Early build of Cat 11.7 (may or may not be for users)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    Damn,my computer is magic,always i doing update drivers and i dont have any problems,i dont uninstall drivers when i install new:).

2. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    +1....knock on ...well you know.:3eyes:

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You shouldn't need to. Remember most people with AMD, Nvidia etc aren't on these forums, and just install the new driver over the old driver. Magically somehow in most cases these people don't have issues either.

If the display driver is disabled and progams (such as ccc) closed off the files should be unlocked. If the files are locked for some strange reason, the installer should just issue a 'pendingrename' request which any program is quite welcome to do - its not restricted to Windows updates, and a restart is necessary.

If you are required to use driver sweeper each time then you should find out what is wrong with your system that you should require such action, otherwise it should only be used if there really is a proper issue (that is, NOT every time you install the driver) or if changing from ATI to Nvidia, and even then its more about system cleanliness than requirement.

If changing from say, AMD to Nvidia or Nvidia to AMD, you don't just rip out the old card and place in the new, you uninstall the old drivers first using the control panel etc.

4. eXisor

eXisor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580 3gb
    These are about the same as 11.6 on my setups (4870x2 and a HD3850 agp).

And since 11.6 saw a major jump in performance on BC2 & Metro 2033 it seems as if they're still actively optimising for all supported hardware.

(Of course it could just be that they fixed a huge speed gnarly in a common - to many hardware platforms - module, which is why it affects multiple hardware setups).

But I live in hope that it is the former rather than the latter since I need to hold off on upgrading as long as possible.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Try it for yourself LAZY girl ;)

6. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Tried already, this drivers + 11.6 CAP 2 works incredibly well for my 6970 CrossfireX.

Now I just need to wait for the next CAP's to fix Crysis 2 DX11 performance.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ive never ever had any issues when installing the drivers, so this is a first for me, every month you get people getting BSOD's on install, CCC not working etc..., but ive had absolutely nothing, i just uninstall the old ones, install new, and jobs always a good'un, but its just a fact of life, you will get problems at some point, no matter how you install the drivers, you just not a had problem up to now. :)

8. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    I have to say these drivers are phenomenal, I gained at least 6-8 fps in witcher 2, i was getting 29fps min in act 2 the war camp, now it wont go below 37, that is a very nice gain, also getting 4fps more in crysis 2 1.8, not updating until i get my second 6850, but very nice drivers amd seems to be getting there shiznit together last few drivers have had significant improvements good job amd!!

9. gijs007

gijs007 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire R9 290
    no bsod with this one:D

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Had a BSOD during install... Rebooted and used the catalyst install manager to do an complete uninstall rebooted and reinstalled CAT11.7 and so far they work really well with 11.6/11.5's I was getting 2d windows going in and out of normal/not responding every few seconds which with 11.7 is now gone, I was also getting amdkmdap restarts with previous 11.6/11.5's which I'm no longer getting either which is great...

so BIG thumbs up for this round AMD keep it up

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This early 11.7 driver may not be the final version. Which posses the question if you should get the released version or not? LOL, tough choices if that's the case. Unless the released version has a older driver build.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They seem to have come good, since Andrew D the CatCreator, replaced Terry Makedon the CatMaker, now make of that what you will :p

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is what I've seen as well. But clean installs are recommended.

Today, TPU has something written about it.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/148362/AMD-Southern-Islands-GPU-Codenames-Surface.html

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup :)

15. SeruX

SeruX Member

GPU:
    7870 1212/1331
    Very smoth but i get huge frame drop on League of legends like 30fps+

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Heads up for those who still play OpenGL games

If you are still interested in playing specific OpenGL games and are not sure if the newest drivers support them then all you do is copy the atioglxx.dll file from the previous working driver (windows\system32 for example) and place it in the game's directory. I suggest the game's .exe if it doesn't work the 1st time you try it. I also suggest that you make a note of it for future driver releases as they may offer improvements on the game and you want to test newer version vs the older version (just rename the older version in the game's directory to test the newer version).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  17. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Hey can u explain this in more detail please?

My Second Life OGL went to sh!t after 11.4 March23 driver ( heres a video of how bad it runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFfZVeBEWw and yes i have sent AMD a bug report about this.. with video link :p ) so i'd like to try this out on the official 11.7 if the OGL is still crap for me in Second Life,cheers :)

18. Carstuar

Carstuar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III
    These are really good for me. Slightly better performance than previous drivers, and good image quality.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Explained another way

Install Cat 11.7 as normal
    Reboot
    Either download Cat 11.5 or use the Cat driver of your choice
    Click on the cat file of your choice. At the Catalyst: Installation Folder. Click on Install and exit when completed.
    Navigate to: C:\ATI\Support\11-*_vista*_win7_*\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\some random digits\atioglxx.dl_
    Copy and paste that file on C:\
    Open CMD with Admin rights. Type expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
    Copy atioglxx.dll to the game's directory (try the same sub directory as the game's .exe)
    Play the game exit then rename atioglxx.dll to atioglxx-old.dll
    Play game again to see if there is any change in IQ/performance

20. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Have anyone tried this driver With "F.E.A.R 3 , if any gain in Fps?