DRAM prices to rise in first quarter of 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DRAM prices will start to stabilize and even rise slightly in the first quarter of 2021. Currently, the memory market is divided into 40% for mobile devices , 34% for servers, 13% for PC consumption, ...

DRAM prices to rise in first quarter of 2021

2. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Hm, better get me a new pair for Christmas then.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    These kind of news and this kind of reactions are what going to increase the price further.
    Not saying you're wrong, if you need it: buy it!

schmidtbag, DeskStar and Mpampis like this.
  4. sam640

sam640 Member

GPU:
    GTX-1070
    Great! I was planning on building a new PC by March but now, not so sure.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    DDR5 will cost a fortune next year. Poor early adopters...

Mda400, tunejunky and DeskStar like this.
  6. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    I'm on a Ryzen 7 1700, my 3200Mhz RAM isn't actually supported (I had it before I got the CPU) so I've been thinking about getting new RAM that works better in my system.
    And if CPU prices drop, buy one to build a 2nd PC with my current RAM and some spare parts I have laying around.
    Since the CPUs aren't getting any cheaper, I'll probably skip this altogether and wait for the next gen because -as you correctly pointed out- I don't really need it.

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Dude this speculation BS is sickening. Reading nand will be at its cheapest come the first quarter and now it's going to be more expensive.

You know who runs the stock market also?!?! Speculation!!

One can read in the beginning of the year it has been the best production period ever regarding memory as a whole, but three months later it's doomed to be the expensive it's ever been....

So damn stupid.

Go hot hardware and read it's supposed to be the cheapest next year..

Speculation needs to friggin stop.. it's what causes sellers to raise pricing.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    No difference than the previous memory iterations, but I do hear you for sure.

I'm done with the early adoption that is for sure.

I can look back at my being in the %.5 days and smile....... As I never had to LN2 anything to get there.....

tunejunky and Undying like this.
  9. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    It's still going to be dirt cheap compared to the likes of Rambus. Remember that one? Still, quite right, early adopters always pay a premium. I seem to always upgrade my rig at the tail end of a platform's life, and it's been working out quite well for me.

DeskStar, tunejunky and Undying like this.
  10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    So everyone must rush out now and buy ram because some guy in a cushy office has decide its a good idea to say the prices will will rise if you don't, it's the same thing almost every year.

Silva and tunejunky like this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    funny how all of that changes in the States on Prime Day.:p
    seriously tho, available RAM speeds on DDR4 today are higher than efficiency, and at peak efficiency are pretty blazing fast.
    just like each gen of RAM there will be a window where the new RAMS will be "slow" on the new mobos and you'd be paying a premium for what would be very ordinary RAM within a year.

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I plan to go from DDR3 and 4790k to DDR5 platform.
    Please send money to help me with my adoption funeral and paying for the DDR5 i purchased, thanks!

Undying likes this.
  13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Damn speculators!!!!

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I bought 16Gb of HyperX CL16/3333Mhz for my Ryzen 2600, hoping to upgrade in the future and already having the faster memory (price difference was negligible between 2933 and 3333 modules).
    Technically they're "not supported", but happily running XMP CL15/2933Mhz with no issues (they run at CL16/3200 too but may experience instability at heavy CPU loads).
    Here all AMD CPUs are almost out of stock, to the point Ryzen 2000 is back at launch prices and Ryzen 3000 is going up. No Ryzen 5000 seen anywhere (paper launch).
    I'd wait to get myself a 3700X and fully utilize your ram by then, that's what I'm hoping to do maybe next year.

Mpampis and Airbud like this.
  15. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    For me it's either that, providing the 3700x gets really cheap next year, or scrap the upgrade altogether and go for a DDR5 system with Zen4 in the future. No way I'm doing that as an early adopter though, it's not worth it.
    I was an early adopter of Zen 1 and Navi, but that was because previous parts had failed (until then, I was on a Core 2 Quad).
    Since a have a monoblock on my motherboard, the cheap 3700x is my preferred option, which has a much better memory controller than my 1700 so the RAM issue might be resolved.
    I'm pretty sure my current build meets my demands. It's not the best, but it's good enough. I kind of want to upgrade, I don't need it. But I won't overspend.

Silva likes this.

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I had two 16gb modules in my basket on newegg and they have gone up £10 overnight , so yes its happening again , great .

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    After these news circulated around the web, I'm sure there was probably enough people running to get something they don't really need inflating the price.
    The thing is: once it goes up, it will take months to come down.

18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am just getting the bits for my new build , I know what I want its just the graphics card I cannot decide on .

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Good thing i bought my 64GB kit last month before the fake price hike comes.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I still use 8GB... Never uses more than 5/6GB.