Iiyama Releases a 5k monitor for just eight hundred bucks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The first release didn't even have a casing on it! Good to see it running!

3. red909

red909 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 970 4 gb
    60hz how useless now adays :rolleyes:

4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    At 5k...Are you really going to get any higher than that FPS wise?

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Gaming?

Just move the mouse in windows and scroll up and down with 60hz is pain for the eyes.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This is not a gaming monitor ...

Not every monitor is a gaming monitor ...

Embra, Denial and TheDeeGee like this.
  7. wantobe

wantobe Guest

GPU:
    Very attractive price, from my position it's lack of GPU power is what stopping me to going to 4K let alone 5K... for reasonable amount of money I meant :)

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not True at all. You do not need a high refresh rate monitor for Video editing or other non gaming things you want to do with a 5K monitor.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This would be amazing for music production. More plugins on-screen at-once etc, would be very helpful without needing to mess around with a second screen.

There's definitely a market for such a product. Just maybe not quite for gaming yet.

Fender178 likes this.
  10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Doesn't bother my eyes any.

juvat, Fender178, user1 and 1 other person like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eww IPS and its shitty blacks and bad response times, should be good from non game realted stuff providing you dont need good blacks

Witcher29 likes this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Unless you game at a professional level making a living out of it, response time is a non issue.

But as mentioned earlier this isn't a gaming monitor.

As for Blacks, my EIZO CZ240 has pretty good blacks for an IPS.

And i would only get an IPS monitor if it has an A-TW Polarizer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  13. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Lol @ ips panel, greasy picture, bad blacks, ultimate backlight bleed, i prefer va panel, ips needs to improve else i never buy it.

VA is best of both worlds, tn and ips mixed.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that highly debatable its also up to person it self what is good for you or others might not be for another. I cant stand motion blur that attachs to Response time and few other things effect it (CRT are king in this field still), it the single reason why i cant stand lcd/led picture of things in motion.

IPS panels have also had low contrast level compare to TN and VA. just look at any review for monitor and tv and they will tell you IPS cant get as dark as TN or VA.

My next monitor will be VA when this breaks down less OLED actual becomes a thing. ALL IPS panels have shitty blacks imo

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  15. djm67

djm67 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    About AU$1230

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I tried a VA Panel once... from EIZO even (FG2414 i believe), the display was TERRIBLE. Not uniform, super bad bleeding and countless of dead pixels.

Then went with the CX240 because of image quality and never looked back. Sure it's not a gaming monitor but in terms quality it matched my old S-PVA Panel it replaced. It also has the A-TW Polarizer so there is no IPS Glow.

17. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    I have/had 3 VA's, G2750HM, Q3279VWF and 328E8QJAB5. IPS i have a MG279Q, there is a difference between blacks, but not that big. All of them have trailing with dark colors, something that IPS panels did not have. Deep blacks are also a disadvantage in online FPS.
    60/75Hz are fine, sure 120/144 are better but it is not a game changer unless you play for money and are very good at it.
    Input lag is.
    But it all comes down to how they are implemented. There are TN panels with good colors, very slow VA or MVA panels, or IPS with poor colors.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    My only experience with va was with amva panel on benq monitor on bright colors against dark colors .... the trailing was horendus colors where amasing though

19. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yes.. maybe there is no Best panel (for everything/everyone), even OLED.
    Matrix type (itself) is important! But also important is..: picture procesor, backlight technology, firmware, and hundreds other components.
    But there are better panels, than the other (IMO). If we look clear..
    It's the one, who offer more good features, and less defects, with possible lowest price - connecting them into "packet" makes DEAL for Me.

For Me most important is..:
    1. Picture Quality (contrast, colors reproduction, deep black, "angles", high peak brightness, aceptable uniformity, no DSE, etc..)
    2. Motion Reproduction (refresharate, input lag, polarizer-LCD responsivnes, etc..)
    3. Durability, Price, Features (supported standarts - like HDR, components quality, etc..)

It was said many times. But I like to remind.
    The OLED's gives Us possible best IQ. But budget We need to spend for a good 4K OLED (compared to a good VA/IPS panel) is high.
    Not only that.. OLED is more risky to use with PC (burns and other subtle effects). Also 100% peak white ~170 cd/m2 not surprising Me. Actually it's confusing Me.

Now why (I preffer) VA over the IPS or TN..? VA offer more natural colors, better contrast ratio, better calibration adjustment, and deeper black.
    If Your screen have dark tones problem, still You can fix it.
    With IPS You can't really fix black-crash. You need to decrease the whole backlight.
    It's also mean, that there is no HDR potential.
    IPS angles are better ofc, but VA is not bad at this - there is more reasons, to watch our screen directly (instead of from angle).

TN - I don't like them. I hate them. What I have from fast responsivness, when overal picture look like crap.
    Angles are too bad, colors and contrast ratio, can't be good with such "angles". Black level, are mess too. And DSE occur too often there.
    If I like (just) fastest responsivness, with good angles.. I can plug-in My old CRT. With 120Hz (near zero input lag) - but cmon.

Now 4/5K 100+ Hz users.. They always need a far better CPU + GPU/s.. than a 60 Hz users.
    It's not good to pay for a 4K screen.. Then play at HIGH or MEDIUM settings.
    If someone Buy 144Hz, just for a desktop operations (idk if I should laught, or what..).
    So for a desktop User (like Me) Who work, play, watch/make YT videos (it's typical usage), a good VA is the best option. IPS is my second choice.. But the good thing is.. That price is resonable for both.

Sorry for a long post, regards..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018