How has this pandemic affected you?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by W@w@Y, Jun 13, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Respect.

anticupidon likes this.
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Mind you seasonal influenza doesnt spread like this to every nation. Also we actually succeeded in lessening the impact of that too. The amount of dead doesnt make thing a pandemic.

For me I barely noticed whole thing. Just the weird extreme reactions against and for the virus. I distance myself anyway being higher risk group for influenza than corona.

Mostly didn't visit my parents so if I was asymptomatic carrier I won't infect them. Got a better paying job too. I lost 0 rights and so on.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Put that mask on, discriminate against anyone who isn't wearing a mask, socially distance yourself because its the cool thing to do, and don't visit your parents. You're making the world a better place, keep it up!

4. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    PROs:
    - i only use the car for shopping so it's once per week
    - i sleep longer because i don't have to drive
    - no distractions from collegues
    - when i get a call the boss has actually something important to say instead of just walking into the office, realizing he didn't think this through and leaving again without any outcomes
    - i can lurk on guru3d forums and other sites whole day while at work
    - i can watch long running reports well into the evening and quickly save the summary while playing games, reducing workload for the next day
    - i eat healthier meals since i can prepare them in my own kitchen
    - i workout while listening to useless meetings on the speakers
    - i have relaxing music running while working ( )

CONs:
    - i seem to work longer but somehow it doesn't matter to me since i'm already at home
    - i hate goin shopping with a mask and rubber gloves. in the mirror i recently noticed huge shadows under my eyes perhaps due to the contrast with the white mask.
    - i noticed my friends are more on edge and discussions heat up when we all talk via cam software. I think they have issues seeing their girlfriends the whole day long. :D ( thank god i'm an introvert )

anticupidon likes this.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Why so hateful. Also why so sarcastic. I am not discriminating against anyone. And I ain't doing things because it's cool, you are being really weird you know. I ain't wearing a mask not that available here anyways nor something we must wear. We've been anyway through the thing already because we did those things and stuff is back to normal so eh.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes, following advice given by health care professionals actually does make the world a better place.

If you can't handle it and have to take a piss on those that do, that's your problem.

7. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    I agree with OP's sentiments!
    - Saving around £500 a month from fuel/food.
    - Keeping in touch with family has advanced for the better.
    - Exercising & sleeping more!
    - Smoking more weed!

Negatively
    - I've missed out on an all expenses paid company holiday, sucks!
    - Was really looking forward this girl coming over from Canada for summer 2020.
    - Other summer plans such as gigs, events and birthdays are all cancelled.
    - Sometimes i drink too much, on a little purge at the moment.

8. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    I live in Belgium, where the secretary of public health is incompetend beyond belief.
    Lost an aunt to covid-19.
    Society here is rotten to the core, selfish people everywhere. No toilet paper in stores, hoarders buying everything.
    God, sometimes I thought people were using it as wallpaper for their houses.

anticupidon likes this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Have a distant relative working as a nurse in Belgium. The horrors she told... beyond belief.
    She got infected, and was actually forced to work sick. She was supposed to treat patients, not to kill them.
    She is preparing a lawsuit.

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I saved approximately 400 bucks on gas because the gasoline price plummeted.
    Had to keep working because I work in an essential sector.

Besides that groceries are now a pain in the ass and I crave my favourite greek restaurant.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well....
    an undisputed number of hospital neglect is that 100k each year die
    the real numbers may be over 300k a year by medical personal

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals/

"In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year"

"We rate the claim that hospitals get paid more if patients are listed as COVID-19 and on ventilators as TRUE.

Hospitals and doctors do get paid more for Medicare patients diagnosed with COVID-19 or if it's considered presumed they have COVID-19 absent a laboratory-confirmed test, and three times more if the patients are placed on a ventilator to cover the cost of care and loss of business resulting from a shift in focus to treat COVID-19 cases.

This higher allocation of funds has been made possible under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act through a Medicare 20% add-on to its regular payment for COVID-19 patients, as verified by USA TODAY through the American Hospital Association Special Bulletin on the topic."

so lets see now
    Study Suggests Medical Errors Now Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S

defund hospitals NOW

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It hasn't really affected me at all "day to day"..... I've had to work every day as if nothing has happened. The only change is, I have to wear a mask constantly.

