Catalyst 12.6 beta kills video playback on WMP?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mahogany, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mahogany

mahogany Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3600
    Hi,

I recently upgraded my Catalyst package to 12.6 beta (only the beta offers support for legacy cards, and I use Radeon HD3600, so had to go with beta). Some time after this upgrade, I tried using WMP to watch videos over the web and locally on my computer, and noticed the following:
    • Videos start playing, but only audio comes through
    • Instead of video, WMP displays a visualizaiton or a static thumbnail picture
    • Trying to play WMW videos gives an alert about possibly missing a codec (you would think that WMW codecs are present by default)
    • At the same time playing videos via e.g. QuickTime works normally.

Uninstalling 12.6 beta would cure the problem without touching codecs. Re-installing would re-create the problem. Uninstalling, and then installing Catalyst 12.4 also works, and is what I'm using now.

Has anybody else come across this or found a solution to make 12.6 beta work with videos in WMP? (Win7, 64 bit)

2. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Install k-lite codec pack. (wmp codecs are not that good, plus it doesnt have a lot )

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lenne the problem is with the driver .. if he uninstalls it everything works fine :-/

4. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    4090 watercooled
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4357998#post4357998

seems to be issue with drivers and media codecs. Don't have legacy card to test.

As a side note someone actually uses wmv and mediaplayer. Had to search sample videos that come with windows to find wmv file to test it works with non-legacy cards :p