How to install older driver on windows 10 without windows automatically updating it to newer driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rapyer, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Many of you have issues with new drivers, be it stuttering, bad fps, and so forth.

Fortnite for example suffers from stuttering with newer drivers on many systems, yet when you try installing an older/working driver on win10, windows installs a driver asap, you could be in game when you see a driver installation being performed.

Here is how you disable windows updating drivers without your permission

download https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026726/windows-hide-windows-updates-or-driver-updates

run the utility, click hide updates, and remove the nvidia driver updates from the options. click APPLY

you are free to install older drivers than windows 10 is forcing on you.

185.69 is a wonderful driver that is stutter free for fortnite. you cannot use that driver unless you apply this fix.

in short, frack you windows and nvidia

p.s older drivers do explose you to spectre/meltdown exploits. use at own risk. or until microsoft and nvidia get their crap together.

2. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    That's a pretty old driver, no?

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Disable internet.

4. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Guessing he meant 385.69 which coincidentally I'm running as well since it's one of the most current problem-free drivers.

5. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I'm sure he meant 385.69, and yes it is a nice driver. I'll repost my info from the 398.36 driver thread here too, since it was meant for this topic. For folks who do not want to download extra software to do the job. I could be wrong but if I remember, that MS "driver hider" didn't work for me or at least would not let me hide them until after the fact.

Driver Store = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore:

Windows Update forced drivers download from Windows Update and stores it in Driver Store...lurking...like a pervert in the bushes...waiting to ram them in the second you try to install a driver of your choosing. I think MS has flagged them as 'security updates' so it ignores all the settings about not installing 'drivers' from Windows Updates. I avoid it by installing windows with network cable unplugged, and install a driver of my choosing (preferably newer than whatever WU is forcing so it never downloads), then disable Windows Update Service until I am ready to update and block driver installs by hardware ID.

To remove 388.13 (or others) from driver store (Windows will put it back, but not install it if blocked by hardware ID every time it checks for updates unless you have a newer driver installed than what they are forcing):

Windows 10 LTSB and others I assume (admin command prompt):
    Code:
    pnputil.exe /enum-drivers > c:\driveroutput.txt
    Read the file it creates (c:\driveroutput.txt) looking for drivers that are not in use. Note the name of the bad ones (oem9.inf is an example in the next command, change it accordingly) and remove them with:
    Code:
    pnputil.exe /delete-driver oem9.inf
    Windows 7: Not usually an issue on 7, but as above, slightly different commands
    Code:
    pnputil.exe -e > c:\driveroutput.txt
    pnputil.exe -d oem9.inf

Then to block install of new drivers to specific hardware: gpedit.msc: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions:
    Prevent installation of devices that match any of these devices IDs:
    enabled > show > *add the IDs*

Or for Home (no gpedit) versions or just a quicker way, create a registry (text file renamed to *.reg, double click to use) file with the following info in it (change the hardware IDs to whatever you are blocking, get them from Device Manager).

[​IMG]
    NOTE: the extra "\" in the reg file formatting.
    PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462&REV_A1

This example blocks driver installs for my GTX 1060 3GB (#3-6) and Realtek onboard sound (#1-2).
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
    "DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
    "DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
    "1"="HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A182&REV_1003"
    "2"="HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A182"
    "3"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462&REV_A1"
    "4"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462"
    "5"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&CC_030000"
    "6"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&CC_0300"

Then to toggle that off when you want to manually update your drivers:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    isn't it just an option in windows update to not install drivers? I havent had to block with gpedit in a long long time, lol

7. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Depends on the version of Windows. I have mine (LTSB 1607) set in gpedit.msc to notify before download and install of any updates, but it doesn't stop diddly. WU just downloads and rams in what it wants anyway. For the "Do Not Install Drivers With Updates" gpedit setting, there is this note:

Note: For devices running Windows 10, version 1607 or Windows Server 2016, this policy only takes effect if you enable telemetry (that is, if the "Allow Telemetry" policy is not 0). For devices running Windows 10, version 1703 (or later) or Windows Server, version 1709 (or later), telemetry does not have to be enabled for this policy to take effect.

So "we spy or you get drivers we want!"

Also, I am pretty sure they have certain drivers (388.13 currently) flagged as security updates so it will install them anyway ignoring any settings about drivers. As long as you have a driver newer than what they are forcing on Windows Update, it won't force the older one...I think.

In 1607, no option here...
    [​IMG]

I think most people that "don't have a problem" either had a newer driver in before WU started forcing 388.13, or they have/had it in their driver store and don't even know it, and have since installed a newer driver.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  8. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    majority of new drivers have stuttering in epic games engine for whatever reason.

fortnite and pubg

there is only a handful stable drivers that do not

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I have disabled it in Group Policy.