AMD responds to FX line negativity!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by maleficarus™, Oct 14, 2011.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    maybe, maybe not. i woulnt be a bit surprised if in a year or 2 that amd cuts costs on their cpu segment and started focusing more time and money on their apu and gpu lines. thats wherre they seem to be doing the best at right now.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think if AMD pushed Piledriver earlier, did not reference it as a 'second gen' Bulldozer, but more of a revised Bulldozer, and bumped the numbers to FX-8250, FX-6200 etc, it will be greatly beneficial for them. Further to this, bringing out the third gen Bulldozer next year (if they can with the 22nm process), even if it only has a DDR3 memory controller, and calling that the second gen. Then, once DDR4 comes about have that as a third gen along with other improvements. Basically just push the timeline of releases ahead a bit.

Realistically, nobody is going to look at Piledriver once Ivy Bridge comes out, since at the moment its still on 32nm and is only 10 percent faster (according to AMD) per clock than Bulldozer. Unfortunately if they do stick to the existing released plans, due to the poor performance and power use of Bulldozer, and not much better expected with Piledriver, stores may even drop them from sale due to flagging sales. If the stores don't stock them, they won't be able to sell any.

Even if they make a comeback with 3rd gen 'Bulldozer', the name 'Bulldozer' will put people off, and further to this they will have trouble selling them if stores don't bother stocking them.

Another issue for AMD is market perception. If Intel release an underperforming CPU, either clearly underperforming like the Bulldozer, or underperforming to expectations, it won't really hurt them. On the other hand, AMD needs to do the exact opposite, they need to release a CPU that is faster than expectations. Its quite easy for them to do now since peoples expectations are pretty low for anything they release in the future. It will probably take two generations of CPU which is better than Intel's to win back peoples confidence, otherwise they might as well get out of the CPU business.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    [​IMG]

Awesome reading this @ work ... nothing to do. w00t !

Only time i went with AMD was with the AMD64(FX) series (3200+). It fokking kicked A$$ :banana: ...
    But after that it was Intel every upgrade ...

Too bad tho i really hoped this would a turning point for me and AMD, o well ... IB here i COMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah its a shame, because its a guarantee in the future you won't get a future equivalent for a i5-2500K or i7-2600K as cheaply as you do now. Also say hello to motherboards costing say, 20 percent more too.

5. NomadicX

NomadicX Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
    I think I'll now retire from G3D as some others have. Enjoyed being here and gotten lots of help over time but it's just gotten too juvenile, as seen in this thread.

6. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
  7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    LMAO. oh man, i thought i was gonna piss myself. that was too funny

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU: