AMD looking to spread chip production to Samsung

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I guess it makes sense, since the availability of product is nonexistent. And there aren't basically any other options besides TSMC and Samsung. However, if I'm not mistaken Samsung just has worse yields which would make the final product more expensive. So if they go with Samsung for some of their chips, it could lead to higher availability, but I don't see them dropping in price significantly.

AMD could start their own production, but even if they decided to do so now it would be years until they can compete and those years would require many tens of billions in investment. Something that AMD probably doesn't have.

2. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Fabless is probably a better focus for a company orientated more on design now than manufacturing. The flexibility not having your own fabs is the compromise of being stuck in a queue for fab availability. Strategic partnerships are useful for AMD, especially if broader use of IP increases their portfolio, brand recognition and ultimately their bottom line.

For all the criticisms of both Nvidia and AMD on the GPU front, it is now easier to find an Nvidia GPU than an AMD one - still. That alone should make it worth considering Samsung fabs.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Maybe a good time for AMD to buy back GloFo

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    ^^ Nope, It's a bigger money pit than when AMD spilt. Be years and billions to try and make GloFo competitive at best.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021

5. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    God I second that no... good lord it was a contractural nightmare getting out of that relationship I cannot imagine AMD's CEO making the mistake of her predecessors by ever doing that again without some ironclad terms and an entirely different GlobalFoundries just in the same sense AMD is an entirely different AMD. The irony is what enabled that to happen, among many things included choosing TSMC over GloFo

6. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio

I think not reading even the thumbnail makes you worse than the creator of that video. He is specifically talking about 8nm at Samsung being bad. Newer nodes which were available at Samsung for past few years, including 5nm are much better, seems to be the point he is trying to make.

And I highly doubt that AMD is going for 8nm at Samsung. It is a regression in process for most applications that require high performance.

The point I am trying to make is lets keep an open mind, even when listening to an opposing opinion, and not just judging by the cover.

7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there were different factors than node density that the author of the video disregarded

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Some people said they are not going to use the 8nm .... And i am asking .... Why not ? Low end and mid range gpu chips can work fine .....and would be better than throwing em on tsmc 7nm where they already print big navy ryzen 3 chiplets and both consoles clearly amd can not add yet more product lines on 7nm not for a while at least they can not cover the demand of the current ones at this point and time.

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    In short: Frak you Apple and automotives,because other players dont have enough apu,cpu and gpu waffers.
    Unfortunatelly this was happen when America do not have 5-7 nm tech on their soil(exporting their know-how to others in SE Asia) or Europe sleeping in their pants all the time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    carnivore likes this.
  10. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Would Samsung even have capacity for another major OEM at this time?

11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am not surprised hearing this , the thing that worries me is that even the mighty intel cannot produce enough products to satisfy the demand . This was avoidable , there was steady growth for years and all the manufacturers knew this , why have they not invested more in new production facilities ? This stinks .

12. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    World wide semiconductor shortage = prices go up , simple .