GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Why are there people still fighting, when both cards are now released we have accurate benches (although some sites are extremely biased)? Truthfully, I'm still thinking that I should wait for 2nd generation Direct 11 cards, but at the same time I'm itching to upgrade.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    + 2 , definitely get another GTX285 :)

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    but dont you think thats more fanboyism vs fanboyism?

The ATI cards werent perporting to be uber on release, their focus was on DX11 and performance improvements. On the other hand Nvidia has been releasing bits and bobs and saying on twitter/facebook to wait for fermi.

At the end of the day it doesnt deliver, i couldnt give a crap about whether im using ATI or Nvidia, i only care about price/performance and on that level the fermi cards do FAIL, they are great for enthusiasts though so nowt wrong with that

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I agree they are not the second coming of christ as nvidia would have had us believe, but the doom and gloom articles also painted a much darker picture, so in that respect they have exceeded my expectations, I thought due to the 480sp that it would be <10% better than a 5870, but it is better, and on launch, so that is something...

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I hate to say it, but I think AMD takes the cake for innovation this year. I cant speak too soon, but, firstly, the 5800 series, and now possibly some kickass very affordable 6 core processors? Wow... I might go amd if I run by some cash.

Great job on the review Hilbert, I enjoyed every page even though it took 5 mins to load each of them :D.

As for the actual products... I'd have to say both 470 and 480 are a fail for how long they took. They both could boil water if a small tin was set on them in a btx case. Maybe I'll buy a 480 so I can make tea while I place crysis. 95c? thats insanity! The 480 does o/c pretty well, but jeeeeez! I wouldnt want to see o/ced temps. Dont think I'll be wasting my time or money on the 400 or 5800 series although the 5800 series is very nice. I'll be going elsewhere for another gtx 260 I think.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Expensive grill LOL :eek:c:

Eggs anyone :giggle2: , no wonder the guys are having a very very hard time overclocking this card on LN2 , the heat its uncontrollable even on LN2 :eek: , i just had a private chat with the top overclockers and the heat that this card puts out with added volts its just insane , and the wattage increase its horrendous ,not good not good.

[​IMG]
    By chispy at 2010-03-26

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    It looks alright to me but I not impressed i expected more. They will need to lower the price. Also theres no need of fighting each other over graphics cards performance. No offense but its like a bunch of drunks fighting over a girl. Plus theres no need screaming at each other because your views are different.

I sure driver releases may improved the card but they might not, it just the wait and this all we got made the wait worthless. Neither less its seem like a good card it just the wait makes some people feel its was for nothing.

The parterns are gonna have to make there own fans or borrow fans for there cards to keep the heat down because i have friends that will get annoyed by the heat and sound of the fan.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The GTX470 has pretty good price/performance, and will no doubt close the gap on the 5870, or increase it in some games over the coming months.

The GTX480 is just what Nvidia normally does with its top end card, create the fastest single gpu so you can charge what you want.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Haha, right, Ladies and gentalmen! We (nvidia) have released a new product today! The mini pc grill! Feeling hungry while playing WOW or MW2? NO PROBLEM! Just pop the side panel off of your pc and grill some brats! In the mood for coffee or espresso? No problem! just buy our new mini coffee brewer for $500! yes, thats right, $500 for a little peice of crap that holds a couple tablespoons of water! Why? because were nvidia :D.

^ I'm not tryin to troll guys, I'm an nvidia fan myself. I just gotta have my fun for waiting months and months for a freeking gpu.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    jajajjaa , im neutral :) , but this is too much , my friends are reporting throttle down on the cards while running benchies on air = its getting over 105c :(

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thanks for putting things in perspective Hilbert.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    que eres timido ya? pues espero que no. a mi creo es un gasto de dinero si no tienes agua....

pues pax

moz

14. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    no Call of Pripyat tests?

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think ATIs 10.3 Catalyst was purely released to take the blunt off Fermis arrival. It will be interesting to see further reviews of cards from Nvidias partners with better coolers and drivers in a few weeks from now.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's pretty sad that the brand new architecture is only slightly faster than an old gen GTX 285. Fail.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    it might get better :)

here is the new call for nvidia...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1XmZ9_ckdw

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ang this is the new single core card to get world (or just pb)records with
    even takes the 5870 in o3 can you believe it :)

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi Gino :) , the results are all over the place , but with better drivers they might be , the feedback im getting its the card its wayyy to hot to handle high volts even on ln2 , eats LN2 like crazy during testing and full pots always to get somehow acceptable temps :/ , got to go back and ask a few questions to Vince and Shammy in Team PURE private chat box , brb.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Have heard this though.

Thats not too bad compared to my card, easily hits 85c at 70% fan speed on a regular basis.