GTX 290 info

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MAD-OGRE, Nov 13, 2008.

1. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    So what would be the best thing to do. Seeing the GTX260 is not going to get a major improvement, at least not like the other cards. Is getting a GTX260 Core216 now and wait for the GT300 series the smartest thing to do? Or should I wait for the GTX280 prices to drop?

2. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I don't know... I don't even understand which cards are gonna get the die shrink?
    The dual GPU GTX295 is 2x 260s right? (probably on smaller fab process 55nm)
    The single GPU GTX285 (WHY THE 5 ?) is a beefed up 280.
    I feel the GT300 series is gonna clean the floor with this gen, because I smell nVidia GDDR5. This is taxing on my brain... Can't decide

3. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well, I was pondering this also but I was just given the green light on a new TV so now I've gotta wait until feb. to get a new gfx card. So time's on my side, I should know by then how everything shakes out.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    just give me one of theses things already nv 295 dual pcb x2 cores
    as for the 48x2's ...well second best single benching card aint bad either
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i got info from Very Real Zite

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008

5. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Ugh, too much fanboyism in here, and all over Guru3D recently - that scurvy nVidiot...ATI fanboyism too, where some kid decided to post about how the GTX 260 was not a powerful card by any means. I heard fanboys used to be banned, when will they reinstate that policy?

I'm excited for this new card - hopefully it'll beat the HD 4870 X2, which will make sure ATI comes back swinging, in fear of getting trampled all over again, which will result in another nVidia attempt at taking the crown, etc. - the joys of a competitive market, beneficial to us customers.

Really, I want more competition, this round of ATI vs. nVidia was great, and shocked at least me, when nVidia did not come out on top. I did not expect that, and resulted in my buying an ATI card for the first time.

I've heard a rumor being thrown around that this dual-GPU nVidia card might still fail to beat the HD 4870 X2. I think the rumor was grounded in how one nVidia GTX 260 beats out the HD 4870 in a small margin, and how the dual-GPU card might have two underclocked GTX 260s, as the GeForce 9800 GX2 had two underclocked 8800 GTSs.

Can anyone who's able to abstain from polluting this thread with further fanboy comments, objectively comment?

- PR-0927

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    eh? you got the right thread here m8? i just looked back through 2 pages and dont see any fanboyism..

7. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    read some of the above posts.
    i agree i hope the competion stays there with ati and nvidia. i like both cards and i would buy either. as far as dual gpu solutions, i will never buy an nvidia dual gpu, there support for them sucks. they did it with the 7950 gx2 then the 9800 gx2 support sucks now. it will be a fast card and it will probably be faster than the x2 but i don't care. my card works for me right now, when the new ones come i will step up to it. to save me from upgrading later.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    are you mad that i said the 48x2 well be the second best card?
    dont mind me
    as for the gx2 being under clocked
    having had both two g92 gts's and a gx2.
    you sure could not tell that the gx2 was underclocked it was just as fast in benches(i only play bf2 mostly)as two g92's in sli.

that said speculation/rumor says that the card will have 240spx2 on a 848 bit bus?if true,like two 260'216 cores even will give the egde to nv but who the hell really knows till jan 9??
    dont feel bad if the 48x2 is beaten its pleanty fast still , nv wants a ringer card,they would be stupid to put out a card that does not take first place back

9. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Oh snap, I did mix threads, my bad. Oh, well, I just don't like fanboyism, if that wasn't made clear, LOL.

- PR-0927

10. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    NVideacks rase up, all hail the new king is coming.
    lol, fan boys are not as bad as ppl make it out, most times its only because some one posts some thing not true that sparks a fight.
    GTX295 will with out a dought beat the 4870x2 in most games IMO.
    Now ATI can slash the prices and screw NV again but then we all win so who cares.
    Also this is the NV forums, ATI ppl ask for the flames when they post stuff here, so IMO again IMO they want the drama, you hardly see NV ppl posting in there forums at all.(wounder why)

11. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    i can't wait for the gtx285 to hit e-tailors.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i think you might have hit the nail on the head there boyo! well a few spelling mistakes but thats allowed :)

my step-up finishes around jan 10th..i'm so looking forward to sending my stuff to germany at the last second only for it to get lost/damaged in transit hehe

perhaps i'm being pessimistic.

yeah i agree the competition is good but i'd rarther see nvidia/ati merge and work together. think it would increase stability and performance. then we would all be in the same boat.

13. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Last I checked, this is the Nvidia fourm section, and this is a Nvidia GPU thread. I would think this is the one place that Nvidia fanboys could cheer on their company. :rolleyes:

14. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Yay, increase stability (maybe), slow down technology advancement (almost certainly), and increase price (definitely)

Worst idea ever.

15. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    what a major disappointment again... they slapped 2 GPUs together again pfff. cant ATI or Nvidia finally make the big step and make an efficient dual GPU solution on the same Core? Not only that will save drivers issues but power consumptionwise it will be more efficient ...

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    same:

Wel fo, I've had it with that crap, bring a a damn card that drains my damned power supply until it bleeds which actually turns my 8800GTX to shreds...

Seriously, less power consuming is usually a good thing, but where are those epic next gen cards like in the old days that would double the previous generations performance?

17. maxrep12

maxrep12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 460TALON sli 920/2120
    The days of Moores Law, where performance would double every 18 months, are long gone. A prime example are cpu's and their own incremental improvements.

Gpu's have not yet experienced the performance stagnation that cpu's have, but their progress has slowed.

The upside is that tremendous value can be had on the cheap nowadays, and sli options have increased along with improved real world performance.

18. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    absolutely true man.......i want to see some real increase in performance :bang:

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its the other way around lol.

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It is? Where? The only place ATI holds an advantage is price, and money isnt a problem for me so I'll buy the fastest - which from the research I did today, would be Nvidia.

Eth