GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Been a LONG while since I posted here but anyways, I would like to know why a 9500 GT was even mentioned.

For a HTPC card it is left wanting in some areas such as a lack of the capability to decode VC-1 video streams. Unless this has been fixed with newer driver revisions.

I understand this article wasn't about the capabilities of each card but I am really scratching my head wondering why a more capable card like the 9600 GT wasn't mentioned.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's based on price. If you focus mainly at a HTPC (not gaming) both the 9500 GT and 9600 GT have the VP2 core logic embedded. The 9500 GT is cheaper yet has enough shader performance to manage the quality enhancements. You don;t need anything expensive.

The VC1 remark is correct. But that accounts for ALL geforce graphcis cards. Though VC1 is supported in purevideo HD, the one thing that isn't supported is entropy VC1 bitstream decoding.

Most (if not all) x.264 content is based on h.264 transcodes, so for the bigger part .. I feel it's a non issue.

3. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    How about an ATI 4350, does it have enough raw shader power to apply the filters mentioned in the article? If so, it seems to be a great value (about $35), and would be a prime candidate to replace the 7200gs in my aging HTPC (cpu AMD 4200+, does 1080p fine in software with FFDSHOW and COREAVC).

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Can anyone test 1080p video on GMA950 based netbook using this GPU accelerated method? Like ACER Aspire One ? If it works on Intel GMA's also, that would be great :)

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Can't make a guarranteed statement on that TBH, acceleration yes, the shaders ... unlikely.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel does not have a video processor embedded, so no.

7. alma

alma Guest

GPU:
    POV8800GT512MB/Dell U2410
    I followed the instructions in the guide, at the first try I saw the cpu was idle while playng a mkv file so everything was fine, I closed the player and played the file again, the cpu job was back even if the settings are unchanged. any idea?

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The colour's dynaimc range is set to full (0-255) in both coreavc and the nvidia control panel, the difference in colour in those screenshots (which seems to be further amplified due to jpg conversion) is mostly due to the sauration level being lower in coreavc as that's my prefered decoder and I don't like too much colour saturation.

9. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Yup that's why I use K-Lite codec pack & Media Player Classic. (VLC is a distant memory for me. Even quicktime can play 1080p :( )

It's 1080p that VLC has a problem with.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  10. matricz

matricz New Member

When shaders enabled, not picture in MPC on HDTV..

When I enable the combined shaders, I can't get any picture inside MPC when I drag it over to my HDTV. But when I start the player with shaders off, drag it to my HDTV and THEN enable the shaders, it works.

Strange?

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Hilbert, well GMA950 does have some video processing functionality (not as much as X3000 and above series). I'll probably get Aspire One tommorow or day after tommorow but i'd like to know how it actually works today :p

12. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I've been using Media Player Classic (sometimes the "Home Cinema" varriant, sometimes not) for ages and I love it. Didn't know it was capable of hardware accelerated x264 playback. Thanks for the article! :nerd:

13. Trid3c

Trid3c New Member

GPU:
    ATI Peak 4870 512
    No dice

This just isn't working for me :S
    I'm running an AMD 4000+ (s939) and ATI 4870 512m card but my system will not run over the GPU, and my CPU obviously can't do it :p
    Please help.

Dylan

14. aaronbond

aaronbond Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB 765/1115
    thanks hilbert for a wonderful article on a program i've been using for about 9 months now. i never took a look into the shaders aspect. i'll give those a shot.

i wanted to point you all to a sweet site i happened across trying to get a newer build of MPC-HC.

www.xvidvideo.ru (it's down for me right now @ work :thumbdown)

they have all the latest revisions built and ready to go in x32/x64.

here's the link for the changelog
    http://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mpc-hc/trunk/?view=log

15. russ_tkd

russ_tkd Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512mb/47" Sharp
    Mediaportal

You dont have to ditch the remote. If you install mediaportal (www.team-mediaportal.com), then you can set mpclassic as an external player.

This way you can have mediaportal (a much better media centre than MCE) play videos through mpclassic and still have your media centre remote operate all of the functions.

Be aware though that mediaportal is very configurable, and requires a small investment of research and time if you havent used it before, but it is very worth it.

Regards

Russ

16. aaronbond

aaronbond Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB 765/1115
  17. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Or you could just setup a wireless lazer mouse. Just wire the mouse's USB receiver to somewhere near the center of the room with a USB extension cable and you can use the mouse right on your lap.. or the couch... or the cat* if you're so inclined. Who needs a remote?

*May result in a claw to the face. If face-scratching continues, discontinue cat-mousing. Some purring may occur. See kitty for details.

18. mlauzon

mlauzon Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
    The above is from the last page of your article, the following is what I currently have (I am following your layout format):

I assume then that I'll get flawless playback including combined shaders..?!

19. Delerue

Delerue Member

GPU:
    Zogis 9600GT
    VLC doesn't have any GPU acceleration. It also lacks multi-thread.

The shader '16-235 -> 1-255' it's the same as set 'Full (0-255)' in the Nvidia driver, and the driver option doesn't consume any CPU/GPU resource. Also, you can enable sharp and denoise via Nvidia or Ati driver, once again, without any CPU/GPU consume.

Bhaal and Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nvidia 8600/8500/8400 have the VP2 engine, so you can enable full DXVA decode without any problem. In 8 series, only 8800 GTS 320/640 and 8800 GTX/Ultra don't have it.

kado, CoreAVC 1.9 doesn't work with CUDA for me. And it didn't decode the 'Crowd Run 2160p UHD CRF22 x264-CtrlHD.mkv'. :(

For people that are having problems with the tutorial, I suggest to try with a know working video, like this, for example: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/animusic_rc.html

Also, blend isn't the best deinterlacing you can get. In fact, I think it's the worst. A bob with motion compensation, like Yadif (now embedded in FFDShow) it's a lot better. It's a pity that MPC doesn't have a shader to use this.

BTW, it's great to see an article trying to explain this mysterious thing called codec. :)

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Can i enable shaders with my X3100?

EDIT: i'll try it out and get back.

nope lol