DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    What are these "Ultra Nightmare" graphical settings people are talking about? I can only crank things up to Ultra at the highest. :/ Or am I confusing graphical settings with difficulty settings? xD

BTW has anyone figured out if it's possible to further tweak the graphical settings via ini edits?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5271544&postcount=1270

With the debug console down use the command "menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1" and then you can set shadow quality and texture cache above ultra to nightmare even on GPU's with less than 4 GB VRAM. :)

Shadows should be 8192x8192 with cascade shadow maps and texture cache should be 16384x16384 so more detail when streaming data and less "fade" or "pop" as texture quality alters depending on distance to objects. :)

As for image quality I tinkered a bit with the (few) commands available and while initially promising r_antialiasing can't really be improved as the alternate modes relying on MSAA won't work since MSAA itself is non-functional so nothing there, can however turn off texture compression for the "VT" MegaTexture system but that's going to brutalize VRAM I'd imagine so depending on screen res and other settings a 6 GB GPU or above is likely recommended for that without totally tanking the framerate as GPU VRAM starts swapping around.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ sounds good!

Still haven't gotten to actually playing this dammit, downloaded overnight so should be done and ready when I get home from work.
    Unless the mobile internet connection I'm forced to use has been lost which happens quite often with large downloads for some reason.

I'll try to sneak out early...

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Could you post the commands you entered in the console?

Can't work out what you typed and what was already there

(Been awake 10 mins, coffee No.1 lol)

6. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone here played the game in Ultra Nightmare graphic mode?

Is there a noticeable difference between Ultra and Ultra Nightmare?

PS I really don't think this game is gonna run well on my system. Need a 1070. :wanker:

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ctrl+Shift+~ (That's "Tilde" above tab and to the left of 1)

This will open the debug console for the game.

write "menu" and press tab and the debug consoles auto-complete feature should change it to "menu_advanced_allowallsettings" and then you just append 1 to it so it looks like "menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1"

Press enter and the new command will set and you can then enable the highest quality settings for the previously locked shadow and texture cache options. :)

EDIT: Alternatively in Steam or as a shortcut to the game exe you can also add " +menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1" (Without " " ) and it should enable as the game is started. :)

8. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks, man. <3

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i forget whoever was experimenting with the AA modes (was it -Tj-?) but thanks. youre absolutely right. upon my own experimentation, ive noticed that every method of antialiasing except for default SMAA blurs not only the areas around edges, but entire objects...or in the case of FXAA, basically the whole screen. this can be partially counteracted by increasing the ingame sharpening filter, but that doesnt fix the disproportionate softening of highlights in reflections (which are everywhere there are shiny surfaces...or blood)

the last AA method is definitely the most effective by a long shot, & its efficiently implemented - but theres so much blur that i have to recommend downscaling + SMAA for MUCH clearer image quality

glad to hear it. yknow 8xAF would only cost you a frame or two...not much gpu horsepower required

im sure youre aware of this but just as a warning to others, if you mess around with certain CVARs youll disable achievements.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The save system is "check-point" based.

I'm playing on "hurt me plenty". Using my GTX680m with auto detected settings it runs around 28-31fps at 1920x1200. Medium to Ultra. Have to drop everything to low and even then it barely maintains 30fps.

Outdoor sections surprised me in level-design. Enemies are relentless, definitely Doom 1+2, nothing like Doom 3. Very good so far.

I think anyone with GTX960 and above should find this very playable. GTX980m no probs.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes the "God" cvar (The only whitelisted cheat cvar available actually.) puts the game in debug mode for your current profile locking online activity and tagging your savegame and snap-map creations as "cheat" so you have to create a new profile or if available turn off the command and resume from a point before you activated it. :)

All other cvars should be safe. :)
    (Strange how notarget and noclip aren't available, or the codes for all weapons or infinite ammo, nope just god-mode.)

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Got it, cheers :D

3.6GB vRAM usage with Nightmare

13. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Good news for SLI users.Id just confirmed that it is coming soon and to stay tuned

14. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Remind me, what does VT page size ? Its a hdd space, or what ?

15. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I have been reading on the AMD Reddit that people with 390/390X cards are getting low frames and drops when trying to "max" out the game (don't specify what Max is though).

Is anyone playing on a 280X level card here and can contribute to how it runs? Would I be okay if I am a bit more realistic and settle for High? Does Ultra follow High or is there a Very High option?

16. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I had to turn a lot of settings down to get 60 fps with 280x, still looks good tho.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Yep thats true, in some places it drops to 25-30fps. :bang:

At first i thought it was a driver issue, cause i didnt used DDU and have gotten bsods.

18. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Do you have v sync on?

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Opengl though. Vulkan will sort you guys out hopefully.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'm getting 31-45 fps with the settings I'm using which are a mix of high and medium. I left HwInfo on while playing and here are the results. The max numbers are of course while I was playing the game.

[​IMG]

It's using an extra gig of system RAM for the graphics. I have never seen that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.