Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I know this is diverting the subject from this thread, but he can be very stupid at times, he just guesses and he does it often at his "optimization" guides. His Discord is literally a bunch of minions followers of a cult, I recommended 1803 to an user in there because it seem it fixes the Standby Memory issue (at least it did for me, updating it to the latest compilation). Then his wife came in and said 1803 is "a**".

I asked her why and guess what her response whas? "Because it is?" They believe that Windows 10 1709 is "superior" to all other Windows versions, for no other reason other than fr33thy said it in one of his videos. Then another user came in and agreed with her, so I asked him why on which points 1709 was better than other Windows versions. His answer? "Everything?" I simply couldn't believe what I was seeing. There answers were worth a 12 yeard old who is a fanboy of something. Then this guy told me to "prove" to him why other Windows versions are better and I linked him this: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/fix-game-stutter-on-win-10-1703-1809.420251/page-48 Then he said he doesn't need to read anything because he knows 1709+ISLC are better. WTF? They prefer an older Windows version that has more performance issues and bugs than trying newer Windows versions, because theirs "better"? How is it better? Because it is! This is literally their mindset, man, this makes my head hurt.

These users literally have beliefs on an O.S, they can't prove or explain what they are saying, not to mention that also all of them use Latencymon as the ultimate benchmark tool for "latency". Some have gone to the point of bricking their computer to get "lower values" on this program. Its pathetic. I just lost it at that point and called out their stupidity, I ended up getting banned by his wife, who is an admin in there. All she does is to repeat what he has done on his videos to give other users "advice". So I guess if someone says something different from that its not a "valid" tweak. The rest of members in there are just clueless people who follow everything he says and if you mention any other Windows version that it isn't 1709, they trash other users.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Xtreme512 likes this.
  2. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    From what i read and tested Steam and Origin(not sure about other "stores"?) both seem to set timer resolution to 1.0, so ive set it to 1.0 myself

Smough likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And UPlay too.

4. loopy7

loopy7 New Member

GPU:
    I just had the exact same experience and was also banned. I was never rude or insulted anyone and was told I was "spreading misinformation".

Basically what started it was I said 20H1 is working good for me and he personally started with the childish insults. I also mentioned useplatformtick which sets the timer to a "nice even number" but make things worse on my rig, and his response was basically "just watch my videos and don't waste my time".

He also mentioned QPC Timer at 10MHz as a problem and my response was that people looking into the kernel have not spotted anything of the sort that suggests the reported 10MHz is causing any negative effect whatsoever.

He has a video basically trashing 1909 and comparing it to 1709. I suggested the cause of 1909 returning worse results in benchmarks could be useplatformtick, which is the exact same results I can produce on my rig too.

He kept suggesting my tests were misinformation but when I asked for the specific video which debunks my test results he banned me without warning.

I don't really care about being banned, all I care about if it makes a few people question these so-called "tweaks", then that's what really matters.

It's exactly like a cult obsessed with Windows 1709, which is an extremely weird cult, unless there's money involved or some sort of huge gain/benefit.

I run my timer at 0.4959 ms and Windows has never felt better. I'm no pro at gaming, but I'm definitely above average and can tell when something isn't right. And there's nothing wrong with 1909, or 20H1.

Smough likes this.

5. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    i have seen plenty of tweaks, some make a visible difference and some dont. use whatever works for you. :)

Smough likes this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    What would that hardware be that would be cut off of TSC when running an OS? I'm afraid you are just making things up.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Same experience I had. I am using useplatformtick due to the even timer resolution, but I may disable that and try without. It hasn't made things worse for me or at least, now that I can tell, but never hurts to try other alternatives. An uneven timer its not adequate for me, but hey, maybe that's just me being stubborn. Anyway, yeah, their Discord is pathetic, I really got desperate and really angry they just couldn't give me any logical answer. Like man, why not be honest? If you are no sure, just say or say something like "my experience with it has been good so far and I do think its better, its faster" and that's it. They give child-like responses:

-Because it is?
    -Omg
    -Lmao
    -Everything?
    -It is better
    -Its more stable (I actually asked WHY it is more stable than newer Windows versions and they said "because it is?". No, I am not joking, that was their answer). They can't factually explain why Windows 10 1709 is more "stable", they just don't know. Fr33thy said at one video that 1709 is more stable, but that's it. He doesn't even know why, he just guesses it is and the dumbest members at his Discord repeat all of what he says.

