Do you think this forum needs to be closed?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Dear forum visitors,

I guess that we’ve reached critical point in newbie threads issues here, and it is time to finish this story. I’ve just received the next complaint from the next 3-post forum visitor unhappy with RT forum managing style. I’m quoting it because unfortunately it is absolutely typical opinion, representing similar ideas of many other newbies and I receive similar things from “I cannot overclock my shaderz” guys after publishing 2.05 here and in other forums almost every day. The comments were related to this closed thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2467471#post2467471

Threads like this from Unwinder is frequent on this forum. They help no one, and only serve Unwinders apparent personal need to flame people. His response in this thread also indicates that he hasn't even read the posts, or that he doesn't understand the problems these users are having.

What is the purpose of a forum if its not for discussing problems, noobs or no? Why can't Mr Unwinder just skip these threads and let other users discuss? It's not like he needs to control everything on his forum boards, is it?

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

If you, guys, suppose that I don’t read and don’t understand the threads I close and spend time in the forum just to flame you, you’re seriously mistaking. I’d really like to invest the time killed on these endless “battles” into some more useful tasks. And if you think that it is fun to code freeware tool to help community then receive PMs like quoted one or read the threads like
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99286 or http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1405416&postcount=26 in other forums, then believe me – it is not fun at all and it makes me doubt if I do something useful or just really wasting the time for nothing.
    So, if I’m completely blind and if the forum is that useless and nobody needs it I can give you full freedom here or somewhere else. We can close the forum at all allowing you to discuss RT at some more professional web resource like nvnews or somewhere else, or we can create full anarchy here and I can allow newbies thinking that they understand RivaTuner internals better than me to post anything they wish right here. I may totally stop analyzing all postings, I may stop giving RTFM hints to beginners and redirecting them to http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=238078 because 99% of them ignore the link anyway, I may stop filtering and closing false bugreport threads, which just misinform others. That’s not a problem. Just say that you don’t need the forum and I’ll stop wasting time and nerves on it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Maybe you can name one or two people who moderate this forum or at least assist you in moderating. Unfortunately there will always be people who don't read/search before posting (I've done it once too, Mea culpa!).

3. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I would defiantly prefer if this forums stayed open it has an archive of threads that are useful .

The sad fact is that on the Internet your skills and hard work will be under appreciated . Idiots will always continue to come on here posting the same threads without reading the extensive manual or looking at the guides / stickies. Is it possible you could recruit some people to deal with the basic questions that will always appear? maybe some of your Beta testers if they want the job.

I just hope that this resource of information and REAL help isn't closed because 70% of the population of the Internet are slow , impatient or ignorant.

4. ogheeren

ogheeren Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800 GTS 512 760C/1900S/2100R
    No, the forum should stay open, I would highly appreciate this. But to be honest: your stile to response to threads is quite rude and unnecessary harsh. If you don't like to answer those threads for the 12836th time just don't do it. I understand that answering those question is boring and people are often to lazy to read. Have the same problem every day on supporting in and out of the house tech. questions. If you don't like it give the work to others who like this job and are competent enough to answer the questions or "filter" them for you. I guess this would be the best way to help yourself and the noobs.

5. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

The worst you could do is lock comments from all users, so they only receive your faqs and the software updates. With so little to browse (it appeals to illiterate people), they might as well read and help themselves in no time.

However, I'd also like this part of the forum to evade the nuke. :)

6. SimonD

SimonD Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti
    Keep the forum open but assign other moderators and don't get so heavily involved with each and every discussion.

I have been on the end of one of your curt responses advising me to search the forum for known issues (Vista 64 Hardware enumeration), which to date I haven't actually managed to find.

What's that meant to me? Well it means I can't run my 8800's in SLI and have the fans working at the speeds I want them, why? because my initial request was for a location to download 2.04 which had been working before I installed 2.05.

What it's also meant to me tho is I do still post on the forums (RT specific as well as other forums on Guru), just because I didn't get the answer I needed doesn't mean that others won't.