The only real change I've noticed at all, is doctor's offices send bills faster and want them paid sooner as if people have an over abundance of money right now.....and my local city decided to increase property taxes.....which has pissed people off since they made the decision after "stay-at-home" orders were issued. The state has apparently decided to increase registration fees as well....

13. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    School's Finals
    Most anoying for me was my finals @ school.
    They were scheduled for early april our government did screw up and moved them 2 times with the probability of maybe move the date for a 3rd time
    Also the whole situation was quite discomfortable i had to wear a mask while writing the tests.. everyone seemed to be stressed and did not know exactly
    how to handle the situation etc

But luckily i made it :D

Gym/Fitness
    Then there's the situation with the gyms, lifting is life for me, i'm usually 5-6 days per week in the gym..
    had to revert back to home-workout only which was quite a change after 3 years in the gym.
    I have weights (dumbbells, barbell) (but didn't have enough - had to order more weight discs + they were out of stock for the most shops or more expensive than usual :/)
    + i've got a bar in my doorframe, some springs that're for working out pecs/shoulders .. so i may could count myself to by lucky, but it took me a while to get a good workout out of it again

I managed to gain a bit of mass (bodyfat is still the same as before), so i can count it as success
    but seriously, i really hope the gym here will open soon (it's a smaller one, not run by a brand, they seem to have trouble getting the covid-hygiene stuff managed for their rooms/equipment but idk)

Parents
    Also there was my parents, my mom which worked from home for weeks now and.. it got quite anoying xD

Friends
    I also felt a bit isolated after weeks of not having friends visiting me or me going to visit someone

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Please stop posting your agit prop and false claims. Thanks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ore-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/3000638001/

Yes of course we could improve our medical system. Why you're conflating that with some wacked out conspiracy you're inventing, is beyond me.

15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Working from home now mainly, with the occasional site visit.

It's put more emphasis on me and my thoughts about hygiene. Sure before i would was my hands but no where near as i do now, i am even more apprehensive about door handles and people being in close prominity (well potential) etc.

One thing i have learnt about this, there are still alot of dirty sods out there.

AsiJu likes this.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I am stuck in my house largely due to the fact i have elderly parents as well they are in their early 70s and it is high risk for them as anyone knows. I can't go anywhere like I used to. I also learned that alot of people in my State and Country are stupid morons. Which lead to us having a mandatory wearing masks while in public.

I also learned that computer part sales have gone way up and some people who work in retail said that it was like the Christmas shopping season. Also it made it very difficult to purchase computer parts because earlier in the year they stopped making parts for a time and then they started it back up again and they didn't have enough shippers to ship the supplies to the sellers and Masks and other healthcare supplies take top priority.

When I was getting the parts for my new rig I had the pull the trigger on the 1st motherboard that is reasonably priced and go on from there. I ended up getting the ASUS ROG Strix - E Gaming X570.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok I will play along
    name 1 false claim I had in that post
    all were from the med industry and scientists it was also a reply

18. Cockbender

Cockbender Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    Well, the mayor enforced businesses to require masks or businesses have the right to refuse customers. Plus he required us to stick certain signs on our doors. So we did all that. Then a few days later the governor stepped in and overruled that requirement, saying it is unconstitutional. Other than that, social distancing.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    "so lets see now
    Study Suggests Medical Errors Now Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S

defund hospitals NOW"

Please STFU.

I've noticed younger folks like you also do dumb things like stuff your food THROUGH YOUR MASK instead of removing it while sitting in one place eating.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah and here I thought my sister was joking when she said she saw a person sticking a straw through the mask for purpose of drinking while she was at the pizza restaurant a few days ago though to be fair under and up could have been a thing too since you can't really run right up to people and check. :D

These protective visors are also something I see more of now, or a combination of these and amask of some kind (Hopefully actually certified as having some effect for filter purposes.) though mainly among more elderly people but it's not a bad practice to have some precaution both against risking infection or also I suppose from accidental coughing and what not. (There are still some annoying pollen things around after all, I have light sensitivity to some grass based type myself.)