EA: “Our games are actually still too hard to learn,”

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by BetA, Feb 8, 2015.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    [​IMG]

:puke2: yay, expect more dumb´d down Games in teh future..
    Idiocrazy, here we come...:bang:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If you still need to learn how to play BF... you still need to learn how to play an FPS tbfh. Except for the chopper/jet pilotting, that's about the only exception.

I go in the options menu for every new game I play. It's the FIRST thing I do. I bind actions to buttons that I find logical and stick with them. It also gives me a hint and a clue about gameplay before even remotely clicking "Play Game".

But then again we live in a society where no one bothers to read a manual if need be.

[​IMG]

The average consumer...

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    All so true... been running custom keyboard layouts since Rocket Arena.
    This will ultimately lead to less needed 'skill' to play EA games, and we'll see many, many titles optimized for brainded f*cks.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's just ****ing EA. Ignore them and their games unless you really need FIFA and Battlefield.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    LMAO are they kidding me?
    Just add god mode to every game even for mp and be done with it

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So the next BF game will have a pay to learn DLC. Give EA £5 learn how to play instantly. Basically the DLC removes all button commands and leaves you with just the X button, when you press it it flashes up on the screen 'YOU WIN' and that's the game finished. Takes seconds to learn but months to master!

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm going to be devil's advocate and say this can work. Entry level children video games on consoles are rare, let alone entry level adult games. If this statement means we still get our hard games and we make some easier, simpler games as well, then I don't see the issue.
    There is nothing wrong with expanding the market, make video games just as second nature as movies are to the public.
    This goes for everything. Ideally, you don't go straight to the major leagues, you start with T-Ball. The existence of T-Ball does nothing to threaten the major leagues, except possibly add more major league players as they get better and move up.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    sounds like the want to downgrade pc USERS to 4 button console users (less work for them and very limited games for us)

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh since when has has any of EA's sports titles have been hard to learn? To me sports games should be the easiest to learn. I though games now a days have some sort of tutorial with it.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    EA-DICE is probably the most shameless company in the industry. Just go read what their own employees say about what drives their game development decisions, and then try to justify buying their *beep* again.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Right. And almost any game could use more UI refinement (not dumbing down, just making UI navigation more intuitive) as our culture changes. But I doubt that's the kind of mindset that's guiding EA.

I get that you are just playing devil's advocate but just to stay on point, the way EA has handled much of its IP, it doesn't leave me with confidence to believe that EA is actually considering widening it's options like you suggest. It's probably talking about shifting existing IP, trying to double dip on "brand recognition" of more hardcore franchises and "ease of entry" that will wipe the characteristics of said franchises.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I bet they'll win the golden poo award again this year.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its just depressing, I remember how complex and interesting was playing games like nfs underground 2 with so many tweaks and things to explore, fast forward to 2015 and as soon as you open the game you're free running with a stock car which randomly changes the entire paint job every time you pass by a building

14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    EA games, its in the ass.

15. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    http://www.gamesradar.com/why-racing-genre-needs-be-more-hardcore/
    This article provides a great insight on hardcore games. The author focused on racing (using Mario Kart as an example of hardcore racing game), but it can be extrapolated to all genres.

It's possible to make games that are relatively easy to start, and still appealing to hardcore gamers. The problem is that hardcore gamers are a really bad target group for publishers, as they tend to spend more time with less number of games, usually only 1-2.

If you play a campaign in Starcraft, it lets you learn this game, but there's a lot of room for competitive pro gaming. In Diablo 3, a friend of mine managed to pick up game pretty easily, and complete the 1st act, when it was the 1st "real" computer game she played. In the very same game, playing at higher difficulty levels (like Rift 50+), requires a lot of dedication, skill, and is rewarding in terms of team play satisfaction.

I can agree that the games should be easy to pick up, but they shouldn't be dumbed down. In most cases, if after 2 hours in game, you still don't get how to use it, the devs failed. It's ok if you're still not comfortable with game controls and mechanics after that time, but you should get the basics in 15-30 minutes, unless it's a game as complex and difficult to be introduced to as Civilization series. At the same time, if after 2 hours with game, you can hardly see any room for improvements in terms of your skills, the devs failed too. There are some exceptions too, like story-based games eg Walking Dead series.

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Actually, more like this:

[​IMG]

17. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Ubisoft have that one in the bag this year.

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Golden poo award hahahaahh rofl. :D Hilarious dudes.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Expect all EA and Ubi games to eventually come with 5 buttons configs on all their games and across all platforms, fire, buy DLC, buy season, buy microtransactions, buy pre-order. lol

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    See I thought newer games were easier, gave rewards more, more handicaps, and doesn't actually rely too much on skill. Just "perks" that give "skills." Where as you have older games like 1942 for example, or let's just boil it down to rail shooters such as Quake.