Can you measure if a CPU was used before?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by 386SX, Jul 4, 2022.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi all.

I searched through ebay and found some CPU which is declared as used, but in the description it says the CPU is brand new and was extracted from a new system and exchanged for some higher model.

Can you somehow track that or measure some value or whatever to see if that statement is true? Is it possible to see if a CPU was in use before? Or could that guy (in theory) offer a CPU used for some years in a 24/7 scenario and I won't notice?

CPU in question is an i9 10900x for about 300 Euros.

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    ... so no option for a CPU which has been put into the socket but "wasn't used at all" (regarding the statement of the seller).

But thanks anyway. ;)

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    honestly I doubt there would be any physical or functional difference between a 'brandnew' cpu and one that has been sitting in a server at 100% load for 3 years. I have an e5450 that In an older machine that I bought off ebay in 2016 , at that point already 9 years old pulled from a server, and I've been running it overclocked since, and it has yet to degrade in any noticeable way, even at ~1.45v (vid for this chip is 1.0-1.2v), and its not exactly being run under ideal conditions either, regularly exceeds 80c , well above the rated 70c that these chips are rated for.

Airbud and 386SX like this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No, I cannot see there being a method to know if a CPU has been simply used before.
    Without any wear characteristics to differentiate it from the expected behaviour of a new CPU, there is nothing to go on.

Worse, this CPU has already been in a system so has marks on the pins already.
    The "new" definition doesnt fit.

As usual with Ebay items, unless you are happy with what you most likely expect to get, dont bid on it.
    Ask questions through Ebay so you are covered for those at least.

Airbud and 386SX like this.

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Strictly speaking if the cpu has been fitted in a system...it has been used regardless of whether it has been powered on, does the listing state that the item has been tested and found to be fully working, without seeing the actual listing its difficult to give a concrete opinion, even if the seller says "returns not accepted" you have you right to open a dispute if you are not happy with the item so long as you do it in a reasonable time frame, paying through paypal also helps the case work in your favor as paypal are pretty quick to remove funds from a sellers account in curtain situations.

At the end of the day if you want more info about the item...ask the seller, if they dont reply within 2-3 days...look else where, if you dont get the info you want....look else where.

If the item is from an OEM build its likely it wont be boxed which usually comes with a different warrantee, if the actual cpu is not pictured...you can ask for it.

Seller feedback... if i buy from a new seller...I always check there seller feedback, Its not unusual to see 1 or 2 neg comments over 12 months but if there are 10 over 6 months I`d read each comment, neg comments get left even if there was an issue with postage which is really out of the sellers hands and tbh is unfair on the seller.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Guys ... thanks a lot for your feedback, but it is NOT about ebay!

I just wanted to know if it is possible to detect if a CPU was used (and probably how long) by tools or other means.

Just like CrystalDisk shows OP hours and how often a drive was powercycled.

It seems there is no way to accomplish that.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The Intel Management Engine built into every Intel CPU no doubt logs way more than that, we dont have access to it though.
    This may interest you:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hidden-in-chip-operating-system/

Airbud, pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Or ANB...

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That's what I asked myself way before. Does the CPU has some kind of self assessment to count the power cycles, hours or some time frame to know its age?
    I was afraid to ask, glad that someone actually did it!

386SX likes this.
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    In case you didnt realise, you're still using your CPU!

Kiriakos-GR likes this.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    good topic!.... in my experience the CPU has been the most dependable part of a computer....(never had one go bad)

I would buy it if that's what you want.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    inspect the chip for scuffs and goop residue.

386SX likes this.
  14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    The article is sold already (not me), but here, just for reference:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/275354934077

It says "Processeur 10900X neuf retiré d'une machine neuve et remplacé par un 10980X." which means new 10900x CPU taken from a new computer, replaced by some 10980x.

The writing on the CPU looks too scratched for that to be true if you ask me. But could be lights and stuff, so I wasn't sure ...

15. I've had a 3800X die which was always run at stock on a high end mobo and with good cooling. Definitely rare to happen though.

That definitely looks used to me and not taken from a new computer. For the BS alone I'd avoid it.

386SX likes this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It`s not like it could be used "24/7" for mining. And IIRC it was introduced in 2019.
    Heavy usage could be in server, but who would use 10980X and not Xeons in server?

386SX and Airbud like this.