FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mid 60's is OK mate.
    FYI AMD CPU's have 2 temp sensors. The "core" reading which is really taken from a point on the die that is the closest practical measuring point for the cores, and the Tcase/socket sensor (for argument's sake we'll pretend socket and case are the same thing).

Tcase temp is always lower than die/core, and by knowing thermal resistance properties it is possible to calculate distance to T(junction) from Tcase.
    Which brings me to my point lol; the ~70c limit you read about may be the max Tcase temp; i.e if there was a 25c gap between Tj/Tcase then yeah max socket temp would be 75c (hypothetically speaking).

Hope that makes sense; but it prob doesn't. lol [​IMG]

Well 10hrs of P95 isn't exactly a natural CPU load.....

2. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I agree i just don't like that i can't reliably test this CPU for stability. Hell 15 minutes into prime i'm hitting 67C and rising. The Evo can't seem to keep it down or i've done a bad job mounting this time around.

Though i've benched and gamed all day at 4.5 on 1.392vcore with no problems. So until it BSODs or crashed i'm going to continue on lol

3. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Hi,

I've recently got myself a FX8350 chip and been playing around with it - Been a while since i've used AMD and not sure on how to read the temps. I user HWMonitor to monitor temps and are abit confused. You have a CPU temp under the "motherboard" tab wich is slightly higher than the AMD FX8350 package temps. wich do i need to keep a eye on when OC'ing?

I'm currently on stock with water on it - Idle CPU temp 35c Idle - 51c Load, FX8350 Package 13c Idle - 34c Load with prime95

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I keep my house at 73f with aire on, have to my medications give me hot flashes sweats whatever, and my cores dont go over 62c max on prime, thats at 4.8 , thats not too bad, my games dont take it over 53c.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Ignore package temps and keep an eye on the other one.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Actually, it does make sense lol

Basically I think if I keep coretemp reported temps under mid 70s, I should be good, Coretemp and HWiNFO64 and HWMonitor all seem to report around the same temps for cores, once the cores reach around 40c anyway, idle temps are screwed, I've had reports of 3-7c idle and I don't live in the fridge :D

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK read this it will explain everything. :)

http://help.argusmonitor.com/TemperaturemeasurementforAMDCPUs.html

Long story short the core readout is most accurate but not until the temps hit around 40c or more.

So what I do is use the AIDA64 cpu/package reading to measure idle temps then the core reading to measure loaded temps....

If you use CoreTemp it's gobbledygook at low temps but correct when CPU heats up, idle temps don't really matter anyway.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oops just realized I didn't finish one of my sentences

This was meant to read:

The "core" reading which is really taken from a point on the die that is the closest practical measuring point for the cores, and the Tcase/socket sensor (for argument's sake we'll pretend socket and case are the same thing) which is taken from AMD motherboards with a sensor located on the PCB.

9. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    Just two days ago I joined the FX-8320 owner's club, switching from the good old LGA775. I bought the brand new FX-8320, ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 and 2x 4GB ADATA 1600MHz and with the rest of the old PC, I'm really happy with the result.
    So now, the system looks like this:
    CPU: FX-8320
    CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
    MB: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
    RAM: 2x 4GB ADATA 1600MHz.
    VGA: Palit 460GTX Sonic Platinum
    CASE: Fractal Design 3000 with additional front and top fans
    PSU: Seasonic G-650

I completly understand that the 212 Evo isn't enough to cool an overclocked FX-83xx, as well that the 460GTX is bottlenecking the CPU. That's why I'm don't want to overclock much, only to disable turbo core and get to like 4.0 - 4.2GHz, if it's possible. My concerns are the temp readings and OCing by multiplier or by FSB. I know it's been asked and answered a lot of times, but I'm kinda confused, so just want to be 100% sure. That's my readings from 2+ hours of playtime in Guild Wars 2 from various places in the game:
    [​IMG]
    Reading the AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver OC guide, from my understanding - the CPU line under the Temperatures tab is the "socket temp" and it should not exceed pass 70C. While the Package line under the AMD FX-8320 tab is the "core temp" and it should not exceed pass 62C. So, when I start prime and just 2-3 minutes the CPU line reading is passing 60C, I should not worry and can go on with the stress test (right now the moment it shows 61C I'm stopping the workloads, but in games like Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3, I havn't seen the CPU line reading go over 55C) ?Is that right or I'm getting it all wrong?

