ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II - artifacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grom88, Apr 10, 2013.

1. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    I know there is a lot of topics like that and i am reluctant to make another one. I have been however searching for information and trying different things for a few days now and would need some help.

A week ago I bought a new pc with following spec:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3,4GHz
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    RAM: 16GB 1866MHz CL9 Corsair Ballistix Elite
    MOBO: GigaByte Z77x-UD5H
    Power supply: Cooler Master GX 750W Gamer Extreme

The thing runs fine except for distorted, oversized polygons I get in few games and benchmarks.

Here is the video of a problem, shot in Heaven Benchmark 4.0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-_EpKV2Yg

I have suspected VRAM right away and so ran the MemtestG80 and MemtestCL. I ran them both for several hours without an error! I have also ran the folowing tests without an error: 3DMark03, MSI Afterburner - Kombustor, ATITools artifact tool, OCCT artifact finder.

The games in which I encountered theese artifacts were Battlefield 3, Bioshock infinity and only small occurences in Guild Wars 2 and Eve Online. The best way to reproduce them tho, is running Heaven Benchmark 4.0 for about 10 minutes on ultra settings, 1080p.

I have tried different drivers: 314.22, 314.21 and 314.14 with which the movie was also shot and the results were all the same.

I have first suspected its the temperature, although it never goes above 60-62°C. I have tried speeding the fans manualy and lowering the temp to about 50 but that did not remove artifacts, which only went away when the game/benchmark was restarted. I have also tried lowering the memory/gpu clock by about 100-150, but that didnt remove the artifacts either.

I am at a complete loss what to do here and am willing to try anything. The reason i didnt yet go for RMA is because I dont want to be without the use of my PC for several weeks, especially if there is a possibility there is something wrong I could fix myself. I also dont have easy access to a computer that would be able to support this GPU properly, although I know information from it would be useful.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    looks like the gpu is borked to me

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^ yeah that looks like a borked GPU is it overclocked past stock?

4. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Open the gpu and see if something start burn melt there
    Happend to my 460 fan controler chip melted

5. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    Card is not overclocked, everything is stock. @Yosef, id rather not tear it apart on the offchance something burned. Might be harder to RMA it then. Also both fans work properly, so it cant be fan controler.

Why I am hesitant to put a cross on it, is because theese vram tests and artificial artifact finders all pass without an error...

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    After building your rig, did you clean install windows? mobo & intel drivers installed?

7. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    The company who asembled all the parts also installed Windows and all the drivers, so I suppose they did it properly. I havent tried reinstalling it though. I would try it, but the rig doesnt have DVD drive yet, so I would have to go around installing it from CD that came with it.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    If it's a pre-build then best get in touch before anything with the seller. Surely pre-builds get tested before sending out no?

9. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    Well, its custom built, but the seller has allowed me to open it and do what I want. I have tried reseating the card and reseating the system RAMs.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Well perhaps the windows /drivers /programs weren't installed correct, you could always try.
    and when this happens what temperature is your card at?
    use 'MSI Afterburner' program to find out, it's free.

11. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    The temperature on the card never exceeded ~62°C, what I believe is still well in the operating limit. On the video I posted on youtube, there is also temp reading seen in the upper right corner and is about 57 most of the time. I have tried manualy cooling it down, when the artifacting started, with speeding up the fans in Afterburner. The artifacts however did not go away so I am led to believe it is not temperature related, altho artifacting never started befor the gpu started approaching the 60s (which could just as well be time, not temperature related).

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    You can try re-installing windows and everything else to see if that fixes it (best completely wiping drive first, (zeroing it), if that doesn't fix it then you gotta send it back.
    If it were me i'd be on the phone.

13. grom88

grom88 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DC2O - 2GD5
    Will probably go with clean install of windows and drivers on the second ssd and see how that goes. I still wonder tho, what could be physically wrong with the card. I mean, this kind of artifacts is usually atributed to bad VRAM and all the vram test I did yielded no errors...

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Like TK said in the first response you got, it does look like a borked card, i seen vids like these from borked ones.
    All you can hope for is helpful support from your place of purchase if the software re-install doesn't sort it.