AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. Damien147

Damien147 Active Member

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    @PrEzi
    @Eastcoasthandle

I haven't tried VLC but the plan is to make it work in MPC-HC and it only happens there on my system.I thought that it had to do with hardware acceleration(d3d11 native) but it also happens with software decoding(avcodec).I have second thoughts about the driver and the fact that it happened with software decoding too yesterday.
    I removed my CPU OC by loading defaults and it happened again by simply opening a movie in MPC-HC.No tweaking at all on my system.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Please stop referring to VRAM as RAM it is hurting my head now

3. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    My point of trying VLC and checking if it leads to similar results (garbled screen) is to actually exclude any codec-related issues since MPC-HC can depend on external codes (that might be f**ed up) in your syster where VLC (as a complete package) delivers "clean" codecs with it.
    This test is not so that you will switch to VLC but to actually exclude broken software other than Windows/Codecs/AMD VCE.

4. Damien147

Damien147 Active Member

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    Gpu drivers and mpc-hc including codecs(LAV filters) have been updated since the first time it happened.It seems MPC-HC specific.

5. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I can understand everything and I haven't said that you are a newbie or something like that....
    I am just trying to point out that maybe not everything needs to be pinned to AMD... and believe me... benchmarks are sometimes not enough to uncover instabilities.... Hell I am even not completely dependent of the results of AIDA/OCCT and TM5 tests.... 3D Mark and other "simple" benchmarks can only uncover some heavier instabilities, but not the "last bits". And funny part --- I also test the stability with Diablo 3 as an add-on after I am through with AIDA/OCCT and TM5 as a last checkpoint.... If it (Diablo3) can run stable for 3+ hours without crashing then it is the final checkpoint and I consider the rig stable. This since the time when I had a RAM OC that was 99.8% stable --- uptime for weeks without problems, everything ran fine (games too with one exception that follows), TM5 first three loops were fine (back then it was enough for me)... BUT Diablo3 crashed after some time.
    So after a few crashes I did extended tests (several hours) with TM5/custom profile and I found out that from time to time (every second or so hour) it has thrown one or two single errors. And that is why Diablo3 crashed... seemed really sensitive. Every other game ran fine.

And by writing that you have switched from a 5700XT to a 1060 and then concluding that everything is fine and it is AMDs problem.... well.... consider this please :
    --it might be indeed a problem with AMD (be it drivers or the card itself //// why have you changed the thermal solution? Was it a problem?) Maybe because of that your card degraded? Maybe reusing thermal pads was not that good idea and maybe something changed e.g. some thermal pads have lost contact causing overheating on some points not measured by the APIs that AMD provides to monitoring tools e.g. GPU-Z ??
    --1060 vs 5700XT we are talking about quite different power consumption levels where 1060 consumer between 120 and 140 Watts (average in-game) where 5700XT can consume more than 200+ Watts easily thus putting more stress on your power lines etc...
    What I want to say is /// it is really hard to make an apples to apples comparison and maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.... that is why I would advise to really stress your rig again and redo the stability checks ... Might sound silly since you have experience... but... well... just to satisfy my inner devil (or call it guts) to do that once again and with those specific tools ;)

6. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    From what you are writing VLC runs fine then? You are aware that MPC-HC might be dependent on other external codecs/settings that are sitting in your system and are breaking stuff? That is why I asked to check under VLC because VLC provides their own codec-set.
    IF you have checked it under VLC and it is MPC-HC specific then I would advise to look in that direction. Especially if VLC is ok and MPC under software decoding is still messed up.
    Two possibilities (might be more, but I am using primary those two) to cleanup codecs / filters ---
    --K-lite Mega Codec Pack and use the included Codec Tweak Tool. (before doing that uninstall any codecs you have)
    --Filmerit
    I am a fan of K-lite since some early days and never had problems with it. For higher quality (but also higher GPU/CPU usage) I can also recommend MadVR. For onthefly conversion to 50/60fps (frame doubling) I can recommend Bluesky Frame Rate Converter (might cause some issues with some 50/60fps Sources that is why I have two players // MPC-HC (clean) and MPC-HC BE (with all the tweaks).

7. Damien147

Damien147 Active Member

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    I use MadVR too but no K-lite,just LAV filters and update them when available.I haven't tried VLC but I see that it only happens with MPC-HC.I install on top to keep settings.It's not guaranteed that it will happen.

8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I use MPC-BE with MadVR but just an idea

is the source video HDR? you have to use full-screen (real full-screen, no fake/windowed full-screen ones)

if you don't have HDR screen, try disabling auto-detect/passthrough in MADVR options and enable color correction or sumthing like that (instead of trying to output HDR)

otherwise idk, maybe try MPC-BE with MadVR? xP

olymind1 and PrEzi like this.
  9. Damien147

Damien147 Active Member

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    It's sdr content and I don't see a specific pattern,it just happens randomly with MPC-HC.Things are dusty in my case and just cleaned the gpu pins.:eek:

10. rpro

rpro Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    @PrEzi
    Nah card was almost new when i swapped thermal paste,you should saw what they use for stock one,its disgrace what they put on chip and on top of that copper passive cooler was not even 100% flat, im lucky i work in industry where we use extremely high graded sand paper and stones.....after that temps were much better.
    Its rly frustrating that other day i played division 2 for 3-4 hours without any problems and before that wows crashed 5 times within 10 mins. once even before game even started + i got black screen and then system restart by watching youtube videos. gotta be drivers im sure.

