Anyone have SLI working on X58 motherboard?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fusioncon, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    of course. latest 1001 R2E bios here

2. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    Over at Asus, some guy said to change the BIOS settings, under chipset for the NB, to 16x8x8 versus auto, etc.

3. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    I maybe wrong, but i think for the X58 chipset there is no official sli support but there is official crossfire support according to intels website for DX58SO mobo. But this doesn't mean it won't support sli as there are many guys out there who have sli working and fine. You could wait for the next bios release and use one card till then instead of playing around with sli and getting something screwed up.

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Of course they officially support SLI.

All of the high end boards have been liscensed for SLI, including the P6T. Not ALL x58 boards have been liscensed though so anyone who buys one should make sure theirs is SLI capable.

5. cars10

cars10 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 260
    tried that. did not work for me

6. fusioncon

fusioncon New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ 512
    yeah i tried the same and that did not help me either..

a friend of mine helped me troubleshoot using his 8800's and here is the sum total of every situation i've attempted, and I think it proves that its either an Nvidia driver issue or an XFX gpu issue, but i'm curious for other people's takes on the situation

Specs for my rig (RIG A):

- Asus P6T Deluxe (X58 Chipset)
    - 2x XFX 9800 GTX+ GPUs
    - Corsair 850 Watt PSU
    - Vista 64bit

Specs for friend's rig (RIG B):

- Asus Nforce Motherboard (can't recall model)
    - 2x BFG 8800 GTS GPUS
    - Corsair 750 Watt PSU
    - Vista 64bit

In both rigs, assume everything is connected properly, all available power connected, SLI bridges installed, etc. OS's are identical so thats not a factor.

With both 9800GTX+ GPUs in RIG A:

No matter what X58 enabled driver is installed, 180.48, 181.20, 182.06, all the beta release in between, the result is always the same, the rig hangs at black screen the moment that the windows logo should appear and can only be recovered with a reset or power cycle, or it bluescreens with a STOP 0x00000101. I've seen both behaviors for every driver version.

With any of those X58 enabled drivers, pulling either one of the GPUs enables the rig to boot and function. Alternativaly, reverting drivers back to 178.24 which do not have X58 support, then the rig can boot and function, but even if both GPUs are installed, only one GPU is utilized, SLI option doesnt show up as an option in Nvidia Control Panel.

With only one of the 9800GTX+ GPUS in RIG A (in either of the 16x PCIe slots):

Rig boots and functions fine with one GPU with any driver version

With both 8800GTS GPUs in RIG A:

Rig boots and functions fine, and SLI is available and functions using 182.06 drivers (no other versions were attempted)

With both 9800GTX+ GPUS in RIG B:

Rig boots and SLI is avaiable using 182.06 drivers (no other versions were attempted). Didn't actually go into 3D mode since his PSU did not have 4 6 pin connectors for the GPUS, but SLI popped up in the notification tray, and was available to enable in Nvidia Control Panel

7. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    which SLI bridges did u use, some time it bridge, when the bridge is broken u get bad FPS and black screen enabling SLI, i know this because it happened to me before.

8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    That's really strange. I haven't had a single issue with SLI, regardless of what driver I've used. I don't even know where to start regarding troubleshooting this.

9. dejo1

dejo1 New Member

GPU:
    bfg 9800gtx+ (2)
    I can tell you for sure that the p6t does work with the gtx cards as I have one and have ran it with the bfg cards in sli. I, for now have them split up between the asus and giga boards but will put them back together as soon as I figure out what card I want to run in the second box. but had no problems at all with either of the boards running sli. and even scored 25978 with 2 of them in 3dmk06