Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
  2. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I personally think this has a lot to do with competition ... most of the equipment is manufactured in China anyway, the Huawei gear does have microcode they wrote. Huawei is in Europe/Canada and they are selling servers and storage at hugely discounted rates to gain entry into the market. A lot of competitors don't like it... imagine your 500% + markup is suddenly being eroded.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Anyone remembers Xilinx. Well, check their stock and what were they cooking with Huawei.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Damn, it's down big-time. I'm guessing Xilinx had a lot of business with Huawei?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Only things like streaming service for... China. I wonder how big that market could have been.

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Intel Qualcomm and Microsoft join... Good old Gorge Orwell is laughing from beyond the eternity - Eurasia vs Oceania vs Eastasia... Capitalism vs quasi-communism, trumpism vs mandarinism... Different "isms" share the common name "shittism"...

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  7. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Weird flex but ok

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Part of me is outraged and part of me is like "yeah whatever". I find this to be a severe abuse of power and unfortunate that Google is basically forced to comply (for all of you thinking Google wants to exile Huawei, I am pretty sure that is not the case). I also don't really understand why only Huawei seems to get all the heat. I can't imagine they're the only one governments should be skeptical of.
    On the other hand, I don't really care what happens to Huawei. Sure, they make some really cool stuff, but the market doesn't need them either. For me personally, the most I ever spent on a phone was $45, so it's not like any of their stuff was of any interest for my own use.

I don't disagree with most of that, though, I also couldn't care less which government wants to spy on me.

Aura89 likes this.
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Couldn't care less for Huawei or any of the CCP's businesses.

10. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Right, god bless Guantanamo, the bastion of human rights! (Wait, should we credit it to Cuba since it's actually on their territory? o_O)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic. Didn't google create a while ago a procedure to "self sign" your not "oem signed" device (so google can track u(?)) and get access to the store and the rest of their services?
    I bet Huawei can simply make an app to guide users to do this in a few semi automated steps.

Except for the fear of this global scenario leading to a 3rd world war in less than 10 years, I have to say I like it. Having 1 damn privately owned OS in all cellphones around the world (yeah, there is another "fruit" out there but it doesn't change anything) is freaking nuts and very distopian.
    Maybe this will revive interest in alternatives. (FF os, Ubuntu phone, cyanogen successor)
    (And no, we don't need 1 company and 1 OS to ensure compatibility, only decently designed and followed standards, look at java and how many devices are supported)(yes java is "owned" by a single company but if oracle disappeared tomorrow little would change in the java world)

11. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    With Android (+Apple, Windows) so utterly dominant there's absolutely no surprise thresholds of suspicion will be breached.
    Unfortunately, that's the current status of human nature and driven, primarily, by collections/countries/viewpoints still being a long, long way from reaching equilibrium with one another. We might have become more joined-up in recent years but we're far, far away from living in a world where suspicion is never far away. Trigger points are still way too easy to reach. Living in isolation is absolutely counter productive to advancing the planet as a(n inclusive) whole. Just my '2 cents'. Anyway....

With this particular piece of crap/stain on common sense, obviously the prime driver for this situation is Trump's refusal to engage thoroughly with China, and as a result, his obvious direct pressure on Google. You can be rest assured Google has no interest, whatsoever, in isolating itself/withdrawing.
    Let's see the full evidence (both sides) being analysed in public by a fully representative panel of Judges. You might want that same panel to then check out the rest our numerous collective issues our infants have.
    Hmmm...I suppose we're up to 3 cents now.

12. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Guantanamo and Yemen sends her love, my dear, and that only the US can offer. :p
    Trump's trade war will break the global economy! ;(

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    amazing what sweatshops can do to the global economy.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    ok ...so they say they are spying .... and they are going hard at it .. it is safe to say that they are working day and night to try to find any proof that they are spying but nothing came out so far ?.... i think it is safe to say they are taking every single model to pieces try to find anything ... was there a conclusive proof that Huawei indeed spies that i missed ?

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    As the U.K.’s Cyber Security Centre concluded in March, Huawei’s equipment is rife with security risks, and despite promises of millions of dollars in systems upgrades, the company had failed to significantly close the gaps.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    US gov. claim huawei do spying , but until now the-evidence isn't published yet, right ?
    anyone can claim anything, but without "prove/evidence" ... i cant see it as "true"

last time i read https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/18/german_cybersecurity_chief_show_me_the_huawei_evidence/

speaking conspiracy(jokes), i instead think it seems rather huawei didnt accept/let US(NSA) request to put backdoor on their product. Then US use falsely-claim they didnt want to cooperate because they spying for China gov.
    i mean there more news/prove that NSA spying on many things, right?

nowdays we use global-resources to make product, say MADE in USA , is it 100% all parts made in USA not just assembled in US ? even made-in-china not always 100%

17. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    that security-risk, is open for "everyone-that-know" right ? not just specific china gov.
    when i read the news "President Trump declared the national telecommunications emergency last week to protect the United States from foreign attacks"
    it more like it claim the security-risk is open for specific group, why ?

for me that is part that not-sounds-right ... they should simply say huawei product not safe, its enough right ?

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  19. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I just mocked the argument about "human rights," after all, US supports the Saudi regime, which is a dictatorship that disrespects the most basic human rights.
    About the trade war?
    Yes, it will break the global economy
    You could translate the "sweatshops"? I hope it's not racist, and if it's about pollution, let's face it, Trump is currently advocates increasing coal use, and claims that wind energy causes cancer in the brain. lol

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    We can't go there Bro....
    however, I will say your TDS is showing...Trust me when I tell you this...The sky is Not Falling!