How to set up SSD + HDD in this config?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by 1stcowgirl, Jun 6, 2014.

1. 1stcowgirl

1stcowgirl Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti DCIIOC
    How to set up SSD + HDD in this config?

Hi evryone,
    i dont know where to ask this so if this is not the right place please forgive me.

im getting a new 240SSD (corsair force 3) (should be here in couple of days).
    curently im using WD 750 HDD. iv got it devided to 3 partitions.
    C:\ _ 120GB _ Only for the use of the OS
    D:\ _ 300GB _ for all my programs (security, media tolls and so), downloads, movies, some small media works.
    E:\ _ 280GB _ for games and Virtual Machines.

I want to use the ssd for my OS and games, iv got only 3 games i would like to install on the ssd, BF3 & BF4 & Titanfall. right now all games weighs 112GB.
    sorry, titan fall will be staying on the HDD since there isent any advantege on the ssd.

guys... im in the dark here.
    iv got HDD750gb + SSD240GB
    How should i Set it up?

do i install BF4 in C:\program files?
    should i creat 2 partitions on the SSD? (one for the OS and one for BF games)?

in the end i want to have 4 partitions (if it is possible).
    C - for OS
    D - for BF games
    E - for all my programs and work tools
    F - for my other games (and VM's)

thank you.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you will just add SSD as second disk and will not break it to several partitions it will sit with 'F' letter. And you can install games on it. VMs do love SSD too. Imo this is fastest and easiest way without need to clone partitions, reinstall OS.

Also you can remove some programs from E partition and shrink it, then clone E partition to SSD, then kill it on HDD, then expand D partition to that free space, then assign E letter to partiton on SSD. That way all installed programs (on E partition) should work as if nothing is happened.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. 1stcowgirl

1stcowgirl Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti DCIIOC
    Waw... thank you.
    i love your thinking.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The OS should be the no.1 thing on the SSD if you want the most benefit from its performance.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I did advise from simplicity point of view. But your statement is true mainly for OS boot. When OS finishes the boot process most of its components are loaded into RAM. And if superfetch is enabled then all user`s usual applications are pre-loaded into RAM too. And RAM is much faster then SSD.

Edit: Overall my point is - it all depends on PC usage pattern.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014