles that do many other things besides gaming, I feel like most of what they do in excess can also be done easily with other cheaper devices. Hell, I can mirror my phone screen to my TV or even use various smart functions of it, so why would I buy an console for anything other than gaming?

You could say that the ecosystem of consoles adds value and I agree, but it's not like this doesn't exists on PC also. For as much as Steam sucks, it's also proof that such things can be had on PC when you throw money at it (Epic also, probably).

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I totally agree that the lines are blurring, but if anything, I'd say that consoles and their users are being morphed into PC's instead of the other way around. Consoles are kinda like iPhones of the gaming market - closed ecosystem, little room for customization, but guaranteed to work 99% without hassle and low entry barrier. On the other hand these are things that most PC users just hate, so I doubt that such massive move from PC to consoles would happen in such short time (ever?).

I'd bet far more money into console users getting more comfortable with tweaking the games and/or getting a better understanding of what make games look good, to eventually taking the plunge and go for their own PC.

I agree that user preference is what matters, but still think that for some kinds of games (FPS, RTS) mouse and keyboard are objectively superior in terms of both speed and precision. I guess there's no scientific study on the subject, so we'll agree to disagree here :)

GamerNerves and vbetts like this.
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Consoles are each generation becoming more and more like full-fledged desktop x86 PCs, except in some crucial areas, like hardware upgradability and specifications compatibility. They are mirroring cheap PC desktops/laptops today that have either little or no expansion/upgrade capabilities. People who know what they are about with their PCs are never going to be interested in the by-comparison extremely limited hardware upgrades possible in all consoles--even the x86 "PC" consoles of today. Software markets for consoles are far less interesting and generally far more expensive than the software markets available for the PC. And the "streaming services"? Not going to happen--the bandwidth isn't there and the console companies don't own the pipes. OTOH, the bandwidth required for PC/Server-clients is a *fraction*--and a tiny fraction at that--of the bandwidth gaming streaming would require! Even so, we still have the dreaded *lag*! It will be much, much worse for full server-based game streaming to what are essentially dumb terminals on the client side! Peddie seems to have gotten his signals crossed in a major way. But, really, who cares? Fortune telling is cheap and everyone does it. Who remembers who was wrong, eh? Or, who was right? I'll say that Peddie is about half-right, maybe, but that's all I'm willing to give them...;)

5. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    At what point does someone that notices he can avoid upgrading his processor every year, gets to stream games on his tv without additional hardware, and notices that console exclusives are less of a thing than ever before, gets to decide that he needs console gaming more than ever?.

6. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    To my understand a gamer likes to play games (not a platform), and plays them wherever they are (if he/she has budget/time). Consoles are great on many levels.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I find the gaming experiences on PC for the exact same games to just be better. I don't mean the "console ports" we suffer through, the games that were properly released for multiple platforms.

On PC, you get higher frame rates, better graphics, more tweaking to optimize, sometimes mods and extra user content and many other tweaks you simply can't do with console games. The mouse and keyboard is vastly superior to using a controller when playing a first person or 3rd person perspective game (FPS/RPG/etc) and most other titles (4X, strategy, etc.).

I do like controllers for sports, racing and platform games, they are better for those genres than M/K. But I get that option on PC. I like options.

I don't think PC gaming is dying. Seems to be doing just fine. This claim has been made numerous ties for decades. Never been true and I doubt this prediction now. There's plenty of gaming space for all these platforms to coexist.

GamerNerves likes this.
  8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I disagree regarding the 'millions' that will supposedly move to consoles.

But I can definitely agree with GPU prices. It's complete insanity. If I hadn't bought my GTX 1080 used on eBay I would actually never be able to afford a brand new one unless I was allowed to pay for it in something like 3 or 4 payments per week, maybe more. I have other priorities in life than to shell out $800 on a single hardware item (side note: I live in Canada... shouldn't have to explain any more beyond that, also maybe that here in my province we pay 15% taxes on everything).

9. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    These last few years it seems more like the opposite !

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Meh, I game on console and pc.

Really can’t see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Serotonin likes this.

11. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Honestly I wouldn't mind owning a console again, I skipped this PS4/XBOne generation because I wasn't playing games as much, and instead shifted towards watching them on Twitch.TV. ...If it wasn't for the pay to play online model, I'd totally get a next generation console, I just don't want to pay to play multiplayer anymore.

12. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    If it entices me enough. Then I'll move to console. The only thing that really matters is the games themselves so whichever platform provides what I want for a price I'm willing to pay then that's all there is to it.

I don't get why some people nut hug so hard on platforms and brands.

fredgml7 likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Well, one thing is sure, if the best games end up console exclusives, i'll get one. Already mad enough to have missed Uncharted 4 and the latest Spider man game.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I only just this year got a 360 and the gears of wars games because I always wanted to play them, it's never too late...

XenthorX likes this.
  15. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    HAHAHAHAHA NOT ME FOR SURE!!!

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    GPUs have been that costly for a long time. The high end market isn't where the majority of the sales are anyway. It's the mid-tier mainstream GPUs.

I mean really these days, unless you are snob and have to have 100+FPS at super high resolutions , or a snob like me and want all the peformance headroom for better anti-aliasing. You can get away with cheaper GPUs at lower resolutions for a long time. (Depending on how well the game is optimized that is).

I prefer to have consoles and PC. I don't see why they can't continue coexisting. If consoles offered the flexibility and options in how I choose how to play a given game. I wouldn't mind primarily moving back to consoles either. But they've yet to show they can meet the bare minimum for me.

airbud7 and Redemption80 like this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Since about 2006 I have always ended up buying gpu's under the 300 dollar price bracket but since mining exploded that price bracket has basically been moved upward of 300 dollars.... it's honestly like each performance bracket of gpu has been raised by the mining hype then when mining crashed they didn't want to bring the prices back down and what feels like a few years now they have just been holding the prices as high as possible for as long as possible.

0blivious likes this.
  18. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i don't see how this can happen to be honest, pc gaming has been great for those last year, best games are played on pc, im mean CS source is still going strong after all these years, look at pubg, went really strong on pc and still going strong after 2years, Fortnite ( altho its multiplatform now ), apex, Dota 2, LOL, overwatch, the best games are played on pc, the games that are played by a lot of people for a long time are played on pc. Consoles are fine, but if you re a real gamer you game on pc, thats not going to disapear, espcially with esports growing that much and that fast, pc gaming is only getting bigger

19. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    .I agree as the pc market is very much lacking players in all sorts of games, and the new consoles actually look pretty good. I miss sitting on the lounge and playing instead of trying to be the best gamer in the world all the time.

Koniakki likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Marketing spin at its finest, im just going to leave this here.