Diablo III.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MrH, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Guest

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    I haven't checked actually. If I manage to get in again I'll have a look and see what percentage it uses, but right now the DRM is broken again.

2. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Just did a test in the cathedral area and it seems to only use 2 cores and my max total usage over all 4 cores was 38% (it seems very similar to SC2s usage), however unlike SC2 it shouldn't really be a big issue with not using loads of cores.

In SC2 the CPU issues come about when you have loads of units, this never happens in D3.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Ok, thanks for checking

Old/slow quad cores take some punishment in these games that still don't use more than two cores

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    been playing for hours now with my barb! :D

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol cjs007, there is no console version of this.

Anyhoo, not a fan of the previous games, but the GF is of games like this.

What is the likelihood that this will run on a laptop with an i3 and Intel integrated GPU, or should i just try it and see if it catches fire or not lol.

6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    This beta is farr too easy. and apparently the full game will be this difficulty (normal) for the first playthrough. then you get to unlock a harder mode.

Deff. not going to get this game now, not gonna sit through hours of boring **** to start enjoying it.

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    You've played a tiny fraction of the first act, which is basically a tutorial for new players and you've already written it off? I honestly wonder what you expected. Personally I think the difficulty is pretty good where it is now, I've had beta access for a long time now and the beta has improved a lot difficulty wise, the game used to be extremely easy.

8. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    well to me, it's still extremely easy. and if the whole game turns out to be this easy because for some reason i am forced to play on normal for the first playthrough, then yeah im writing it off.

i played the beta, and while it was great and i had some fun. it wore out as i just kept clicking to kill without any worries. and i really don't feel like doing that for the whole game.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You can play on hardcore if you find it too easy in the final release.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Diablo2 was the same way from what I remember. You had normal which after completion allowed the "Nightmare" difficulty followed by the "Hell" difficulty. Act 1 is intended to let you get acquainted with your character through easy quests and fights. If it was as difficult as you seem to desire, they'd have problems convincing casual players to buy the game.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Forgive me if i'm being dumb as i'm full of wine and cider due to watching UFC, but trying to put the beta on my GF's laptop is not going well.

Got it installed, but not able to log in, as in not able to click on the log in button, am i missing something simple due to the late night, or is it an issue.

12. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    You should look into the level progression and how it works.

13. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, having played and completed the Beta already there are several things I like and dislike about this new game. I personally don't have an issue with the always-on DRM but this is largely due to the fact that it's a Blizzard game. They have impeccable server service and are known to support games for a long time. Diablo 2 still gets support, since they are resetting the ladder on May 2nd. Might still even be supporting SC1. I can, however, see why this would be an issue with some people. Back when I got Diablo 2 I was glad that single and multiplayer were separate. Internet was a lot more spotty and slow back then. Not to mention the multiplayer wasn't that great anyway. It would be nice if you could choose to play single player offline or online. Obviously if you play offline you couldn't take that character to multiplayer, but if you chose online then you'd be able to. I think that'd be a nice compromise. Of course, if it's all because they are trying to make sure duped items don't appear in the auction house then I can't say they really had a choice but to make it this way.

Aside from that there are gameplay changes that I hate. First of all I hate that I can't level up attributes manually like in Diablo 2. Though, since items don't seem to require you to have your attributes at a certain level in here it's less of an issue. There are some stats for each class that are largely useless. I played as a Demon Hunter on my first run through and the intelligence attribute is basically useless to that class. Sure, every 10 points ups your resistance by 1, which I'm assuming is percentage based, but it does nothing other than that. Considering the class is all about avoiding damage it makes the attribute even more worthless. I wish that your "off handed" attributes were a little more useful. As such, any magical item I picked up that contained intelligence was immediately tossed into my garbage pile. Hell, even strength is more useful since every point in strength = 1 more armor point.

Another thing I don't like is the skill "tree." This is because it's not even a tree anymore. It's just a linear progression of skills. I can't "level up" in one area more than others. I do like that they added runes to skills though, but I think it might suffer the same fate as the skills. I can't really say since I've only been able to select one rune per skill so far. In general, this is going to limit the amount of ways you can play a champion based on what I've seen so far. Good for the rookie players I guess, but bad for longevity of the game. I could be wrong about this since it's not easy to make a judgement on the long term potential of a game, especially RPGs, within the first few levels of the game. I doubt Blizzard would have just completely overlooked this potential problem but I guess we'll find out when the game has been out a while.

I do like that they added the ability to craft items. Diablo 2 had a similar feature but it functioned very differently. I can't say much more than that since you're very limited on what you can craft in the open beta. This seems to be the best improvement in the game.

There is at least one thing I don't like about the story as well. To prevent spoiling anything for those who haven't played let's just say that they added a character to the backstory for seemingly no reason. It doesn't even make any sense either. I'll just leave it at that. It's more of a minor gripe.

There is also one other gameplay issue that bugs me, and it's a minor one that could easily be fixed. Basically it's that the clickable things, like items, enemies, objects, etc.. didn't have hit boxes large enough. Often times I'd find myself walking toward an enemy/object when I meant to click on them. Playing a ranged character I can see that that's an easy way to get killed on accident. Not much of a problem in the beta since it's ridiculously easy. I honestly never had to use a potion, though I usually did on accident since the default potion button is terrible. Ended up with nearly 40 potions by the time I finished.

The difficulty is one thing I would complain about, since it's insanely easy, but then I also remembered that Act 1 in Diablo 2 was very easy as well. They actually seemed on par difficulty wise from what I can remember. If the rest of the game is as easy I will be sorely disappointed though.

Another thing I noticed is the way chat rooms work in the game. They basically tried to fit a chat room into a Facebook Messenger sized window. If you don't know what I'm talking about just imagine the size of the chat window when you're talking to a friend on Facebook..... now imagine that instead of 1 person it's 50+ people. The window is actually slightly larger than that, but not by much. It's not full screen which sucks. I don't really use chat rooms so it's not a big deal to me, but it does seem like a glaring oversight, unless there is actually some way to make it full-screen or at least enlarge the window. I didn't look into it that much.

The TL;DR of this post is that overall the game has potential but there are some things I wish they had changed/left that would have made the game better.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I thought the same thing too when I first got the beta. Your username is your battle.net login which will be an email address. You have to put in an email address before the login button becomes clickable. Which considering your username will be an email address it actually makes sense. Though, it's confusing if you think you're doing it right even if you're actually not.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Cheers, will try that now

16. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    I'm not saying the game should be harder overall, im just saying that they should allow you to at least choose a higher
    difficulty setting on the first playthrough, and then unlock the higher tier ones.

right now, there's a lot of talk that you can only play it on normal. and if it's like that, im gonna have a tough time
    justifying playing something wich i would deem boring due to no challenge, to only start enjoying it hours upon hours later.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's the thing, it's just talk. No one knows for sure whats going to be in the final release except Blizzard. There were alot of features that were excluded from the beta that will be in the game once it goes live. Minus the PvP.

18. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    By the time you reach Nightmare you'll be around level 30, so I'm not sure why you think it would be a good idea to be able to skip Normal, doing level 30 content at level 1 wouldn't be possible.

19. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It's not just talk, you have to progress through the difficulty levels, it's been said plenty of times, and it's obvious if you understand how the level progression works.

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I wasnt refering to the level progression or difficulty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.