ATI Catalystâ„¢ 8.12 Display Drivers officially out

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BitStream, Dec 10, 2008.

1. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Good news, I downloaded the 8.12 drivers from Diamondmm website, which is the brand of the two 3870 I have, I installed them OVER the DNA 8.11 and everything works great after the reboot. No error in Device manager, crossfire was disabled after the install and had to reboot to enable it agian. So people who are having trouble with crossfire, download the drivers from your brand of card and see if those work just like mine did. Also, if that doesn't work, try disabling crossfire before you install again.

Edit: Okay, thats strange, on the reboot it showed crossfire was working, then all of a sudden few minutes later it disappeared. urgh!!

Edit2: Well once I install them, device manager says the graphics card is working properly. I see crossfire in CCC but I can't enable it. If I reboot, I believe I will get the code 43 again on second gpu. I'm going to install an older CCC to see something.

Edit3: I uninstalled the 8.12 CCC left the display drivers, installed the 8.11 CCC, rebooted and got no errors in device manager. Going to enable crossfire in CCC right now lets see if this will disable my second gpu and give me code 43.................I heard the normal da da noise, once screen got back it disabled my GPU and got code 43. SOOOOOOOOOOO... Doesn't look like these 8.12 drivers like being crossfired.

So now, I'm back to DNA 8.11 w/ no CCC , using ATT instead.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    LMAO dude ati totally kept there horse power under driver control an unleashed the beast to compete!

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Kind of lame if you ask me, they should have come out with the top performance possible rather than waiting.

4. zodden

zodden Guest

I installed these via the driver cleaner method and had no issues. I noticed that the xfire logo thing finally works with the 4870x2. I have no xfire problems with 8.12, P45 chipset, Vista 64.

No problems so far, tested with Fallout 3 only for about 4 hours. I didn't notice any difference from 8.11, but I didn't have any performance issues with 8.11 and fallout either.

5. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Decided to upgrade to the 8.12 official and there is no problems at all, xfire working great.

6. Auvers

Auvers Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    anybody having a problem with BF2 with .12 ? I am getting a black shadow on the ground over medium distances within the game.

7. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic HD3870 512

ur doin it rong

You must express uninstall all ATI software. Once done you must uninstall the display adapter from device manager and then reboot. You should then enter safe mode and use driver sweeper to clear any remaining ATI files. Before rebooting you should delete all ATI folders from C:. Once back into Windows you should let it reinstall the generic vga adapter and THEN you should install the 8.12 package.

You do not install drivers over others. Especially when the previous install consists of tweaked drivers and not vanilla.

8. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    at0msk I've done that already. I do that whenever a new driver version is out. The thing is, after I reboot from safemode after cleaning. The vga adapter driver gives me a code 10 (doesn't start). It never done this before. It only started doing that after trying to clean install RC3. I tried clean install, I tried over install. 8.11 installs perfect, 8.12 doesn't.. Like I said before, both adapters in device manager looked fine when I installed 8.12 without CF enabled, no errors etc... Once I turn CF on, second adapter gives me code 43.

9. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    How can you install it without CF enabled? I thought you could only enable or disable cf only AFTER installation?

10. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    When I got 8.11 installed CF is on. I install 8.12 Display driver only, screen goes black for a second or two, i hear the DA DA, noise twice for the 2 cards i got, screen comes back I go to CCC i see the CF option in there but its disabled, if I check the box and click apply nothing happens. My device manager shows the 1/12/08 driver date for both cards, no errors. If I want to attempt to enable crossfire, I MUST reboot. On reboot CF doesn't enable automatically, so I launch CCC I still see the CF option, check the box click apply, screen goes black I hear DA DA(it's normal, it suppose to enable the other GPU) then Code 43 on my second card and CF option is gone.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Code 43 fix.

Backup all your data and reinstall your operating system
    Install chipset Drivers, reboot
    Install Framework 3.5 then 3.5 Sp1, reboot
    Install latest Direct X
    Go to windows Update and Install everything apart from languages packs (unless you need a one), reboot

Finally install 8.12s, and once rebooted, both GPU's should now be working.

12. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Why we have to reformat just to install 8.12? If 8.11 installs and works fine, then why do we have to do that BS to install 8.12? And just cause it works for 1 or 2 people doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. Some people on game.amd forums said they did that but didn't fix the problem.

13. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    exactly.

14. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Installed over 8.11, works like a charm.

15. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well tested nfs carbon and it played very well so still no problems with these drivers.

16. fille007

fille007 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati 5970
    today in the morning,i reinstalled vista 64,then i installed 8.12,and no cf,so problem is with some brands,maybe bios problem vga,but i think driver problem,with 8.10 no probs,installed and cf working without a problem,so what more evidence there must be???
    its 8.12 in combination with some brand that gives problem,i'm running 2x asus 4870

17. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I disabled crossfire for an older game, when i tried to re-enable it i got the error 43.

After 2 hours of messing around, i could not for the life of me get the cards working.

Had to reinstall Windows, pretty pissed off about it as well. Makes me wonder if these drivers are tested by the PG Tips monkeys.

18. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    What brands do you have who get error 43 in device manager?
    Mine is Sapphire.
    I also created a support ticket at Sapphire, though no answer yet.

19. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    both my cards are HIS 4870X2's

20. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    This reminds me of windows 98 when you had to install drivers an exact way and the order would be different depending on the hardware. Also in windows 98 installing a USB device was real tricky and most had different methods, some the drivers had to be manualy installed some you had to run the program first.
    Anyway as I mentioned in an earlier post every update I've tried (everyone since release) the installs failed. A few of the times I reverted back to the working drivers I had been using, and even that was a fight.
    Yesterday against my better judgement I tried to go from 8.10 to 8.12, and just like every other driver change, the install program blue screened just after the installing of the driver for the second card. Apon restart it blue screened again, a second restart made it but the second card had been shut down by windows due to a reported problem.
    At that point I performed these steps,
    1. Uninstalled the driver from device manager, I use have vista and I checked the box "delete driver software" box
    2. Ran Regedit, deleted both of ATI's folders under "local machine/software"
    3. Deleted the two ATI folders in "Program files"
    4. Restarted
    5. Manualy installed video drivers
    6. Restarted

At this point device manager showed the main card only disabled, but the second card still reporting a problem. So I selected enable on the first card and restarted.
    Bang! both cards showed up normal. I then installed CCC, and everything works perfect.

The 8.12 drivers run games much better, nice.

I only post this because I think a minor issue is holding up the installs on some machines, but there seems to be a work around because I've done it a few times.
    Maybe we can find a common work around.

Thanks
    Bretware