In theory, newer Windows should be better, as we know, this isn't always the case, but most of the time, it is. With updates and bugfixes, things get decent, this is also why I don't rush to newer Windows builds, once they are established and solid, I go on ahead and update. I mean, Windows 1709 doesn't even have the Standby Memory fix, how tf can it be "superior" to 1803, 1809 or 2004, that do fix this problem? Literally, I don't need ISLC anymore, its been repaired, 1803 and upwards. I explained this to they and some dumb kid said "all Windows versions have this problem and need this program". I told him to prove it to me and his answer as "omg". I feel honored I got ban from that pathetic clown gang.

BTW, how did you get 2004? Are you an insider? How does it behave? I'll write down any info as I will update to 2004 as soon as its stable, I am kind of tired of 1803 and I believe some of the problems I have sometimes are due to this build.

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    As always, I ask a very specific question and get only smoke and mirrors from you. You're clearly a phony.

9. loopy7

loopy7 New Member

GPU:
    2004 is still an insider build. IMO I'd wait until its official release. I use/test it from time to time but 1909 is still my daily driver. Behaves well from what I've seen. Some changes include multiple monitor fix (Google "windows 2004 multiple monitors different refresh rates"). "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling", possibly a very slight GPU performance improvement, but probably considered within margin of error in regards to gaming. But I have noticed games that push the GPU to the max, 99%, is now 100% with that enabled.

Also, an intersting PDF from Microsoft regarding why the QPC timer is reported as 10MHz: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...172/2/Evolution of Timekeeping in Windows.pdf

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Question is how did they do that. What hardware provides time stamp counter with 10MHz frequency?
    May be in the past when TSC started to be used as QPC implementation the frequency reported by QPF was not raw value from TSC. May be it was divided.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020

11. Risedo

Risedo Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    modern game (CSGO apex legends overwatch) win10 default is 0.5

anyone test 20H1(2004) QueryPerformanceFrequency is 10Mhz too?

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    After 1803, all Windows 10 QueryPerformance is 10 MHz, but no one reports game breaking issues or stutter or anything like that, so don't worry about it. Its not something that will make you "slow" at a game or anything, latency is more important and it hasn't changed much since Windows 7 and if you tweak 10 a bit more, there are no problems.

13. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    so if I understand correctly Win10 automatically sets the timer to 0.5 when playing games, which means there is no need for a third party utility to lower the tic, am I right?

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It does not. But game platforms like Steam, Origin, UPlay do set timer resolution to 1 ms.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It doesn't set it to 0.5, it sets it to 1.0. I've never seen a game setting this to 0.5, unless its a feature of newer Windows builds.

16. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    got it guys, thanks.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It does not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS I can continue with Origin and UPlay.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Afaik 1ms is the official maximum resolution documented by Microsoft, though 0.5ms has always worked until now.
    Indeed newer Windows 10 versions automatically set the timer resolution, this was not the case in the past with Crysis 3 (Origin closed, returns to 15ms after closing the game):
    [​IMG]
    (Yes, the game has shitty frame time consistency in CPU bound grass scenes. It gets slightly better with increasing CPU core count/threads.)

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    To learn what process requested current timer resolution you have to execute command "powercfg -energy" and then look in created report file.

Smough likes this.
  20. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Something strange is going on in 20H1. Both ISLC and the old TimerTool report ~0.5ms when it's requested but powercfg -energy says otherwise:
    It's the same when Origin.exe requests 10000

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020