Creating BIOS HEX Editing guide 280X and newer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Feb 22, 2016.

1. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    So anyone have gotten that their card had HW locked SPs on CUinfo but you got to unlock some? on R9 FURY Nitro OC+

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Maby ;)
    Yes IMO It's possible, knowing the 'nature of truth' of Info software :D

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nothing prevents you from trying to flash even if it reports as HW locked but Nitro is generally not moddable although some earlier models of it were software locked and could be altered though if it reports as a HW lock chances are the cores are going to remain unchanged after flashing the bios. :)

HBM isn't doing much either on the newer GPU drivers going by discussions on that, driver seems to be locking down things a bit even if you can modify it directly in the bios.

Nitro also allows for exceeding the 1.3v GPU core voltage cap without any workarounds and the Wattman voltage adjustment will also cap to above 1.250 which is what the other Fury GPU's lock too (1.268 or some such I think is where it caps instead in software.) but in all honesty the framerate gain is pretty low so you might want to try undervolting instead and the default clock speed of 1050Mhz isn't bad, though a few models can do 1100 Mhz without core voltage tuning and some can do it even when undervolted so it all depends on the GPU and it's overall quality or how it's called.

Think the voltage goes into that too, AMD sets the low-power state to 0.9v and then the value for each other power state is auto calculated from the GPU so each card varies a bit in how much it will need though I guess they're all pretty close to one another for the default core values since AMD tends to go for a higher value by default, which is also why some of the better silicon Fury models allow for such a hefty undervolt and remain perfectly stable or that's my understanding of it. :)

Same for Vega which is also running at a high base voltage and also pretty high clock speeds, '64 model in particular and the water version especially though if you can keep it cooled down then re-purposing the bios for the slightly tuned down '56 has shown nice gains since similar to the Fury and it's Fiji architecture the core count doesn't impact framerate by all that much so the '56 can compete pretty well with the '64 once the bios is no longer restricting things as much. :D

But to get back to Fury then even 2 - 4% gains is something in gaming and benchmarks will probably see better figures, just don't expect too much from unlocking the cores even if you were to succeed with a full 4096 restoration. :)
    (But it might stack up with a core clock increase to a bit better although again it's not going to make any major changes but every bit helps I suppose and a dual bios on these GPU's makes it trivial to restore the defaults if something does happen so back up the onboard bios and then it's not too difficult to flash and see how it worked.)

EDIT: Oh and the Fury and Fury X and Nano have a very varied ASIC reported quality in GPU-Z, my own card reports as a 52% which is better than 2% of all other registered cards so pretty poor but it's not too uncommon with ASIC around the low to mid 50%'s though 60+ is mainly for the higher-end Fury X GPU's and the really good cores tend to be in the more demanding Nano models.

Also a lower ASIC doesn't automatically means it's a poor quality GPU.
    (There's various factors, voltage, leakage and well there's a bit more to it.)

4. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    how could i know?

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    MOD the BIOS and Play Games :D
    I will never go back to Default.

My ASIC is 66% and i can play games with average of 50deg. & 120tW (BF1 DX11 Ultra w/Chill 50-70 and CAP 70FPS)
    Note.
    I've got IiYama 1440p 70Hz 10Bit FreeSync IPS 3ms Monitor on DP -> I can't OC my monitor much becuse of DP 1.2 bandtwidth.
    I've play Games on my Old CRT 22" 1920:1440 on 75Hz/85Hz and i can't tell a difference between 70.1 vs 75 vs 85 in BF1/BF4 -> I need OLED 1ns 4k 120Hz :D
    BF4 SkillAz = 420 up to ~600pts solo (Yes it's Top Player Skill)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here (look at 1st Post)
    Links should work NP.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  8. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No it's my Moded tMOD -> and it has 600MHz Strap.
    Everything is fine.
    Im using this one now.

z8373767 likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

11. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    @OnnA. Cheers for the bios. Using your bios versions for some time now on my Saphire Fury Nitro. Which of the "Neo" variants do you recommand? 600strap, BL4 or BL2? Cheers in advance :)

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    alatariell likes this.
  13. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Cheers m8, much appreciated! Gonna flash it tomorrow. Had to make a Windows 10 build 1709 PE USB stick since Win 10 1803 broke winflash tools :S

z8373767 likes this.
  14. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    That's why i can't flash vbios in windows! Thanks for clue.

15. Spartacuss

Spartacuss Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    Hello guys, i have a gpu msi r9 280x and i cant increase the voltage more them +100mv its locked

I already try alot of bios editor whit no luck.

Hawai /Polaris / FiJi / VBE7.0.0.7b

Can you help me?

My bios: https://mega.nz/#!I5sxRDyK!Dl27VhMwNmMNYxKUDJWPSW_KQOoWG7KO-bZWdCOoal8

I try some gigabyte mod vbios, not compatible, i dont know what to try more [​IMG]

PS: Sorry for my english compadre [​IMG]

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Just set you desire V in BIOS and save (VBE7.0.0.7b will do)
    :p Max sugested by me for 280X is 1.212 or 1.218v

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here (it's not Pined so it goes down in time)

19. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Any Polaris 20 bios editor that actually is simple to use and works ? I want to write my "final" voltages and clocks so I don't have to worry about software for settings these things up.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

https://github.com/caa82437/PolarisBiosEditor

bernek likes this.