Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    or mass effect ;p. story yo helps.

gears was a vehicle to just shoot things with 1 dimensional deep gameplay. :p why some the combat just never clicks with i would say, hump wall shoot hump next wall. me opens up the combat in 1 and 3 some and 2 is the worst for gears of bore style combat.

now compare any gears game to doom or rage even, you get multiple powers to aid you in combat, stuff makes you move better, take more damage, wall humping is part of the gameplay but a fraction of the part vs the core part of the gameplay.

i think why i found gow boring tedious and nothing to get hyped over. i not played one since the first crappily ported one though. did not click with me and the combat of mass effect especially 2 was the worst.

XenthorX and signex like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Gears 5 will be using DirectX 12 on Windows 7?

DocStrangelove likes this.
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just the basic functionalities. DX12 in its totality cannot be ported to Windows 7 because the driver model would not support the advanced features. But some things, especially those which deal with CPU multithreading and overhead are apparently possible.

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Might take a shot at it now it's available on Win7 and Steam. MS finally learned something.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If you are playing this on 10, use the 436.15 drivers for the least crashing experience.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Apparently The Coalition is allowing members of the press to play segments of the campaign, and those previews will be available on Friday this week.

Serotonin likes this.
  7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    windows store is downloading this.... downloading really slow...

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You can get gears 5 on Steam *___*

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    but with gamepass beta can play free....but only through the windows store...

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm kind of torn as to whether I should buy it on Steam or on the Windows store. I bought Gears of War Ultimate edition and Gears of War 4 on the Windows Store and I never had any issues it either of them. And generally speaking, I always prefer to buy a game directly from the developer so as to maximize their profits.

But Steam will definitely have faster downloads. I can pretty much consistently max out my internet connection speed on Steam, whereas with Windows store, I can only get close to it and it's not consistent.

Depending on how good the previews are on Friday, will determine whether I will get the Ultimate edition or the standard version. I generally don't like playing online so there is no real incentive for me to go with the Ultimate edition; but the campaign should be really good this time.

Definitely first world problems :rolleyes::cool::D

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes, screenshots posted in article state the required OS for G5.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    KissSh0t and vbetts like this.
  15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Interestingly, playing Gears 5 Steam version on Windows 7 calls for higher GPU specs than if you played it on Windows 10. The recommended GPU for Windows 7 is a GTX 1660 Ti, while on Windows 10 it's a GTX 970. That's a HUGE difference, and just goes to show how inefficient Windows 7 is due to its much older driver model compared to Windows 10.

[​IMG]

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Previews are in!

Ars Technica's and Windows Central's previews are the most PC oriented of course, but even in some of the others, the reception so far is VERY positive.

Gears 5 technical details:

With Gears 5, the Gears franchise has apparently undergone a huge makeover, akin to Sony's God of War reboot. Vastly expanded environments, similar to Metro Exodus by accounts, with vehicle travel and points of interest etcetera. I also found it interesting that Gears 5 uses Havok for physics, and that Havok is now owned by Microsoft.

Also the campaign is 12 to 20 plus hours depending on how much you do. And all of the cut scenes are now rendered in real time, which will help keep the game size down.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Started pre-downlaoding on the XBX yesterday, 50 gigs so far, but it flew down the pipe at my full meagre 34 meg. ha

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    70 bucks on Steam is a bit steep. Gonna wait.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats nothing to do with the driver model mate.

Windows 7 feels the full brunt of the mitigations employed for speculative execution, the 1660 doesn't rely as much on the cpu for scheduler tasks as the 970 does.

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well it could be. As stated before, Windows 7 does not support many of the advanced features of DX12 like asynchronous compute, which will have a big effect on performance.