The other thing I would like to ask about is clocking by FSB. Right now, I'm just rising the multiplier and have adjusted the vcore offset with just one or two positive steps (using the recommended settings for the DIGI+ tab). But through this thread I've seen people are getting better results with lower multiplier and high FSB. My question is - is these better results in terms of higher overclocks, or overall performance? Given that I don't aim to push my CPU much (at this time at least), should I start playing with the FSB too (once I'm sure about the temperature readings) or just stick with the multiplier?

That was kinda long and sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm new to the platform and things sure are a lot different then my old 775 setup, where I've pushed few Intel CPUs.
    Thanks again!

10. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I doubt that 460 is bottlenecking the 8320 if anything the 8320 stock at least and especially in GW2 is bottlenecking the 460. GW2 requires strong single threaded performance.

Your fine as far as temps i have the exact same experience with my Hyper 212. Prime95 or IBT my temps sky rocket, hell they're unstoppable. I've actually had a system shut down due to temp. During BF3, Crysis 3, ARMA, etc. (all my games) i have yet to pass 45C. Yet to crash yet either. So i just labeled it stable because without water i can't reliably test for stability.

I was able to get 4.0 on stock volts with my 8320 with 10hrs prime 95 stable, temps never went above 55C. Once you start overvolting though these things get hot. If your leaving boost/APM AMD pumps 1.4vcore for boost IIRC, i'm at 1.392 with LLC on ultra high so it stays 1.392 under load and as i said i can't stop temperatures.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

11. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    Thank you for the reply!
    Guild Wars 2 may not be the best example for bottlenecking, because as you said, it requires strong single threaded performance and on top of that - it's poorly optimized. But in Battlefield 3 I haven't seen the CPU usage go over 60%, while the GPU usage is always above 95% (altho, that could be because I'm still with the 312.xx drivers, because 326.xx are problematic for 460 and 560 gtx). Same thing with the Witcher 2 and StarCraft 2 - the GPU usage is at maximum, thus bottlenecking the CPU.

At the moment I'm at 4.2GHz with +0.0125v offset, it passes 10 IBT runs and the package (core) temp is in the lower 50s, but the cpu (socket) temp is around 60. But in any game so far, I haven't seen anywhere near these temps, so I guess I could push it a bit further, to like 4.4. My concern was that I wasn't sure which temp is which and what are their max safe readings.
    Once I find a good spot temp wise, I my try to play with the fsb too. Any idea if that will have some impact on overall performance, or just stick with multiplier?

12. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
  13. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Cooling?

14. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    xigmatek aegir with two coolers 35c idle 55 c load. and i can run it on 1.4v.

15. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Nice wish i could say the same for my Hyper 212.

16. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    lol my cooler is much better

17. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Hence my statement... :p

18. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    When you say you can run it on 1.4, do you mean 1.4 @ 4.7 Ghz??

19. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I've got mine 1,404v ~ 1,416v @ 4.6 Ghz and i think i should reach 4.7 on same volt with a few tweaks here and there.

When i first tried to OC this CPU i had to go to 1,47v ~ 1,49v to get stable on 4.7 and tweaked myself down to ~1,4v

20. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    So I picked up a ThermalTake water 2.0 Extreme, as it was on sale for 59.99 after MIB. I have to say this is a great AIO. I pushed my fx-8320 to 4.9GHz on 1.54 v, but I had to kill two cores for it to complete a benchmark. Any way, after some fiddling around I left it at 4.77ghz @ 1.477-1.488v on load. Temps are great. Running prime for 60 minutes yielded a max temp of 57C. My Antec 920 would be pushed to 61C at a clock of 4.5GHz. I highly recommend the TT as it's really cheap right now. The new software is great as well.

On a side note;

I noticed a row of pins were bent on the chip. I had to ease straighten them back. I haven't noticed any performance issues, but I think it warrants a purchase of an FX-8350. :) Hoping to win the lottery with a few chip lol.