Anyone using vista?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by The General, Feb 22, 2013.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I never tried vista on my q6660+550. So i did a fresh install 64bit ultimate, install the new drivers from nvidia, not the titan ones. And wow, this os is nice. I tested jericho and apb reloaded and they run much smoother compared to win7. i guess for my q6600 vista is the better choice , so i am going to use this over win7 now. games seems to run about 15% faster over win7 on my computer.

:)

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    coolstarybra.jpg

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, using Vista x64 bit myself. Much like Win8, win7 doesnt really offer anything i haven't got. I only game, so yeah Vista doing fine for me too.

And if your fond of Win7, I recommend ViGlance, it'll give you a taskbar like 7's.

First got Vista when i had a q6600 and a Palit 8800gt. Love that card and cpu.

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    well vista is less demanding over win7, so gaming is much better. I will use win7 on my secondary rig i plan to build later this year. a more high end build.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Vista lacks certain graphical capabilities which makes gaming better on Windows 7. For instance, Windows Vista lacks the ability to have graphics stored completely on VRAM. Instead, it has to copy to main memory first then to the VRAM. This is hugely inefficient and takes up more RAM, Windows 7 addresses that shortcoming as part of the new WDDM update that Windows Vista never got.

Windows 7 is just that much better. The only reason why I have one machine running Vista still is because I didn't bother buying extra licenses for it since well, my parents don't care for running an older version of Windows lol.

deltatux

6. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well using my setup, vista in gaming is running about 10-20% faster. Also vista looks better overall and the colors and quality is more sharper. Works great and i am loving it :)

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I use Vista variant of Windows Server 2008 (non R2) on some systems I do have one laptop with Vista Ultimate runs not bad I guess 7 and Vista are pretty close when both patched overall I still prefer 7 and Server 2008 R2 overall tho

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    There's no way I'm going back to Vista since Windows 7 is remarkably faster than Vista in every front. Plus, Vista lacks TRIM support which is considered an essential feature if you have an SSD.

Since I do, and the fact that all but one desktop have an SSD in my house, I run Windows 7 or greater on these systems. That or in the case of my desktop, I run Ubuntu with a dual boot of Windows 8.

As for The General's claims of it being faster, I have no logical explanation as to why such a claim can be made, as for colours, it's all about colour tuning. It's a driver-level functionality. Plus, every graphical output in WDDM 1.1 is hardware accelerated while that's not the case for WDDM 1.0 which is what Vista is using.

Furthermore, due to limitations of WDDM 1.0 in Vista, it doesn't allow you to use your dedicated graphics along with your IGP in your CPU (in the case of AMD APUs and Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs) if they're not using the same drivers. WDDM 1.1+ fixes this limitation, this can be advantageous for having lower power draw and if you have something like VirtuMVP, it can use your IGP for post-processing which enhances performance.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  9. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    There is no way gaming in Vista is faster than Windows 7 it is nothing more that a placebo effect. Sorry but as deltatux said above the driver support is just not there. Vista was the start with WDDM 1.0 and much was improved with Windows 7 and WDDM 1.1 support. But if you are happy with it that is all that really matters. Vista was not a bad OS by any means but Windows 7 just improved on it in every way both the front end and back end. As far as it goes Windows 8 has improved on Windows 7 in every way that matters.

10. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I have been using win7 for years now, using it with my q6600 +550 for about 2-3 years now. Games run just fine, however i finally install and tested vista which i am using now with my setup and Gaming in vista is about 10%-20% over windows 7. Vista is less demanding so that's why i assume is faster over win7. Every game i tested is faster compared to win7. Now i can't do any benchmarks vista vs win7 , but i can do some benchmarks in general and once i have some videos up i will link it. I also like the way vista looks compared to win7. Anyways about 95% i game at 1600x900 in games, only because i like to record about 100% of the time, only about 4% i game and record at 1920x1080 and that last 1% i game at 1360x768( only with one game, APB Reloaded )

Note keep in mind i play with Y-syc on,

But with 2 games

Clive barkers Jericho:

Win7 = 1600X900+everything high(max)+motion blur max+noaa= 29-50
    Vista = 1600X900+everything high(max)+motion blur max+aax8 = 38-55

Neuxiz 2012

Win7 = 1600X900+everything Ultra+max+DX11+AAMAX= 15-25
    Vista= 1600X900+everything Ultra+max+DX11+AAMAX= 27-60/ 99% of the time its 25-48

I plan to do alot of videos and i will be sure to post them. I even tested crysis lol last night, aax2+1600x900+veryhigh+post processing at high = 29-50. never could do that on win7.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

11. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Sorry to break it to you, but Vista is NOT less demanding than Win 7. And overall, gaming in Vista is NOT faster than under Win 7. All you are seeing is a placebo effect, and perhaps the benefit of a fresh OS install. There are plenty of articles making gaming comparisons between Vista and Win 7 and nearly all of them show that Win 7 is the better OS for gaming.

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Oh well, the name of the OP should ring a bell for some. ;)

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Don't feed the troll peeps.

14. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Another Vista user here because of its eye-candy. With service pack 2 it is solid But no way it's %10-15 faster than 7. Vista uses more ram in general but if you have a nice system it does the job just fine.

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I am working on 7 different benchmarks for games, you will see how good they run on my computer with vista. Using evga tool to show the performance. But Lycronis , you can believe what you like, i will post up the benchmarks in soon as i can.

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You would be one of the very few that has better performance with Vista and I'm not one of the haters I used it for quite some time and the wife still uses it.

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    This is not true at all, Clive barkers jericho as i mention i could never enable AA at 1600x900 everything max and still get between 35-60 frames on win7, but on vista i can. This has nothing to do with some placebo , fresh install thing, and the benchmarks i show will prove that on well vista runs with games.

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
  19. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Nope Windows 7 x64, is just fine for me thanks

20. LeZaSh

LeZaSh Guest

GPU: