DDR4 RAM Demonstrated at ISSCC available in 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    You DO care! Awww :banana:

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Timeout for you.

Anyone else that has something good to say can join him.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, is there any spec info available yet???

Thank you vbetts, hopefully now this thread can get back on track.

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Right there sir. You nailed it.
    And I'm pretty damn sure they don't need to change sockets every time a new series of CPUs hit the market - but there's less profit in that.

Which is why people like me only upgrade their hardware every 3~ years.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With CPUs as they stand...most of those with Nehalem/Lynnfield processors could easily hold out until Haswell....and possibly the 14nm refresh depending on how software development advances.

6. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    It all come down to how much power is enough for you. I am still rocking a E8600 (Wolfdale) that was released much earlier than Nehalem. At 4.2GHz it is still enough for my 5870.

I'll be upgrading to an Ivy Bridge chip with Nvidia's Kepler. And again that should last me two generations, which means I only buy a new rig once every 4 years. Keeps costs low over a time.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My plans vary with component failures. Current plan is to hold out until Haswell....but, if something worthwhile comes along, it'll be considered.

8. Mangix

Mangix Guest

Prediction: once DDR4 comes out, discrete GPUs will start dying off. I mean dual channel ddr4 bandwidth should be enough to satisfy integrated GPUs. or maybe quad channel dddr4 :).

all of that assumes that ARM doesn't make it into the laptop/desktop space which given that Windows will run on ARM, I find it hard to believe that it will even be that relevant.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Terrible prediction. Memory bandwidth isnt even half the story of a discrete gpu. try putting a GTX 580s core into a cpus die.. aint gonna happen until 2020...

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Memory isn't what's holding integrated graphics back....it's lack of capability. You can't have an iGPU with the performance/capability of a discrete card without having massive thermal issues. Until they can get CPU and high-end GPU's both within a 125watt combined TDP....iGPU's will never replaced dedicated graphics cards.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmmm....not likely imho....:3eyes:

The enthusiast crowd won't like being forced to choose from predetermined CPU/GPU combinations because hey that's what the manufactures decided upon at the time...

Also I can see incremental system upgrades becoming a problem with integrated hardware...lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think it was a ban, not a timeout no =P?

deltatux

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    . . .

14. Mangix

Mangix Guest

i disagree with that. on AMD's APUs, overclocking the memory(ddr3) leads to an almost linear performance improvement in games...bandwidth is definitely holding iGPUs back. I mean GDDR5 has what? 4 times the bandwidth?

enthusiasts are...special. no way an iGPU will ever match something like a 580. maybe in 10 years if as I said...there's even a point in it considering everything's going mobile.

15. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Does faster RAM require a new notch and slot design?
    The recent Kingston OC record was at 3,600mhz with 2500mhz modules. Couldn't they just make higher speed modules that fit in the current DDR3 slot, or does it have to do with the memory controller or is it just business?

Off topic, but how much does it cost to fabricate RAM? I've always wondered. When I worked at an electronics store, the store only makes a few bucks from them.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Faster memory doesn't require a different design, but the RAM has to be compatible with the memory controller.....

DDR3 ram for example isn't just faster than DDR2 the way data is transmitted is slightly different between the two, so new ram won't work with an older memory controller.
    DDR3 can send/receive more data per pulse compared to DDR2...some crap like that anyway.

Don't know the exact details but yeah you get the idea I'm sure...

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD's iGPU has the performance of a mainstream card, whereas Intel's has the performance of an entry-level card. For overclocking the memory to provide an "almost linear performance improvement", AMD would have to be understating their iGPU.....which would mean at least a mid-range GPU and not a mainstream GPU. So, any sources to prove this "almost linear performance improvement"?

18. Mangix

Mangix Guest

http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C...-Review-Can-AMD-compete-Sandy-Bridge/Memory-S

edit: forgot to mention. the current sandy bridge processors have terrible iGPUs so it doesn't help there. hopefully with Ivy Bridge we will see something more similar to AMD's APUs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012