GTX 980 ti plastic burning smell, need guidance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by darkbasicmaster, Jan 2, 2021.

1. darkbasicmaster

darkbasicmaster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980ti 6gb VRAM
    GTX 980 ti. So Long story short, Yesterday while playing a game, gpu started emitting strange plastic burning smell. Shutdown, disassembled it completely, visual inspection of top and bottom pcb components turned up nothing. Thermal pads seemed fine, no tears, still smooth. So I cleaned everything with alcohol, cleaned thermal paste off and reapplied some properly, dusted everything off and put it back in. It boots up fine, idle temperatures are great, and I can still play games just fine, fps is great. but after 5-10 minutes of load I get that plastic burning smell, it seems the components connected to the thermal pads are overheating and heating up the plastic portion of my gpu, very strange and I've never had this problem. I'll show you a picture below.

MSI Z87 G45 gaming motherboard
    GTX 980ti hybrid
    Intel i7 4770k w/ Corsair water cooler
    16gb Ripjaws 2133mhz
    Evga SuperNOVA 850W 80 plus gold
    Sound Blaster Z sound card
    WD Blue 6TB HDD
    Seagate 4TB
    OCZ Vertex 3 80gb SSD
    Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

I've had this entire build since 2016, I've updated a few components since then like the PSU, added the 860 EVO not but a week ago, and had to RMA the graphics card so they could replace the pump twice within 3 years. The PSU is about 3 years old. And to my knowledge it is in good condition. The only change I’ve made recently is I added an SSD, a Samsung 860 EVO, and plugged in a sata power connector to an extra sata slot on my psu. Shouldn’t be a power problem.

As you can see below, that wet plastic look are the areas that the plastic has been heated. When I disassembled it completely, and looked on the other end of the plastic it was the same, I don't know if i can continue to use my card or the plastic might burn? I need advice on how to continue from here based on the information above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also for more info, here are my temps/reading with hwinfo at idle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I can only assume the liquid cooler may have lost some coolant over the time its been used and can no longer cool effectively or it has once again died or got pump issues, what are the temps like under load?
    Personally I would RMA it again they will probably swap it for a newer Gen card now anyway if it is still under warranty

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the R33 inductors are superheating, cards going to fail soon.

These are 2 two smaller chips in the middle of the row of R22's.

4. darkbasicmaster

darkbasicmaster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980ti 6gb VRAM
    Yeah the day of the post I put it back in, tried to do some sensor readings and something blew and a small trail of smoke came out of the right side of the card. don't exactly know what blew

5. darkbasicmaster

darkbasicmaster Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980ti 6gb VRAM
    Here are the photos of the pcb. From my own visual inspection, everything else seems fine but the fact that I'm completely missing an r33 inductor, must've blown off lol. And it appears 1R0 Inductor is toast. Can you guys spot anything else?

top:

[​IMG]

Bottom in halfs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is the Memory VRM, theres no guarantee that the IMC isn't fried because of this, but you would have to replace the inductors and the 4 mosfets.

7. Storm Alert

Storm Alert Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060