Battlefield 3 (Official Thread) Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    This last patch really screwed the game up. All my good servers are now laggy as hell. Screwed up game plus the hackers make for a lot of fun.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    it's rubbish because it has nothing to do with ethics

and it's not an exploitation of stupid customers

Dice decided to make a game where unlocks are required, that is up to them to decided that

Could they have added an option within the game that unlocked everything? sure, but then everyone would do that as there would be no reason not to do so and it'd be pointless to even add unlocks to the game

So how do you fix this? How do you require unlocks as a gameplay feature, not destroy that feature by making it irrelevant, but also give your customers the ability to have fun with the game if they have no time to unlock everything?

You put it out there available to purchase, you make your customers decide if it's worth it to them to spend extra money to not have to unlock, there's really no other way to get around this, if you don't have money standing in the way from you just pressing a button and poof everything is there, then what then? what replaces it? what will make someone seriously think about if they want to do something, the negatives to doing so, and the positives to not doing so, that would prevent most people from doing so and not make unlocks pointless?

Could they have simply not released this and forced everyone to unlock everything? Sure, would you guys that logically make no sense be happy? sure

Guess what, you're not everyone, and what makes you happy is selfish, as all your happiness is doing is preventing an option to make others happy that doesn't affect you

This doesn't affect gameplay, it won't affect gameplay, it won't affect you, it's as simple as that

And please do not reply to my post stating "well they could just have never had unlocks to begin with", that is not what i am posting about, and is irrelevant to the topic, fact is they didn't do that so it doesn't matter, personally, i'm glad they didn't do that, i like unlocking things, it gives me more time to become bored with the game, though Battlefield games rarely get boring for me, doesn't mean they can't, so i'm glad for this, but regardless, my post is not about should they just get rid of unlocks, it's about unlocks are here, not everyone has the time to unlock, how is this fixable without destroying and making unlocks irrelevant?'

Except for the fact that there's no exploitation involved

I'll give an example

You buy a hotdog, it costs you $1.00, it's simply a bun with a hot dog in it, nothing else

You go home, with that hotdog, and you have a garden, gardens take time, but hey, now you have extra stuff to put on it, that time has given you pickles and etc. to put on your hotdog

But wait? what if you don't have that kind of time or desire to have garden? where do you get the extras?

the hotdog guy had extras? for 25 cents extra? oh man! he must be exploiting his customers!

I mean, he's providing the customers with extra opportunities that cost extra to have that are not required and you could do yourself if you have the time to do it, so therefore, he's exploiting his customers, yes?

right........

obviously this is a very simple example, but it basically is the exact same thing, all they are doing is giving you options that if you do not have the time to do something you can instead pay for it and not invest the time, there no exploiting going on there

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Apart from lots of other things it's unethical as long as they keep resetting the stats of "normal" boosters and padders. Pretty simple actually.
    Boosting with money is fine, boosting with time isn't? Doesn't work out for me.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Update your punkbuster for BF3

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Getting unlocks fairly = fair

Buying unlocks = fair

Boosting servers = exploiting the game

Personally, i'm ok with this as boosting servers are an exploitation, they make unlocks pointless, buying unlocks does not make unlocks pointless as they are a significant decision to make when buying the unlocks, there is no significant decision to make when joining a boosting server

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I was playing every night but since the patch I cant play it anymore.

I dont like the recent changes at all; the gameplay feels different with all the supression, godlike jets and chopper rape...haha. For some reason with this patch, maps feel smaller in the sense that vehicles are in every corner. I dont complain about vehicles, I complain about the maps size.

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @aura: I don't see your point there? Trying to "prove" something without an explanation or anything else won't work.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I was playing a game before and i was kill by the admin? When i checked there were no admins online for that server...

8. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Who boosts to get unlocks? I have never ever have seen anyone doing that (outside of Metro farming which is a form of boosting that's allowed lol).

All the boosters that had their stats reset were boosting stats. You can't buy stats so I don't see the connection you are drawing here. Even if they actually sold stats, how does that make things unethical? They are simply applying the control they have over their gaming service to promote a product they want to sell. It would be a terrible product, but that doesn't mean it's unethical.

Also what is "lots of other things"? This DLC simply has nothing to do with ethics. Nobody was scammed. Nobody was coerced. It's not targeted towards mentally incompetent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...i don't understand what you're talking about, everything i said was pretty straight forward

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Finally got some time in with the new update..

Overall the game feels a bit more polished now, I really like how the jets handle.

Tanks are a bit weaker, and the repair tool is way slower with repairing.. Basically means if your taking damage you are going to have a very hard time fixing that tank under fire, I can see why they did this, Example = tank sitting in tunnel on Demavand Peak firing out at people trying to come into tunnel and that tank is basically unkillable, that sort of situation where repair guys sit on it's ass with the repair tool..

I was in a tank and I could see the red laser pointing at me from a heli targeting me, Actually made me go omg omg omg he is looking at me run away run away..

Heli TV missile fired onto tank that has full heath + reactive armor = tank explodes with 1 missile and you are dead *if you are in the tank*, I did not enjoy this.

