Cyberpunk 2077 NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti's selling at Auction for $4250

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A little ironic to bring up value, wouldn't you say? Yes, clearly this is worth over $4000 to someone. Value in this context is subjective. It is of the opinion of the bidders that this product is worth the money. The people you're calling narrow-minded, in their opinion, think it isn't worth paying $4000+ for a different box and a decaled heatsink. I would argue it is narrow-minded to not be understanding of both sides.
    That being said, I understand why someone finds this product collectable, and collectors are willing to spend extra for something that is rare. Doesn't change the fact that they're burning money on something with no real additional value. It's not even one-of-a-kind, and we don't even know if Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a good game. It's probably going to be a good game, but we're getting hyped over something we've never experienced ourselves.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I called them narrow minded because clearly, they can't see that there's people out there who will buy this, because they'll want this and $4k is nothing to them. They all focused on "it's overpriced, not worth it, etc" completely ignoring those people who will buy this.

Gandul likes this.
  3. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    my dad says both are idiots...

Undying and G*addict like this.
  4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    as for jp-people, it more to mindset
    simply people feel nothing wrong to spend money on what they like, and not think much the actual value
    thus people just enjoy spending tons on money on social-game-gatcha
    they feel the "satisfactions" getting what they want is well worth the money... well its their money

as for limited-goods... in reality, there are tons seconds-hand store in japan, which most of time u can get those limited-stuff anytime as long u have money
    and many people also see them as "investment" ... keeping limited items to re-sell it at later point and make some profit ... thats why u see lots of those such in amazon marketplace or online auctions

if we speak about collector items, it not much different to rest of world
    it actually really similar to luxury-brand-goods imo... that actual "value" is not make sense...
    but for those personal, those can create satisfaction, pride, status etc.
    such as watches, why buy rolex ? now if smartwatch now can provide much more function ?
    what for buy 300euro YSaintLaurent t-shirt if we can get 13euro uniqlo t-shirt ?

so for this .... well for $4k its well above the standard price... but if we compare to
    mtg single card sold at $166k (https://hypebeast.com/2019/3/magic-the-gathering-black-lotus-166k-sale) ... that for just a piece printed-cardboard... well yeah

5. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    This is just stupid

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    A fool and his money...

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Anything rare is worth something to someone no matter how dumb it is to others. Think comic books, baseball cards, beanie babies, pokemon cards, star wars toys, etc.... Even old McDonalds toys sell for a ridiculous amount of money. Nothing has a value if nobody wants it

Maddness and Gandul like this.
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    And here I am still just wishing the prices of high end video cards didn't range from stupid to retarded. Hey for any of you buying a $4K Cyberpunk 2080 Ti, I'll take that regular 2080 Ti you were going to throw out. You're welcome.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Given that the last few bidders had low feedback score and the winner on has a fb score of 6.... it wouldn't surprise me if that gets relisted pretty soon due to retracted bid

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nobody will be buying this for it's performance/dollar.

Maddness and Gandul like this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was thinking this without knowing who had placed bids lol.
    I reckon they are people with fake accounts he knows, or has paid, to make it look like there is interest.
    Or himself over VPN / remote PC.

At that price it might make its value again in 80 or 100 years :D
    Assuming he finds a sucker to buy it.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So for that price you could buy, a standard 2080Ti and then pay an artist to actually custom paint a Cyberpunk themed image / graphic on to the back plate of the card and then have something truly one off and unique.

My question is why?

It's never going to be worth that amount of cash in the future as a collectors item. If you're building a Cyberpunk themed computer then chances are you're doing enough custom work on the rig to make the theme that you aren't going to need a themed card, you could just do the theming yourself. If you're using the card for gameplay, why not just buy a standard card it'll be worth just as much when you're done with it anyway and if it's for bragging right... um no just no.

I mean if you can get someone stupid enough to pay that amount then good luck to you.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I bet you Nvidia looks at this and is like... ohhhh?

Then releases a $5000 card.

jbscotchman, Keno34 and Maddness like this.
  14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Main thing that sucks about this...... if i were lucky as f*ck enough to actually win one..... I'd have at least USED the freakin thing, not immediately hawked it on eBay for insta-profit. Granted..... $5k is a nice profit....

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I've been hearing about this game for at least a year now. I bet if they would have spent their marketing budget into the actual game development it would have came out and had some DLC already.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Only a year?

The marketing campaign started in 2013 with this video.

jbscotchman and Maddness like this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sure are a lot of people shaming others for what's going to most likely be put in a collection and not used.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ... I think that's somewhat more shameful. It's not like it'll ever have much resale value as a collector's item after it's obsolete as far as GPU power goes. To just hold onto something originally meant exclusively for function (and never using it for function), that's not really closely related to a franchise at all, as a collector's item and nothing more... that takes "more money than common sense" level money IMO. I was originally going to call it "F U money" but that's more like "shooting yourself in the dick and not suffering normal consequences money".

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Don't give em any ideas!

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    True. Everybody has different hobbies, collectibles, etc. Me personally, I like stuff from Miller High Life.

vbetts likes this.