HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    So I have been trying for a while to get an HBAO+ flag for Phantasy Star Online 2. None of the pre-made flags actually work for the game, so I had to use my own. The only way to get anything to actually work in the game is to mess with the first 3 spots. So I got it....kinda working. Anyway, the flag is 0x00000482, and here is a screenshot (this is my first post, so I will post the URL, remove the period). ht.tp://abload.de/img/pso20140723_194748_00bjjim.png Obviously that is way too dark and there are serious issues, but that is the best I have gotten sadly. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions for what could be the problem?

Edit: As it turns out, just that 4 alone gives me the same result :/ As someone who also found a good AA flag for this game as well, I can say that this is one of the screwiest engines ever made. :bang:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    MrBonk, could you suggest any custom DX1x flags to test?

3. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @MrBonk

RE: Binary Domain

Cool, I'll check back in hopes that you might find something, and will test a few additional flags myself..

4. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

In BL2, 2F gets a little unstable way off in the distance, within the fog. The entire shadowing engine in the game is a little unstable so it doesn't exactly detract majorly, but it's still something worth mentioning. It may also look more suitable when the outlines and cel shaders are disabled, since the extra shadows detract somewhat from the "cartoony" look they're going for.

It also results in the white "death" screen having a noticeable cube look, though I guess that's unavoidable with how they mapped the area.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sounds interesting.
    Don't own "Binary Domain" myself, so I can't contribute much in this regard :)

But please make sure to test any HBAO+ flag you find for BD with Blaire's new SGSSAA & MSAA flag "0x006000C1" for the game:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9384609&postcount=2829

This new AA flag should give much higher AA quality than the old "0x00400046" variant.

6. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Gears of War

Despite testing all official and truckload of custom flags, I didn't found one without flickering or heavy bleeding, neither for DX9 or DX10

7. evgenim

evgenim Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3070 OC
  8. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @MrBonk

I now see the issue Thalyn is reporting, though I think it only occurs when there is depth of field being used during any given scene. There may be some flag that handles this better, though aside from that 2F seems to be pretty good.

Hmm, maybe it would be worthwhile to 'grade' the strengths of the available flags in the list in some simple fashion? i.e. Green, yellow, red, where Green is an issue-free flag, yellow is pretty good but with minor issues, and red is no good? I know this would require a fair amount of work, but maybe it can be done as an ongoing project just like the list itself? Would be willing to lend a hand.

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    A simpler solution would be to state in the list, that "2F" is only suitable when DoF is disabled.
    Perhaps you could make screenshot comparisons of the problem, both with and without DoF in BL2?

I don't own BL2, but in the original Borderlands you can disable DoF by setting "DepthOfField=False" in WillowEngine.ini ;)

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If it's anything like the DoF in BL1, it's awful and should be disabled anyway.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    0x00000019 seems to work with Dead Island: Riptide as well. :)

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    After testing a little, this noise you talk about. This isn't related to the SSAO option in the game. It's there no matter what the setting is.

The higher the resolution the more prevalent it becomes in some areas as well. Nothing we can do about it.

Seems like game has some kind of secondary AO system built in or something

13. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Hey everyone,
    I was curious if anyone has had any success of getting HBAO to work in Open GL games at all (I am not even sure if the injection works in Open GL games to be honest).

I have tried a few bits but with really no success. As far as I know it does not work probably.

Te game I specifically curious about is Doom 3 actually though.

Thanks for any response!

14. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    There is no "injection" going on really :)
    Currently it isn't possible to force either AA or HBAO+ in modern (deferred) OpenGL games.
    The reason is, that the driver lacks functional AA and AO bits in this API.
    It is a similar driver limitation, that prevents forced AA from working in deferred DX11 games:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544701/geforce-drivers/petition-for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/

In Doom 3, you could try the "Sikkmod" to enable SSAO, but this may cause some side effects:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/sikkmod

15. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Yeah I assumed so. Doom 3 is not deferred (still a forward rendered engine that does lights quite differently though), but it makes sense that it would not work.

I was mainly trying to avoid using Sikkmod's SSAO because of how it tanks performance due to not being a native implementation :p-

THanks though for the help!

16. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    any solution for dark souls 2? all available flags has annoying flickerings and fog problems. :/

17. tmaldo23

tmaldo23 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780ti OC/3GB SLI
    Hi, I have tried recently the default flag for Starcraft II (0x00000027) in Starcraft II, and it does work properly. I have also tried the flags 0x00000023 (Fable: The Lost Chapters) and 0x00000029 (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) in Assassin's Creed II, and both work ok.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sorry guys, i've been so exhausted and tired from work and stuff lately that I haven't had any energy to post any updates.

I did test and find a working flag for Binary Domain for example, but I still need to do a little more testing to verify some resolution based issues.

Update will happen eventually here.

19. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Sorry to quote it and repost it, but nobody mentioned a thing about it. Can anybody shed some light on why the third spot did something for this game? I'm having trouble figuring out the logic behind the bits. It's almost like there isn't any logic behind it. The AA flags actually have some perceivable logic to them lol. Again, sorry to repost it.

Btw, "We have no clue how it really works" is an acceptable answer :p

20. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I didn't find any references to it so I guess nobody ever tried HBAO+ in Witcher 2? The game already has SSAO implemented so it might be possible. I'm gonna try it today... after I figure out how to do it.

Can I change the flags in NV inspector on the fly and see the changes applied or do I need to close and start a game everytime I try to test a different flag?

Thanks. Driver forced AF works in TW2? I remember reading once that it didn't.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014