AMD R9 Fury X Could Be Impacted by Liquid Cooling Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Source :- http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2106-liquid-cooling-lawsuit-could-impact-fury-x#!/ccomment

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-r9-fury-x-could-be-impacted-by-liquid-cooling-lawsuit.html

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Astek looks to be butthurt a lot, they should just deal with it.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Could explain why there hasn't been and stock of FuryX lately.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Asetek doesn't want competition....and they don't mind screwing consumers.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Is it me me or the date dont match at all ?

We are speaking about judgement who have been executed in 2013 and 2014, with the later, the appeal from CM, who have been rejected in 2014 and executed by CM since January 2015.

The later date i see is the 1/1/2015 ( january 2015 ).. So CM allready put thosess 27$ of royalty in his product price, since january 2015.

Or does the appeal for CM have still not been judged ?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Asetek is probably hitting CM for the same thing on the Glacer 240L that they previous got Swiftech for on the H220, since the Glacer was Swiftech's workaround for the H220 sale ban in the US. I won't be surprised if the Glacer 240L sales stop in the USA.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Instead of making product which sells like crazy, Go and get patent on something and cash grab from actually existing products of others...

Maybe they should go and extend their patent to building houses on concrete plate foundation.

Result of stuff like this will be always same. Temporarily limited supply and increased price afterwards.

I would say that if LCS on Fury X is included in ban, then CM can't keep contractual obligations to AMD and is in risk of penalty if any included in contract.
    Likely we'll see 3rd line of pumps soon.

8. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    This news is part of a bigger case where Cooler Master and coolT was found to infringe upon 32 patents. all of witch the court ruled that Asetek was right.

This is a very simple case of a company "Asetek" inventing something great and other companies stealing their intellectual property.

Asetek was founded in 2000 and their sole purpose has allways been water cooling.
    And they show their superiority by beeing the worlds leading supplier of water cooling solutions for server systems.

9. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So in your opinion it's ok to steal and use, something others have spent a lot of time and money developing ?

Personally I'm with Asetek on this. They pay all the development cost and CMI just copy their design and profit on it.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To both of you. It is question of complexity. can you prove that they did stole it? Or is that actually simple enough that they could develop it independently?

Or just because they filled some paper 1st gives them right to prevent anyone else to use it without paying?

This entire patent approach is slowing and even stopping development of new technologies.

If I make new revolutionary method of making steel which is lighter and more durable. i would not fill patent, would not show to anyone. Let them reverse engineer it. They would not because it is too complex and you would not reverse engineer it from actual product.

Patents about shape and part composition are Apple like patents.

Edit: Imagine someone patenting non-removable battery in cellphone as revolutionary space saving method.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Asetek is a pioneer in that product, they just protect what they have done, i would have done the same, the one who screw consumer is the one who use it without licence... (not AMD either, as they can use other provider too btw).
    nope it's due to chip maker, whatever you like red or green the memory on chip stacked is a bit different than standard... and at the price the fury X is...

BUT MORE IMPORTANT what make my mind go to Asetek is that Cooler Master is not a beginner in copy, and use technology without licence and so since company start...
    of course without licences it is less expensive lol.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it is more complex, as Asetek have done under licence the cooler for CMI, but if CMI use it outside the patend limit and hiding it to Asetek... then it is *****.

13. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Also, imagine this:
    Asetek has patent for on-plate pump
    Someone else has patent for on-rad pump
    all-in-one kits are dead

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have no problem with patents, nobody would dare invest in lengthy, costly research without them. But I do have a problem with too broad and simple patents (the US patent office especially seems to be a fan of them). I'm no expert, so I can't judge this particular case fairly, but it seems pretty funny that Asetek waited until a whole bunch of manufacturers had their production lines running and store shelves full of products until it suddenly decided to taken them all down and collect massive royalties afterwards.

I have used Antec closed loop coolers in two of my last builds. They most certainly fell under this Asetek patent, which is why they disappeared from shops and were replaced with ugly models avoiding the patent. Funnily enough I had never even heard of Asetek before all of the patent cases. The company certainly didn't do good work selling itself to home system builders, but did very good job exploiting other manufacturers who actually managed to sell their products. Maybe Asetek is a company with good research, good lawyers, but no businessmen?

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What Asetek did, was take 2 products developed by other companies and merge them together. Not exactly revolutionary. I'd have no issue with them protecting their "patents" if they actually licensed their patents to other companies. Since they don't, they're a hindrance to progress.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I just filed for a patent too. I have a smart solution to the age-old problem of leaving your house.

Billions of people world-wide live in houses. However, there is no easy method of leaving their house. I came up with the ingenious idea of a "door". It's basically a hole in a wall, and you build an openable obstacle into that wall. You can open it, thus having an exit from or entry into the house, and then close it again.

I'm 100% sure the U.S. patent office will grant that patent. I will get royalties paid for every door that exists.

17. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    Asetek is the manufacturer of the AIO solutions from Antec(Old version), Intel, NZXT, Thermaltake, Corsair and Arctic.
    They also made the cooler for EVGA's GTX 980 HYBRID and the coolers for the R9 295x2's

Not to mention water cooled server systems all over the world.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They do license their patents. For example in the CoolIT/Corsair case they licensed their patent to Corsair, who then had CoolIT build their coolers.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    There are plenty of Nano and Fury's available though but no X. I doubt it's yields at this point, but it could be.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So it's cooler? Which can be made by a hobo in any garage?
    Not their biggest GPU ever, 600mm2 no redundancy, coupled with next year RAM technology?

uhmm just no...