I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Reminds me of the ferme launch..

2. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I am suprised people are even buying these cards. 7nm is around the corner and you are buying the worst performing gpu's money can buy lol I guess nvidia has their GPU whales

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You mean the best performing GPU money can buy. You just don't like the amount.

BangTail and tensai28 like this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    *worst price/performance ratio gpu money can buy :p

BangTail and Dynarush_333 like this.

5. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Haha that is what I mean. 20 fps more for a "next gen gpu" is not a good performing gpu by any means. Even if it was a 800 dollar gpu the 2080 ti would still be a crap. Instead of getting a next gen gpu you are getting a 1.2 gen gpu

Solfaur likes this.

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The issue is we don't know when 7nm cards are coming on the market. Vega is coming early next year, but that's not for the gaming public. AMD is still tight lipped if they are even making a gaming version. The last i heard about Navi is still late 2019 early 2020. Nvidia has said nothing at all that i have seen about 7nm cards.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    With CPU and GPU really close to each other or even overlapping, it's rather hard to draw any conclusions.
    IMO 2080-ti is a 4K card anyway :rolleyes:

Dynarush_333 likes this.
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    AMD (Liu) leaked recently that AMD will have a high performance gamer card on 7nm in 2019. I think they are being very tight lipped in order to better handle the release and mitigate NV's pre-emptive strikes.

Maddness likes this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I doubt AMD has anything to compete with the 2080 Ti.

I'll be happy if they do but my guess is that they'll have 1080 Ti performance at a much more reasonable price.

tensai28, AsiJu and Maddness like this.
  11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Who is Liu?

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Typo on my end. :)

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Haven't you heard? Lucy Liu is the new CEO of AMD :p

Maddness and yasamoka like this.
  15. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    Am Canadian.

And yea, I had $2,000~ budgeted. It's been a little over a month since I made this post........and I've clocked over 150 hours between Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, and Xenoblade 2. I guess I made the right choice with the Switch instead of 2080 Ti lol

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    For high performance cards like this, price/performance ratio is a flawed metric.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    This. It's like asking why if you have the money should buy Lamborghini Centenario over much cheaper common Gallardo. They are both exotic supercars. But if you want the top, you pay its premium.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I got the 1080Ti at launch and it was/is one of the best GPU investments I've ever made. Not only did it stand the test of time (1.5 years and still going) value wise, but also performance is still up there with the big boys. I doubt we'll be able to say the same of the 2080Ti in 2 years from now...

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Why not? Flagship cards like this usually last no problem. Hell even the Titan series lasted awhile and still could even today. 980 ti keeps up with the 1070, 780 ti keeps up with the 970, and the 1080 ti keeps up with the 2070 no problem. High end performance cards like this aren't made with value in mind, but high end performance. Now yes one could say buying high end cards like these are future proofing your rig, but honestly even a 970 could play 1080p and 1440p games no problem still. Not as much post processing, but still a card that's playable with decent settings and performance.

BangTail and tensai28 like this.
  20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Except the 2080Ti costs almost double what the 1080Ti was at launch and it no way, shape or form puts up the equivalent performance improvement, with its main selling point - ray tracing - still not being available in any title. I get what you are trying to say, price/performance doesn't matter much in high-end, but the 2080Ti is so ridiculously overpriced that it does, at least for me. And I've been buying high end cards each generation consistently since the 8800Ultra days, yet I simply can't bring myself to do so with Turing.

The1, Darren Hodgson and fantaskarsef like this.
  21. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ray Tracing certainly was not the main selling point for me and I think you'll find that is the case for a great many people.

I'm not even interested in RT tbh, it's not going to be viable this generation unless you want to play at 1080P.

It's not what he is trying to say, it's what he is saying - that metric (price/performance) is moot at this level, the fastest gear is going to cost you, this is nothing new.

I understand that the 2080 Ti is a 'bridge too far' for many people but many people would tell you that $799.00 was a ridiculous price for a video card but you still spent it on a 1080 Ti (me too btw).

It's all subjective at the end of the day, these cards will reliably give you a 4k/60FPS experience, and that is why they are in demand imho, nothing to do with RT (or very little).

tensai28 likes this.
  22. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @BangTail Let's face it: The current price model is solely based on what NVIDIA believes the market will bear, and not on any percentage above cost, due to the heavily inflated pricing that the GPU market has had over the last year. And NVIDIA wants the lion's share instead of the retailers getting it.

Based on the miner craze, it was demonstrated that customers were willing to pay $1K+ prices for high end, and now NV is being opportunistic at our expense. Too bad the mining bubble burst, and those customers willing to pay those prices no longer exist.

The sad part are the fanbois who will rationalize NV's money play and come up with excuses for their greed. Does anyone really think Turing cost SOOOO much in R&D to warrant this huge price jump? Not. At $800 a card, which you mentioned before, NV still made plenty of profit on that sale, based on their annual earning reports.

Heck, they did very well at $699 for top end.... This is price gouging, pure and simple. And they know that the retailers will still fluff up the pricing.

Solfaur likes this.
  23. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't know if you are referring to me when you use the word 'fanboi' but I am anything but.

I don't like paying $1200.00 USD but it's what they cost, you either pay the money for the card or you don't, it's not an emotional decision.

Emotion and price/performance factor way too much into the equation for some people.

You can get as upset as you like, it will change nothing (not you per se, just in general).

And again, whether it cost them that much in R&D or not is largely irrelevant, as you say, they are charging what the market will bear.

As an aside, I think 'price gouging' is a term that is being used out of context here.

Price gouging is usually associated with people hiking prices on necessities during a time of crisis.

You don't need to have a 2080 Ti, you won't starve or die without one :p