GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    lets face some facts people...

1) nvidia knew already hd6990 would be the fastest single card on the market

2) because gf110 was expensive, they've chosen low clocks, and they thought low clocks it would be easy to make a cheap low built quality card, with low voltage...

the result no overclockability, and couldn't dominate hd6990...if 6990 used the switch the difference would be huge, and except that, 6990 would never blow or die...

NVIDIA FAILED...they shouldn't use 2X gf110(gtx 580)

only 560 sli 2gb (4GB) in one card could become the perfect rival for the 6990 and of-course it would be safe and cheaper...!!!...nvidia were idiots...gf114 x2 with 2gb(4GB), should be their dual card...and 100euro cheaper than now...that would be a win...for it's price range...

next year nvidia...now AMD will own the market...nvidia has only 580, amd 69XX series.

2. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    technically its only nv's fault if these things fail at their advertised stock speeds. pretty much every manufacturer (besides EVGA, MSI, few others) that im aware of doesnt support overclocking. if you do then your warranty is voided. the few that allow it do so in a way that covers their asses when things go bad. they know that enthusiasts will find ways to tweak their hardware one way or another so some allow it on a limited do-at-your-own-risk basis with apps like AB and precision. even then there are limits.

some parts are made for ocing and others arent. CPU's with unlocked multipliers and cards with aftermarket cooling for example. if this proves anything its that this card has pushed the limits of what could be done on a single pcb with 2x 580 chips...to the point where there is little or no headroom for ocing/oving at the moment. designing a better VRM would have taken time and money...hurting their bottom line in the enthusiast segment where ati already had a head start. maybe it was released like this just to get it out there to compete. who knows.

im sure this will get sorted out. board partners will design their own pcbs and add better cooling.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. LeinadBRA

LeinadBRA Member

GPU:
    9800gt SLI
    First the GTX550 deception.... too weak :thumbdown, not upgrading until next 28nm gen, and now this! (And im not even considering my dead 8800GT killed one year ago by c&*p NVidia Drivers... Also theres the fact im still on the 259 ones because 260 and newer are causing constant crashes not only on games but on windows 7 itself with my 9800GT SLI setup).

Seriously! The only reason im still useing NVidia is because of the trauma i had years ago with a Radeon, also the fact that many people are complaining abought drivers recently, add to that that vendors here where i live are not working with Radeons for the last 2 years because of "Excessive tecnical problems" (But this one is probably because most of the PC users here are re$%¨ds and cant even fix anything useing ctrl+Alt+del because they are scared of doing that :wanker: so not blameing AMD-ATI on that lol).

If NVidia doesnt improve on the next gen, i think im going to take my chances with AMD-ATI, trying to hold to NVidia but what i want is bang-for-buck mixed with a durable and quality hardware product with a decent Driver software support and that doesnt blow up my eletric bill either (Or even itself on this case lol). Imo, the more the time passes, the more AMD-ATI is matching all my needs and requirements and NVidia is getting itself kicked out little by little.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Theres a lot of people in here still missing it, and that is, THE 590's ARE ALSO BLOWING UP AT STOCK, OUT OF THE BOX, NO OVERCLOCKING, NO OVERVOLTING!!!

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    EVGA and MSI have their own tools for overclocking lawlz. Pretty sure Asus does too.

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Rich your enjoying this thread far, far too much. Anyone would think your an ATi fanboi :evilgrin:

Fastest single dual pcb card that needs Xfire profiles (or sli profile for NV)

Just being pedantic :)

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    [​IMG]

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think that would be hard to prove either way TBH.
    bring us 28nm and stop with this x2 crap already.:bang:
    I was just saying that my 295/gx2/7950x2 all can handle added voltage without issue but this lastest card is just lame it seems bah why bother?
    heck if you have the cash for this card you have cash for a real sli/cf mb lol

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    read the next sentnce in my post. a few do allow oc with their own software in an attempt to keep things under control. they must feel that not allowing it in some amount will encourage users to do more drastic things in an attempt to oc their hardware like bios editing/swapping. so its allowed under limited conditions, which can still be circumvented, ie: "unofficial overclocking".

they took a big swing by cramming two 580s onto a single pcb. it looks like this one was a miss...especially if they are failing at stock clocks.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well i dont know about stock clocks AND stock voltage.
    Thats what i find hard to believe.

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

HA!:banana:

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well looks like Nvidia guys actually did great job on adding smoke feature :D

and I was wondering, about that mysterious vid...

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It seems Nvidia having the top single GPU for 4 straight generations is a bit much for the red team. The top performing single GPUs is really where the attention is, and is where Nvidia shines. And the red team dont like that. Any sign of weakness or error by Nvidia, and it becomes a feeding frenzy. Like starved piranhas that have been thrown a small piece of meat.

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^ This , i know already of 5 dead cards from my friends that died at stock voltages stock clock running heaven and Vantage benchmark , add 2 more testing on LN2 and 2 more on H2O = 9 cards already , how many dead 590s have not been reported ? this card cannot even handle 100% full load on GPU for long periods of time , yes it will blow up in smoke even at stock voltages and stock clocks. Nvidia should make a recall on this cards me thinks :/ , so many cards 590s have died and since has not been reported it looks thats just a few cards , the truth is , its going to happen soon or later , its like a time bomb , this card its a total failure and im sad i had high expectations on this card. Ill wait for the next 28mm cards to be release , as of right now 590 or 6990 are not apealing to me at all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is way worse than you think.
    Power is proportional to the Voltage squared.
    The increase in power going from 0.93V to 1.25V is 80%, assuming you dont change the clock speeds !!
    Power use will increase even further with higher clock speed.

Also
    Newer fabrication processes reduce the required and maximum voltages.
    This means that you cant compare old voltage requirements with todays requirements, you might cause permanent damage just trying them out!

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    what do you mean? the hottest part of the card is not the cores?

The temp monitoring is broke too i guess?/: lol

edit
    was being sarcastic in my comment

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Do they have oblagations to nvidia or something?retail cards they paid for or reviewers guys?
    why would they not want to help the oc community by warning anyone of this matter?
    i did not even think of buying this card either f these 2x cards this is just icing on the top.

so if every card blows up stock then there will be massive out of court settlements?
    Or maybe some are just getting carried away???
    have your friends clear it all up for us in xs thats where the die hard oc community goes.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If anything it shows that the VRM area is extremely hot, if its pushing 112c on the back of the card then the actual temp must be in 130-140c range. The core temps seem to be reading on the low side also compared to the thermal pics.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Least theres one title it can hold :-

Best BANG for buck :D