GPU disappeared suddenly from device manager (Laptop)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xXFlipXx, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Here how they do it:

--------------------------------------GIVE A TRY------------------
    1.Download Intel Driver Update and update
    2.Use DDU remove AMD drivers
    3.Download this: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-14-8-whql-(14-201-1008-august-12)-download.html
    4. Disconnect from Internet
    5.Install Step 3

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Caesar likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also it is unwise with laptops to install (blindly) generic drivers from videocard manufacturer, because very often drivers are customized for the certain laptop models. And in case of iGPU+dGPU combos both drivers can be customized.

So laptop owners should approach generic drivers with caution. Always read release notes. For example, I remember that AMD listed some models of laptops (Toshiba was one of the) as unsupported by their generic drivers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, bad optimization on the driver can be such a nuisance.
    Anyone remembers those Nvidia driver able to overstress the GPU and kill it? Living proof of what I've said.(more like dead proof, pardon the dark humour).
    @Caesar I am quite familiar with that process, and soldering and microsoldering under the microscope. I do microsoldering for earning my bread and butter.
    The quality of motherboard is on lowest level nowadays, and almost all brands are cutting corners.

Caesar likes this.
  6. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Ok, i made my adventure to open it but to be honest i didn't see anything wrong, just checked also the zif connectors apparently seems fine...I've unplugged, dissembling everything i could, speacially the fan which i've clean everything. Also i've tried to pull out the cmos battery method for a period time...Back all together and the son of a gun still won't show up in device manager. I've restarted the laptop with the method of 30secs pressing power button while off and GPU came up again but only a minute...auuf :mad:.
    Like i said i'm not a tech guy, anticupidon i believe that may be the problem, but i also said this also happened with new fresh laptops, so it strange that anomaly taking so soon...i won't take a risk to spend a quite money to send a tech and repair it, when may happen again later this problem. For all the techs i have made contact, all off them says the gpu needs to be replaced, none mentioned the soldering method... So another reason to not sending it for the same reason, also i wouldn't know what was the fix method if you know what i mean...
    Like i said, i'll use it only onboard graphic with a dead dedicated graphic inside...maybe it could rise up again some day who knows. I'm a quite a gamer and i see this laptop isn't prepared also for gaming. If you spend some search on Google you will see many of them with the same problem...the dGpu suddenly disappears in the device manager for no reason...So many years and no one tried to figured this out...Some had succeded with basic methods, others didn't said anything later after the report...
    Thanks for trying to help me, guys.:(

7. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Caesar, i've tried that method but when i try to install the amd driver won't let me because it can't detect the Dgpu...thanks anyway

Caesar likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Sorry again, guru.... for your issue not solved.... here @guru3d we tried our best..

Greatly appreciate

xXFlipXx likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do not buy laptop with iGPU+dGPU combo if you want to game. Buy laptop with one decent dGPU.

xXFlipXx likes this.
  10. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    No problem thanks guys...
    Yes mbk1969, indeed, but my next achievement will be a Ryzen desktop gaming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Caesar and mbk1969 like this.

11. asp

asp Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I've recently had both Vega64 dGPU and Vega11 iGPU vanish from the system with no apparent way to make Windows see them again, suggesting to me that WIndows is making a decision that the hardware is problematic and should not ever be used. I triggered this by trying out the different BIOS configurations, such as Hybrid and PowerXpress modes. After several cycles of changing things in the BIOS and then booting up to see what Adrenalin software thinks of the changes, eventually WIndows decided to reject the hardware. Thankfully I always have a system image to restore to, and of course restoring to that fixes the issue.

12. xXFlipXx

xXFlipXx Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 M265
    Hi asp, unfortunatly i had to format, so i had no chance having the system to restore...glad that you have fixed it.