AMD Fixes More Ryzen Issues with New Microcode

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Performance keeps on improving in games with Ryzen, that would be the generic message AMD is evengalizing on a new Blog post. It seems that AMD has made good progress on the software side of things. Y...

AMD Fixes More Ryzen Issues with New Microcode

2. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    As someone about to build their Ryzen rig this weekend, I am pleased to see progress being made. Hoping the ram speed improvements comes along with the may update.

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Awesome! :)

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Any improvement is welcome. :thumbup:

Keep it coming. I will likely be building a new core system end of June as a birthday present to myself. As of now I'm leaning towards 6800k but if gaming performance comes around like this across the board R7 1700x jumps to the top of my list.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Ryzen gets better and better. I'm on the verge on upgrading to a Ryzen 5 hexa core instead of an i5. Have already an i5 and for me it's boring to spend money to get an i5 yet again. I'm happy to see AMD ironing out the issues.

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I will bet the elimination of the dependence on HPET will help quite a bit. After prolonged experimentation of my own with an FX-8320e clocked to 3.6/4GHz, I've concluded that I get better performance in Win 10x64 build 15063 with the HPET disabled in Win10. I'd think anyone really into gaming isn't going to be enamored all that much with 1080P anyway--buying Ryzen and putting the savings into a better GPU & Monitor would seem the way to go, imo.

7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Hilbert, could you do a review next year to see the improvements Rizen got in 1 year?

8. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Hilbert what do you think about AdoredTVs finding about Ryzen's gaming performance.
    He tested Tomb Raider in both DX11 and 12 and found that when the NV card was changed for RX480s the sometimes ~30% lead of the 7700K melted to 6.5%

REMOVED CHARTS

...and OFC everyone tested Ryzen with NV cards as AMD at the moment cannot put anything high end to the line.

9. R3MM

R3MM Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    I'm a fan of Guru3d.com, I always find this site way better than others when doing reviews but there is something that I would really like to see, Could you please re-do the Ryzen Review but this time OC the Memory to 3400 or 3600 MHZ?, I've seen a YouTube Video showing this and the performance is phenomenal, Hilbert, I'm pretty sure your review would quickly get shared across the Internet if you do this.

Thanks

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    His Nvidia numbers are fake.
    [​IMG]

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am currently working on an article with showing the benefits of memory timings, tweaking and overclocking. To show you how to get the best perf and experience on a Ryzen platform. I already started, but would really like to wait on the micro-code firmware update. BTW if you guys value adore tv, then really you should not even be visiting Guru3D.com.

12. djmcave

djmcave Member

GPU:
    AMD 7950

The problem manifests on CPU bound Tasks.. If you lower the GPU it Starts being GPU bound and the diference get reduced... That's why you don't see big diferences on 1440p+ as its all GPU bound

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If that. AdoRed Leader :D is copypasta anyway

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  14. raminrostami

raminrostami Guest

GPU:
    amd
    now you can use 3800mhz ram on this board=

ryzen itself alon can support 6000mhz ram(50ftl graphic=4*1080) !!!!but for hard latency and high price ram above 3000mhz amd ask board creators to be under 3000 mhz

15. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Nice to see there's room for improvement on memory latency. Hopefully they'll get most of it ironed out before the next set of CPUs launches.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Wow that's some impressive charts right there. My next rig will have AMD CPU, it's crystal clear.

I personally don't care about RAM overclocking, timing etc... I want ultra stability of my system most and foremost, and RAM looks like a nightmare not worth any effort on the oc side.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I suppose this would be a good place to throw in this video: removed please do not link to that channel.

TL;DW - He believes nVidia's drivers have poor multi-threading leading to the poor Ryzen game results as the AMD cards perform much better.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @XenthorX
    as long as it has xmp/amp profile i dont mind oc the ram.
    does provide a big difference, as 2133 on 3770k (stock) produces ~32GB/s transfer rate.
    and it does help if you plan on ocing the cpu. around 3-3200 seems to be the best number.
    at least this way i dont have to worry about missing quad channel...

19. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Crossfire and Single card ain't comparing apples to apples. You add in scene one extra heavy thread for 2nd gpu, which only means 4C/8T will choke earlier compared to single card setup. On DX12 this extra thread is much lighter than it is under DX11. So it's not really fair comparision as it's own.

Also we can actually expect nvidia and AMD to release ryzen specific driver updates aswell.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Sorry, I only read your article I hadn't gone through the thread to see he was mentioned. I just thought it was interesting to mention, since it was on this topic, if there was any truth to it. I didn't know there was any problem.