Apple Considering Switch to AMD Processors

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DSK, Apr 17, 2010.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Source

Things are looking up.

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    They probably want a cheaper solution lol.

You know.. lower the cost of making their product yet keeping the price! (ie: creating an iPad ~$250, cost to buy, $400-600?) lol

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, i think this would be great for AMD, but yeah, looks like Apple are trying to increase their profit margin.

4. Titan7170

Titan7170 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290XT 4gb
    prolly cost more like $125 to make right now!

5. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    The cost of the components is one thing but the production and assembly is another. I have done prototype work on Apple products (afraid to go into detail, the Apple police are brutal!) in the past and will be involved in another next month.

Apple creates a product where style is the #1 priority. The finished product is more important than the cost of manufacturing. You would not believe what they will spend on production equipment in order to stick to the original design.

And that's why I don't buy their products. You end up paying a premium for the style of the product and the higher cost of production equipment associated with it.

6. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    [​IMG]

^From another thread I read up somewhere (not sure about legitimacy). One could assume how astronomical their profit margins are from this.

@thread: my first thought was how this would make Hackintosh on AMD a bit simpler.

7. Eaglewolf4237

Eaglewolf4237 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 9800GT GDDR3 1GB EE
    +1!
    Yeah they just want to make a even cheaper system you're still gonna end up paying WAY too much for just because it "looks pretty".

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    funny, I was mentioning using AMD/ATI IGP in their laptops the other day to save more battery power as I think AMD's do it better. The HD3000/4000 IGP should perform close to the 9400M and consume less power.

I still wouldnt buy anything they are making though.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm down with a fully AMD config in any Mac any day.

deltatux

10. 41LY45

41LY45 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5770 Vapor-X
    Hackintosh on an AMD PC :rock:

11. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    There are other costs involved in that ie design cost, Development cost etc etc...
    Don't be mistaken, I do believe apple product is over priced but in term of build quality, craftsmanship, design and other things, they are leading the way.
    Its like buying fashion stuff, you could never justify the price solely from the material used.

@ thread: nowadays, profitability is what keeps a company up and running.
    This is from my personal working on US based, leading company (in our product segment). Its all about cutting cost (or maintaining cost to be the same) while increasing profit margin and sales.
    Its a logical move from Apple if they find AMD chip is more competitive and suitable for their product.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  12. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Apple's products have never been of high quality; they're still using batteries in ipods that last 1.5 year only, just to force you to buy more. When it comes to screen quality Samsung make some of the best, Apple are far, far behind. And you said it yourself, you buy Apple because you have too much money and not enough sense, it's about looking good, rather than having something functional.

The moment I read this on Xbit I knew this was purely about milking their customers even more. I know several Apple buyers and they're all social outcasts, buying super overpriced products to join a cult.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010