Finally I think you need to take a step back, yes we all appreciate the bloody hardwork you put into this great piece of software (I for one wouldn't be without it) but you take some of the stupid questions way too much to heart.

7. Garegaupa

Garegaupa Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5870
    There isn't really much I can add to what has already been said here, but I thought I should pipe up anyway.

I think the forum should definitely be kept open. It's a great source of knowledge and information - and the fact that the author of the program himself is present here adds immensely to this greatness.

However, I would have to join ogheeren and SimonD in saying that your responses may be quite a bit too harsh sometimes. Like SimonD, I have been given the answer "RTFM" for a problem I've been trying to figure out for about half a year now through all means I know of - including reading the manual. ;)

I know that you make RivaTuner for free, and it is much appreciated. It's a great tool with endless possibilities. And I understand that being asked certain questions over and over can be annoying - but please remember that people may not be newbies and lacking basic understadning of things just because they only have one or two posts on this forum. It may just mean that they have had no problems so far, and registered an account here to get help with something they have been unable to solve themselves.

So I would suggest that you answer those threads you think are worth answering, and just let the ordinary users on the forum answer the rest. Of course, insults or spam should be dealt with, but it's my humble opinion that any user asking a question in a polite tone (no matter how stupid that question may seem) should get an equally polite answer, like: "This issue is already documented. Please read the manual." Or just no answer at all, which I would also consider perfectly acceptable seeing how pressed you are for time.

So, let the forum stay, and leave the simple support issues to the users, which is how an Internet forum is supposed to work. That's my humble opinion, anyway! :)

8. regulat0r

regulat0r New Member

I agree with some of the above posters. I've recently received some 'RTFM' replies from you. The funny thing is I 'RTFM', forums, release notes, you name it and still couldn't find information specific to my issue. In fact, I've spent countless hours trying to resolve my issue before and after posting on these forums. Rather than giving me some time to discuss this with the Rivatuner community, my thread was closed. To be honest, I find some of your documentation to be a bit vague and misleading. Some people may think you are talking about something completely different than what they are searching for. I know what your reply would be to this, "If the program is too complicated for you newbies, DON'T use it!" That's all fine and well but I've been using RT for years and don't plan on using a crappy alternative.

I most definitely think these forums should stay up. I just don't think you need to involve yourself so much in moderating them. It seems like you're beating yourself upside the head with the constant spam these forums receive. I've moderated a couple forums in the past and I know how you feel. Being a subject matter expert isn't exactly the most pleasing, but I found that being rude to people (especially when they did their part in trying to find an answer prior to posting) is most definitely uncalled for. After all, forums are meant for discussion.

Take this any way that you want. You've developed a great application but your interfacing with the Rivatuner community in my opinion is not the most pleasant to deal with. My suggestion to you is to appoint several forum moderators, start creating more stickies and take a xanax ;)

9. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Don't close the forum because of moron newbies. There ARE newbies, like myself, who actually search the forum and post constructively, as well as acknowledge the hard work you did on Rivatuner. Don't punish us for their ignorance. You should have another moderator in the forum to help you when you're not here, as obviously you have a life outside of software design.

10. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    No way should it be closed.

I would consider trying to restructure and/or format the stickies in such a manner that the "most" frequently asked "newbie" questions be put into one.

Eg. when you release a new feature in RT there will be without a doubt many questions. Ie shaders. Organize those questions in a stickie dedicated to a "shaders FAQ" stickie. (yes I see that Hilbert did one).

Also in a stickie would be a note on where to find RT's documentation on their own computer. (sad but it's always a repeated answer).

I have ideas and methods that could help aid the forum in minimizing your frustration and I'm sure one of the existing or new mod's would have also.

Take the load off yourself and get some help here. We need you and your brain focusing on the developement and building of RT.

But, if nothing changes that's fine by me too. The software is bigger than my ego.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007

11. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS @ 600 / 900
    The forum should stay. RT is an incredibly powerful tool and such a forum is an ideal place to share ideas, concerns and problems with other users of the program.