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    mkay.... well... I have solved my black screen issues (you can check the other/earlier threads basically starting from 2020 branch) by locking into P1 state as the bare minimum.... I have heard that unfortunately it doesn't work for Navis....
    However I never ever had problems with 3D clocks... (and funny part --- after 3+ years (when was VEG64 released? Bought it on day1) I have also changed the thermal paste on my VEGA64 Liquid because I though... you know... after such a time it definitely degraded... and the compound applied was still good! And the surfaces including GPU and HBM were perfectly leveled.... Including the Water Block... Dunno... might be manufacturer-specific, cause the Liquid Cooled edition was basically AMD Stock + sticker slapped on it)....
    Maybe as last resort --- check on TPU if there is by any chance a different / newer BIOS for your card? Just be sure it is for memory from the same manufacturer (same timings etc.)... Else... Have by chance the possibility to check on a (borrowed?) better/stronger PSU? Have heard some really weird stories about superflower and co. behaving weirdly on AMD systems (talking about mid-high to high end lines of 700+ Watt PSUs)....
    BTW also playing The Division 2 on my VEGA64.... rock solid. Had one crash like two weeks ago, but 99% sure it was not AMD related... the game is full of..... bugs (I've tried to sum it up in a veeeeery polite way).

12. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    ram is ram, video is acronym vram but is always ram, ram (random access memory) is acronym system ram, if i speack in video card ram is ram (vram acronym), you refer to things never said by me in your mind, it's your head problem

ps. you take it personally even when i don't talk to you, have two laughs, smile at life that i'm not your problem, maybe your problem is fault driver
    I apologize to everyone, knowing i'm wrong
    I will never respond to trolls again, sorry at all i take my responsibility but only for what I say (write) no for other

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    ^^ I just... can't read this munched through obviously bad "engrish" machine translation stubborn wannabe expert messages...
    Just .... stahp....pretty pleaaaze.

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    im the troll? seriously mate take your meds

PrEzi likes this.
  15. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    ;) yes, is a good driver (basic translate from my hands) :D i think this help but but.... let's smile
    you can read and understand??? where do i refer to system ram? you are confused and i open my ignore list
    maybe but i repeat maybe it's a work around, it's not the fault drivers or a burn card, it's all virtual :confused:
    well you fixed your virtual problems in p1 state
    do you work for amd? i'm curios :eek:

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    recently i've been hearing you try to shift blame onto everyone except AMD for the bad drivers.

Jumy and Passus like this.
  17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I found something very interesting.
    If you use 32bit Audio it breaks Video Capture on Radeon Software. It won't record until you lower it.
    Can anyone with a 32bit audio test this to see if you can record to desktop (it doesn't matter if desktop or in game).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Can't really do much if the OS itself lacked support though, WDDM 2.2 from 1703 and Windows 10 Creators from 2017 not sure if that's where they altered VSync behavior or if that was a later one.
    2.0 Windows 10.0 to 2.7 current as of 10.0 Vanadium 1 and beyond has been quite a number of updates and changes alongside DXGI and other OS updates by this point. :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As to Navi though I don't really know other than the GPU can be incredibly tough to troubleshoot effectively and the software has it's share of known issues making things more or less problematic depending on what the user runs into, if anything because it could just work fine too.

I went through a full system build in December 2019 and it took until mid-February 2020 for the drivers to be mostly stable which the GPU now works reasonably well although I keep hardware accelerated browsing and media playback to a minimum.

And DXVK gets to act as a intermediate solution for D3D stability and performance for now which is also something I've been testing both performance and stability wise but I'll never really figure out what goes wrong or breaks and why only that it can still happen.

EDIT: As does NVIDIA and their drivers of course both have their flaws and in different areas but there is still a bit of a problem when switching to their cards can fully resolve OS instability whatever is causing it.
    (Memory is a good one but not a conclusive answer either though it can certainly be a bigger factor than some other stuff.)

EDIT: And for Madvr the codec bundle or at least K-Lite uses a somewhat earlier version, experimental builds I think are about one and a half year newer by this point if applied on top of what that contains with more fixes and features.

Though KLCP appears to be going more for Media Player Classics hardware playback now so maybe Madvr will end up being phased out if it is not updated further.

EDIT: Now where were those again...
    There.
    http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip

That goes here far as KLCP is set up.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\Filters\madVR

Replacing most of the existing files other than the two AMD AGS .dll files and the settings file and the unrar .dll file. :)

Should be from January 20th 2020 replacing files from what 2018 possibly early to mid 2019 or so?

KLCP 15.5.0 from May 29th as the latest with further updates to the Media Player Classic software and it's hardware video playback module.
    Or stand-alone as that's a viable almost preferred mode too just using that and maybe LAV if needed rather than KLCP Standard let alone the big packages with all the extras. :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Update:
    Hmm, after alternating between Spartial Sound on/off. Recording seems to work even at 32bit again. Strange. I'll leave this just in case someone has this issue.

Edit:
    After further digging it was Enabled Audio Enhancements that was doing it. I uninstalled DTS Sound Unboxed and it was still doing it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    OnnA and JonasBeckman like this.