I was flying a helicopter and I was hit by something but didn't take damage.. it made the loudest metal crunching sound it scared the crap out of me, I was high up so it wasn't like I was hitting a pole or something like that.

I went vertilcle in an SU35 and I went too high so it did that stall thing, but I didn't fall back down I just stayed up there... I just slowly driffted accross the map verticle and stuck in a stall, I couldn't make it turn or roll.. controls were unresponsive..

I'm Liking some of the weapon changes, I've only played with a few.. the P90, the bullets flying out look different.

Snipers feel different.. The bullets flying out are different.

---

Please enough of the arguing about buying weapon and vehicle unlocks being regarded as exploitation, it's starting to become an argument for the sake of argument.

They are there for whoever chooses to purchase those digital tools for a digital world, it is up to them and them only, they are not being forced to buy those things, they are there for a reason, they are just weapons and vehicle unlocks.

Buying tools does not = stat padding.

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @gaizo: It's pretty easy actually. Servers that start with 1 player, rush mode, attacker side? You'll have all the kit unlocks you'd want without "harming" anyone. It's not exactly fair but I don't see how it's worse than paying for the same outcome.
    Stuff like this, or two people together in one server boosting all other things, will be reset by Dice/EA as far as I know. Right? So that's what I'd call unethical. Something wrong doesn't get better if you pay for it.

@aura: Without any argument, yes. So basically you're just blabbering around.

@kissshot: Thinks like that got EA their title of being the worst company in the US. It's not important overall but to me it seems important for this game. It almost gives me the impression that they're actively trying to kill it at all cost.

12. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
  13. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    I want a hotdog :p

14. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Except boosting was never unethical to begin with. EA resetting stats of boosters has nothing to do with ethics, unless you think EA's policy to be the definition of what is ethical.

And yes it's "easy" to unlock stuff the way you described by going into empty server, but what I was saying was it's all pure theory craft. Nobody (or more accurately, the number of people who would do this is insubstantial) goes into empty rush server to unlock all kits because how slow it is. The second example yeah people do that but they don't do it to get new kits/accessory. They do that to boost stats for extremely high accuracy and k/d ratio.

Even if majority of players wanted to boost to get unlocks, it wouldn't weaken my argument at all because my point is that this has nothing to do with ethics. This DLC is a business proposition made by EA. For a business proposition to be unethical, either the content of the deal is unethical (contract for slave labor, arms deal to support genocide, etc.), there is substantial imbalance in bargaining power (minor consumers, monopoly, etc.) that is being abused, or at least one of the parties involved is being deceitful.

You are trying to say boosting to unlock is unethical so paying for unlocks is unethical... Two main problems. One, is that the method of acquisition matters in ethics. Extreme example to demonstrate is that stealing a car to drive it would be unethical, while buying a car to drive it wouldn't be. Stat boosting isn't stealing, but this is just to show you that method of acquisition does matter. Secondly, boosting for unlocks is not unethical. Going into a server alone or with couple of buddies to exploit the game to get unlocks violates no ethical code because getting unlocks is purely recreational with no further consequences. You are not harassing anyone with this behavior (this is why hacking in multiplayer could be unethical because you are essentially harassing others). If unlocks in BF3 were substantial enough to overhaul gameplay elements then you may pursue this argument of harassment, but BF3 unlocks are almost purely cosmetics with the exception of vehicles.

15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Ok, Can someone please help me figure this out. I have never been able to play BF3 full screen only a few times ever since its release.

I've tried everything to get this game to load in Full screen and it just wont work. I've Alt-Tabbed, I closed teamviewer processes, I've tried to switch it with the in game setting. Nothing works. Everyonce in awhile the game loads full screen but as of lately it refuses too now.

I've searched all over EAs forums for an answer and all I get is Hit Alt-Tabb, or close teamviewer.

Done all that nothing works. Could someone please tell me how they figured this out. The game plays but it sucks at reduced fps and an ugly stuttering mess with a boarder around it.

When I did have it load in full screen it plays rock solid. My rig is in my sig, I know its not crossfire causing it because I had the same problem before I got my second 5870. I run @1920x1080 with everything on ultra expect AA on x2. Runs perfect other than when it gets stuck in windowed mode.

16. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    alt+enter ?

17. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Thats what I ment to write not alt-tab. And no it doesnt work. It only full screens the window, but then the game locks at 15fps.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I Killed someone with the Mav and the Mav didn't die.. I kept flying.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    @rogue221979

Have you done a clean installation of windows?

"Realmware BF3 Settings Editor" will let you change video settings outside of the game.

You can also do some tweaks like turn off DirectX11 and DX Deferred CS Path.

You can also limit your framerate, I've limited mine to *60*, due to my screen refresh rate and verticle sync.

Are your video cards overclocked? have you tried lowering your clocks? Are your video cards factory overclocked? have you tried lowering them to the original 5870 referance clocks?

Have you tried a different videocard/cards?

What Driver versions have you tried for your videocards?

What operating system are you running? I'm guessing 7, have you tried it in Vista?

Or, if your in Vista try it in 7.

20. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.