AMD Ryzen 7 2700X costs 329 dollars

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    At least this time around it shouldn't be as difficult for reviewers like yourself. I know reviewers had a hard time with the first Ryzen releases, due to all the BIOS updates, OS patches, and a slew of other products that came rushing their way. I figure this should be a relatively smooth release day.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This looks very nice, can't wait for the review.
    Zen2 as a replacement for my current rig gets more and more likely... screw Intel! :D

3. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    I am still a good couple of years away from having the budget that i want to build a rig to replace my now ancient FX8350 platform, i am watching Ryzen closely as it is just getting better and better.

the Ryzen 3000 series may even be out by the time i am ready to upgrade - bring on the performance gains :D

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    And hopefully there won't be as much controversy (recall that there were some death threats after the Ryzen 7 reviews came out :S).

schmidtbag likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    4.3ghz Turbo on a 8c/16t for £299 is solid indeed. This line up of cpus will make AMD a lot of money. The first generation of Ryzen was meh but this is looking solid. AMD, please no hiccups with this one and you're onto a winner.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looks solid. I don't lack computer power at this moment, my rig does everything I want, but ...
    C'mon, everybody wants one, right? Me too, although I don't know really if I will actually buy one.
    But IF my main rig will start to have issues, it's good to know that there are very good alternatives.

7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    chispy likes this.
  8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    The Epic refresh is going to rock

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ryzen meh, what glue you sniffin?

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No glue here. I was in the market for a new cpu prior to Ryzen release and seeing all the issues that were there at the beginning, I chose not to buy one. For me, the release was poor, I understand that it was a new architecture but all the memory issues, lack of motherboards, coolers and gaming performance were the deciding factor. Imo a lot of those issues could have been swept aside had AMD given it a month or two more and worked closer with motherboard manufacturers. For me, also, the gaming performance is meh, it's not better than intel and I use my PC for gaming.

I'm sure the Ryzen platform is better off now but I'm not in the market for a new cpu now. I might be next year or the year after that and I'm sure they'll release without all those issues, having had the experience from previous generations.

alanm likes this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you felt that a completely and totally brand new architecture with multiple "firsts" for AMD would have not had issues.... i must wonder what glue you're sniffing as well. Same stuff happens to Intel as well when they release major updates to their architectures (and sometimes when they don't, and, well, they don't more often then not anymore)

Point is: No one, literally no one, should have expected ryzen would have a perfect release.

And the "bugs" they did have were exceptionally minor.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Guys, don't you know that difference between "meh" and "solid" is 8% of clock?

In reality difference between "meh" and "solid" is defined by sales. And Ryzen delivered great improvement in that department for AMD.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I said this
    It was a poor release, are you going to argue that? Was it to be expected? Kinda, yes, nobody thought it would be perfect and I never said I expected it to be perfect. I even said that I understand that it's a new architecture and I know that comes with issues, I wasn't born yesterday. But, like I also said, I needed, or wanted a new cpu. I couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of months to see those issues to be ironed out. And like I said, gaming performance wasn't on par with Intel and that is what I use my rig for so yeah, for me it was a meh cpu.

This is also why I said that the next generation will be very interesting, I'm sure the IPC of 2700x is higher than the previous generation and the next generation will hopefully be another couple of % better. Add something like a 4.5ghz clock and you have an amazing cpu. Which I might just buy, yes, the next generation of Ryzen will be very tempting for me.

I hope I made myself clear and I'm definitely not here to bash AMD, if anything, I'll always give them praise for their current (and hopefully future) cpu line up.