That said, the amount of times I see someone called newbie is rather disappointing. Judging someone a newbie by when they joined the forums or their post count is hardly conclusive. I lurk on many forums, often without having an account or not posting. I can often find an adequate solution through looking through stickies or searching. If that doesnt provide me with a solution that I need (or one that works for me), then I post. If I make 5 posts per year, that doesnt make me a newb, that makes me a rare poster.

12. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    ignore them they are nothing.

13. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    In my eyes RT is an engineering tool, it's more than the software alone. To understand it and get the most out of it you have to learn about the internals of the GF/X system -- too much for most people using it. They just want a certain feature to work and w/ the commercial experience the current generation grew up w/ it works that way -- fire a tool up, click a button and there you are. No need for a manual. If it doesn't work, the quickest way to get it working is to ask someone who knows how to operate it..

Keep the forum. But don't try to micromanage it all by yourself. Pick 3 mature co-mods, one from europe and two from the US and let them handle the newbie threads unless you think the newb has a valid point.

14. awesom-o

awesom-o New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 Ti
    I agree with much of the above. Do not close the forum, but rather skip the threads you don't want to or need to answer.
    Replies like "RTFM, newb" does nothing but cause discouragement and a bad mood for the newbie and, i'm sure, for you too.

Rivatuner is a great program, i've used it for years, and this forum is a good place for finding answers and guides.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    first of all, search is useless.
    have you really tried to search for something specific in a forum? say you result in just 20 threads, each averaging 10 posts...thats alot to read without any guarantee that its specific to your need.

some of us have a life, take me for instance, i have roughly 2 hrs after each long work day at the PC, i'm a member of several forums, so how would someone like me beable to WANT to spend the time it takes to search.

second: not everyone visits forums or certain topics regularly. for instance i havnt posted here in a while so i have no clue whats happened since then as far as versions, changes..etc

your aggrevation unwinder is just part of what it takes to do what you do, theres not any software developer that doesnt deal with **lets call them pc illiterates**i also understand you work hard and want to help others and i know it sucks to repeat yourself and frustrating when someone isnt comprehending what you said.
    Are you sure 100% of the problem is these other people your reffering to? mirrors show a picture that answers a thousand questions

with that said it is my opinion that if you can't handle *your job so to speak* then you know where the door is, dont torture yourself and for godsakes dont whine.
    close or dont but make a choice, no one can answer it for you

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    We need infested nexus back to link these newbies to the archives :D

You shouldnt close it, since this app is to damn highly regaurded to cut off right now, if these newbs cant use use the search function (or even google) or understand a post from the software creator then they should clearly get their head examined, since it will be consice (spelling off there...).

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    sorry, i just feel strongly about this search thing, i'll give you and example, in google you can type Rivatuner causes BSOD
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...al&hs=n1n&q=rivatuner+caused+bsod&btnG=Search

do you see all the rubbish that came up on google page after page?
    see thats an example of why some people dont always google everything. i dont think some of you guys get that and are probably being hypocrites by saying such things anway right?

i typed that cause i experienced a bsod after i installed rivatuner on my 64bit vista (i know stupid huh) but google didnt save me, posting here didnt save me...uninstalling it did

18. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Great App, been using with no issues since the 6x00 series (or maybe before - used coolbits for ages forgot when i swapped ;) )

Never had to ask a question, but it would be a shame to close this forum......

That said not everybody is up to speed on RT, or OC'ing in general, and flaming does nobody any good at all on either side. Likewise everyone should read everything before calling the dev for help (in my job a MS call is £175 an 'incident' = damn right you try everything 1st, and i've never paid for a MS call yet in 5 years...)

Is it possible to make the forum read-only for people under a given post count or something???

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I believe this forum should stay open, it is a wealth of information for noobies and overclockers as well. Thank you for your hard work Unwinder , let the noobies be noobies , they will find their own way. Keep it open if you can.

chispy.

20. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro
    I would definitely like to keep this forum open as it contains a wealth of knowledge. If moderating is taking up too much of your time, maybe more moderators would be willing to help so that you can go back to instilling the latest and greatest features in rivatuner. Or just ignore them.

Closing the forum without access to all the info here would make me a sad panda. Very, very sad panda :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.